This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020 Season Announcement

I found this one interesting. I don't remember seeing any advance blurbs from ABT. Perhaps this will be a premiere at the ABT fall season? It appears to be a one-act, sharing the program with two other ballets March 26-April 5. (There was a blurb about a new full-length Ratmansky, which apparently was planned for spring 2020 by ABT.)

THE SEASONS — San Francisco Ballet Premiere

Composer: Alexander Glazunov
Choreographer: Alexei Ratmansky

Co-commissioned with American Ballet Theatre, this anticipated premiere will be the seventh work by celebrated choreographer Alexei Ratmansky to join the SF Ballet repertoire.

Initial reactions:

• Excited for A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I don't recall this ever being done, at least since I began attending SFB in 2001
  • Excited for the return of Jewels!!!
  • Excited for the return of Morris's Sandpaper Ballet.  I think this may be the 20th anniversary of the piece.
  • Happy for new commissions from Trey McIntyre & Cathy Marston - what music will Mr. McIntyre choose and what literary work will Ms. Marston adapt???
  • Happy for a new Ratmansky piece
  • Finally get to see Anima Animus and The Infinite Ocean again, along with Bespoke.  As these are being performed in London, I expected to see them - along with Scarlett's Hummingbird
  • Disappointed not to see Scarlett's Die Toteninsel - or maybe that is the 'Work to be Announced' on Program 6?

Mark Morris uses Leroy Anderson music for The Sandpaper Ballet .  I think the information you saw re: Trey McIntrye using Leroy Anderson music might have been misplaced on the site.   It appears it's no longer there.

2 hours ago, sf_herminator said:

Initial reactions:

• Excited for A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I don't recall this ever being done, at least since I began attending SFB in 2001

The website says that they last did it 30 seasons ago.

2 hours ago, sf_herminator said:

Initial reactions:

• Excited for the return of Jewels!!!
  • Excited for the return of Morris's Sandpaper Ballet.  I think this may be the 20th anniversary of the piece.
  • Happy for new commissions from Trey McIntyre & Cathy Marston - what music will Mr. McIntyre choose and what literary work will Ms. Marston adapt???
  • Happy for a new Ratmansky piece
  • Finally get to see Anima Animus and The Infinite Ocean again, along with Bespoke.  As these are being performed in London, I expected to see them - along with Scarlett's Hummingbird
  • Disappointed not to see Scarlett's Die Toteninsel - or maybe that is the 'Work to be Announced' on Program 6?

My reaction is pretty much the same as your, sf_herminator - I'd rather see Die Toteninsel return than Hummingbird, myself. It feels like time for either a new Myles Thatcher work, or the return of one of Yuri's favorites. I'm actually a little disappointed that Anna Karenina or Nureyev is not being planned for.
And of course Tomasson hasn't worked on a new piece in a long while, but he's explained why that is difficult to do given the demands from other choreographers for time with the dancers. (The audience won't be weeping over this though.)

54 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

ITA with sf_herminator and pherank regarding the new season. 

Possokhov's Anna Kareinina is a co-production with The Australian Ballet so I expect it will be taken Down Under for the 2020 season.

You're right that Australian Ballet would need to perform AK first before anyone else gets a chance. I had forgotten about that.

5 hours ago, sf_herminator said:

Excited for A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I don't recall this ever being done, at least since I began attending SFB in 2001

Doug Fullington said in a pre-performance talk that SFB was going to use PNB's physical production, with sets and costumes by Martin Pakledinaz (RIP).  Rico Chiarelli is retiring at the end of this season as TD, but Peter Boal said he'd do some work next season as a freelance lighting designer, and maybe SFB will hire him to light AMSND, like he did for PNB.

3 minutes ago, Helene said:

Doug Fullington said in a pre-performance talk that SFB was going to use PNB's physical production, with sets and costumes by Martin Pakledinaz (RIP).  Rico Chiarelli is retiring at the end of this season as TD, but Peter Boal said he'd do some work next season as a freelance lighting designer, and maybe SFB will hire him to light AMSND, like he did for PNB.

Thanks, Helene. Makes sense - they will need to cut costs somehow.

Random thoughts...

We don't know if SVP, Chung and Scheller will be taking part in some or all of next season. That makes the Cinderella casting a big question mark, but there may be great opportunities for the young Corps dancers.

I can see De Sola dancing the Titania role in MND. I haven't really decided who else I would like to see as Titania. Birkkjaer and/or Robison as Oberon, and maybe Greco and Hernandez as Puck.

Assuming she's still performing, I'd like to see Sofiane take on the Rubies Pas De Deux (rather than the Tall Girl), if she can summon the manic energy. And Froustey as well for the pdd (it would be fun to compare her approach to Dupont's performance on video). Jen Stahl for the Tall Girl. I'd like to see De Sola and WanTing Zhao perform the lead in Diamonds.

I can see Yuan Yuan Tan as Titania. Also, Froustey.  The most beautiful part of that ballet is the divertissement pas de deux. Oberon has to move fast and execute brilliant batterie. I'm so looking forward to this next season. Arthur Miitchell created the role of Puck, so it's not necessarily a smaller man, unlike with Ashton's The Dream. 

As for Jewels, the Rublies female lead always seems to be the tiny principals at SFB, which does not happen in other companies. Greco is a shoo-in for Rubies.

I loved Hummingbird, so look forward to seeing it again. I'll never forget Feijoo in it. 

2 minutes ago, Josette said:

I can see Yuan Yuan Tan as Titania. Also, Froustey.  The most beautiful part of that ballet is the divertissement pas de deux. Oberon has to move fast and execute brilliant batterie. I'm so looking forward to this next season. Arthur Miitchell created the role of Puck, so it's not necessarily a smaller man, unlike with Ashton's The Dream. 

As for Jewels, the Rublies female lead always seems to be the tiny principals at SFB, which does not happen in other companies. Greco is a shoo-in for Rubies.

I loved Hummingbird, so look forward to seeing it again. I'll never forget Feijoo in it. 

I agree about Greco for the Rubies pdd. It would be disappointing if that didn't happen. I'd also like to see Frantziskonis and Powell given lead roles in a story ballet to see how they fare. Juliet in R & J? Cinderella?

I rarely seen any dancer who wasn't short or grazing medium in the McBride role in Rubies, either at NYCB, PNB, or SFB.  

I'd cast Tan in the Divertissement, although she'd make a fine Titania, too.  Sylve, too for the Divertissement. Sarah van Patten is the first dancer I thought of as central casting for Titania.

Thank you, Jane Simpson.  had not read the entire article from that link when I first saw it. Those performances will let us know who will be cast for Romeo and Juliet next season in SF. I think only Mathilde Froustey and Dores Andre remain as having danced in it the last time it was performed. Dores Andre performed Juliet when she was still a soloist and then was promoted to principal.  

You can file this under "Where does the money come from?"

One of the NEA grants for Spring of 2019 was awarded to:

San Francisco Ballet Association (aka San Francisco Ballet)
$40,000
San Francisco, CA
Art Works - Dance
To support the creation and presentation of a new work by choreographer Cathy Marston.

Just one of the many, many sources that must be cobbled together to pay for a season of dance.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, pherank said:

You can file this under "Where does the money come from?"

One of the NEA grants for Spring of 2019 was awarded to:

San Francisco Ballet Association (aka San Francisco Ballet)
$40,000
San Francisco, CA
Art Works - Dance
To support the creation and presentation of a new work by choreographer Cathy Marston.

Just one of the many, many sources that must be cobbled together to pay for a season of dance.

Funding does indeed resemble a quilt.  Or a mosaic.