This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2019 The Little Mermaid

35 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Mathilde Froustey posted some IG clips earlier this week rehearsing TLM title role (in her stories, so no longer linkable). Any other early casting news?

I've been wondering about this - Froustey talked about getting a short rest before beginning the last part of the season, which seemed to imply that she was involved in Little Mermaid. I wasn't expecting her to be cast in that ballet (at least not as the lead). Not that she couldn't handle the acting and dancing.

Does anyone remember which dancers have performed the lead role in the past? Tan, Feijoo and SVP?

I saw Tan and SVP; I remember Feijoo being cast, but don't remember if she ever danced it. SVP and Vanessa Zahorian both danced the princess, and IIRC, Madison Keesler learned the role as an understudy a long time ago but never performed it.

I'd love to see WanTing Zhao as TLM.

5 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

I saw Tan and SVP; I remember Feijoo being cast, but don't remember if she ever danced it. SVP and Vanessa Zahorian both danced the princess, and IIRC, Madison Keesler learned the role as an understudy a long time ago but never performed it.

I'd love to see WanTing Zhao as TLM.

I think Keesler was cast at the same time as Feijoo - that may be what I'm remembering. But I didin't go to that performance so didn't know about the casting switches. I only saw the first cast (twice, but with different dancers as the Princess, as I recall).

Totally agree about Zhao.

Yes, there were two casts that performed as the Mermaid, Tan and SVP, whom I both saw, with SVP and Vanessa as the Princess.  Feijoo was cast and was officially announced to dance the Mermaid with Madison Keesler as the Princess, but the casting was changed and they never performed the roles on stage.   

59 minutes ago, Josette said:

Yes, there were two casts that performed as the Mermaid, Tan and SVP, whom I both saw, with SVP and Vanessa as the Princess.  Feijoo was cast and was officially announced to dance the Mermaid with Madison Keesler as the Princess, but the casting was changed and they never performed the roles on stage.   

Thanks, Josette.

Well this seems to be Keesler's year of big roles, so maybe she'll finally get to use that knowledge this time around.

Opening Night casting is up:

Friday, April 19, 2019 – 8:00 pm

Choreography: John Neumeier
Music: Lera Auerbach
Conductor: Martin West

The Little Mermaid: Yuan Yuan Tan
Prince / Edvard: Aaron Robison
Poet / Hans Christian Andersen: Ulrik Birkkjaer
Princess / Henriette: Sasha De Sola

2 hours ago, PeggyTulle said:

Opening Night casting is up:

Also:  Sea Witch:  Wei Wang

Casting is subject to change.

https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting 

Edited by sf_herminator
59 minutes ago, sf_herminator said:

Also:  Sea Witch:  Wei Wang

Casting is subject to change.

https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting 

Thanks! That wasn't up when I looked earlier.

Sea Witch: Wei Wang

I have a ticket for Thursday, April 25, and was hoping that they would add a performance on the presently vacant Friday, April 26, so I would get in two casts.  I would love to see two of my favorite men in the company, Aaron Robison and Ulrik Birkjaer, in this ballet.  This is spot-on casting. 

Thanks for posting everybody!  I just looked yesterday to no avail.  So glad I didn't give away my ticket.  This is my dream cast!!!

Edited by seattle_dancer

SFB finally posted another cast of leads for The Little Mermaid, and some of you will be very happy for Wan Ting Zhao as the Mermaid! So happy for her! 

Also cast are Luke Ingham as the Prince, Tiit Helimets as the Poet (he will be wonderful), Dores Andre as Henriette, and Ben Freemantle as the Sea Witch.  This is for the Saturday matinee.  Now we wait to see if a third cast will be announced.  

On 4/14/2019 at 12:23 PM, Josette said:

SFB finally posted another cast of leads for The Little Mermaid, and some of you will be very happy for Wan Ting Zhao as the Mermaid! So happy for her! 

Also cast are Luke Ingham as the Prince, Tiit Helimets as the Poet (he will be wonderful), Dores Andre as Henriette, and Ben Freemantle as the Sea Witch.  This is for the Saturday matinee.  Now we wait to see if a third cast will be announced.  

YES!!! So excited for WanTing!

8 hours ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

More casting has been announced, but so far, no third cast!

I'm super excited for both casts!  WanTing felt a little underused up to this point in the season, so I'm really excited about her role!

I've seen videos of Mathilde rehearsing too, so I'm still holding out for another cast.

That certainly seems to be the plan, as she says she's been working with Mr. Neumeier himself:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwQcA6IHXFo/

It's a little weird though that she hasn't been cast yet. Maybe the idea of teaching Mathilde the role was a fairly recent one, and she didn't have the benefit of working on it last summer with the others.

Edited by pherank

Thrilled to see WanTing listed as the mermaid for 2nd cast. Agreed that both casts look very exciting. Am gnashing my teeth that I will likely have to miss this entire production. Sigh... So much good dance, so little time.

Casting for performances of The Little Mermaid through Saturday 4/27has been posted:  https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting

Casting is subject to change

THE LITTLE MERMAID

Prince / Edvard: Aaron Robison†*
Poet / Hans Christian Andersen: Ulrik Birkkjaer†*
Princess / Henriette: Sasha De Sola*
Sea Witch: Wei Wang†*

Saturday, April 20, 2019 – 2:00 pm

The Little Mermaid: WanTing Zhao†*
Prince / Edvard: Luke Ingham†*
Poet / Hans Christian Andersen: Tiit Helimets
Princess / Henriette: Dores Andre*
Sea Witch: Benjamin Freemantle†*

Saturday April 20, 2019 – 8:00 pm

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 – 7:30 pm

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 – 7:30 pm

The Little Mermaid: WanTing Zhao
Prince / Edvard: Luke Ingham
Poet / Hans Christian Andersen: Tiit Helimets
Princess / Henriette: Dores Andre
Sea Witch: Benjamin Freemantle

Thursday, April 25, 2019 – 7:30 pm

The Little Mermaid: Mathilde Froustey
Prince / Edvard: Carlo Di Lanno
Poet / Hans Christian Andersen: Nathaniel Remez
Princess / Henriette: Madison Keesler

Saturday, April 27, 2019 – 2:00 pm

The Little Mermaid: Mathilde Froustey
Prince / Edvard: Carlo Di Lanno

Saturday, April 27, 2019 – 8:00 pm

The 27th PM was updated:

Saturday, April 27, 2019 – 8:00 pm

Princess / Henriette: Dores Andre

1 hour ago, Josette said:

So, I will see opening night with Tan/Robison/Birkkjaer/De Sola/Wang and then Froustey/Di Lanno /Keesler/Freemantle with Nathaniel Remez in the important role of the Poet on the 26th.   

Josette do you mean Saturday the 27th? It doesn't look like there is anything scheduled for Friday the 26th - which is kind of interesting, actually. The SFB calendar shows that day as being an OFF day.