This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB 2019-2020 Season

2 hours ago, Xiaoyi said:

Thank you for the reply. In fact, I have ordered a new subscription of Orchestra C. The previous info scared the hell out of me.

I also found a picture of Row U. It seems tolerable. https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/68960/David+H.+Koch+Theater/section-Orchestra/row-U/seat-115/

Just FYI:

1) I don't often sit in the orchestra, but when I do I actually prefer to be further back because the rake is a little better that it is in the rows closer to the stage. (I also prefer sitting further back and a it off center to get a better view of the choreographic patterns, but that's a matter of personal taste.)

2) Also, if you ever want to see what the view is like when you are buying NYCB tickets, all you have to do is go to a date on the performance calendar, click on buy tickets, go to the section of the house that you're interested in, and then, when taken to the seating chart, click on the little camera icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen to enable a bunch of clickable camera icons spread over the seating chart. Click on one of those, and it will show you the view from that part of the house. (I hope that's clear!)

9 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Just FYI:

1) I don't often sit in the orchestra, but when I do I actually prefer to be further back because the rake is a little better that it is in the rows closer to the stage. (I also prefer sitting further back and a it off center to get a better view of the choreographic patterns, but that's a matter of personal taste.)

2) Also, if you ever want to see what the view is like when you are buying NYCB tickets, all you have to do is go to a date on the performance calendar, click on buy tickets, go to the section of the house that you're interested in, and then, when taken to the seating chart, click on the little camera icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen to enable a bunch of clickable camera icons spread over the seating chart. Click on one of those, and it will show you the view from that part of the house. (I hope that's clear!)

Thank you so much, Kathleen. It's clear enough.

I hear that many ballet fans like sitting on the higher tiers to get the big picture of the choreography. I will try that on single tickets.

8 hours ago, Leah said:

Strangely, Justin Peck is still listed as a soloist despite the earlier announcement that he would be transitioning out of dancing after last season.

Interesting. He also didn't end up dancing what I believe was supposed to have been his final performance, the last The Times are Racing that was Ashly Isaacs final appearance.

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Interesting. He also didn't end up dancing what I believe was supposed to have been his final performance, the last The Times are Racing that was Ashly Isaacs final appearance.

I thought that he said that he wasn't going to be a full-time soloist but would still dance in his own work.

1 minute ago, FPF said:

I thought that he said that he wasn't going to be a full-time soloist but would still dance in his own work.

I would rather they give that soloist slot to someone is actually a full time dancer, like Roman Mejia.

34 minutes ago, FPF said:

33 minutes ago, abatt said:

I would rather they give that soloist slot to someone is actually a full time dancer, like Roman Mejia.

I wonder if Peck's remaining on the roster is a function of union rules. Perhaps he'll be dancing too often to qualify as a guest. 

There are several soloists who only seem to dance once in blue moon, and you have to wonder why they're still on the roster.  (Not that they aren't fine dancers, but whether its a function of injury, outside gigs, or uncongenial repertory, they're barely a presence.)

I'm not sure when NYCB started to list ranks in the program, but I remember from the 80's when there would be soloists listed whom I rarely saw dance.  This could be the dancers who weren't being obviously fast-tracked, like Kistler, and who, after promotion, were in limbo, from which some soloists never seemed to emerge, or they were sometimes long-time soloists towards the end of their careers but who mostly kept old rep until they were cast out of that, too.  A rare character soloist might be kept on the roster, too.

26 minutes ago, jeff-sh said:

anyone got thru?

I bought two separate orders successfully between 12 and 12:15. However, I only received my print-at-home tickets for the second of those orders.

Good luck!

Edited by nanushka
On 7/24/2019 at 11:25 AM, Helene said:

I'm not sure when NYCB started to list ranks in the program, but I remember from the 80's when there would be soloists listed whom I rarely saw dance.  This could be the dancers who weren't being obviously fast-tracked, like Kistler, and who, after promotion, were in limbo, from which some soloists never seemed to emerge, or they were sometimes long-time soloists towards the end of their careers but who mostly kept old rep until they were cast out of that, too.  A rare character soloist might be kept on the roster, too.

Allegra Kent writes in her book that she was kept on the NYCB roster for years even though she only danced once per season or once a year. Balanchine knew she needed employment and allowed it out of respect for her and her past contribution. Plus I'm sure audiences were glad to see her onstage whenever she could manage it. I can't imagine things are at that level now, but it seems kind to give a dancer a soft landing if they're behaving in good faith. The repertory is so demanding and recovering from certain injuries can take years. 

3 hours ago, CTballetfan said:

I just got an email from NYCB offering a 30% discount on fall programs that I paid full price for last month as part of my subscription. Bummer! I will remember this next time they ask me for a donation, which I also give as an annual membership of $100. 

If it's any consolation, I believe that's 30% off of the face value of a non-subscription ticket, which costs about 15% more than a subscription ticket does for the same seat. But still ... 

3 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Allegra Kent writes in her book that she was kept on the NYCB roster for years even though she only danced once per season or once a year. Balanchine knew she needed employment and allowed it out of respect for her and her past contribution. Plus I'm sure audiences were glad to see her onstage whenever she could manage it. I can't imagine things are at that level now, but it seems kind to give a dancer a soft landing if they're behaving in good faith. The repertory is so demanding and recovering from certain injuries can take years. 

Allegra was a rare talent. IMO her natural ability and way of moving had tremendous impact on what became the NYCB "look," I don't think Mr. B would have done this for every dancer.

17 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

True, but Kent also writes that the board cut her off as soon as Balanchine was no longer compos mentis. Such an arrangement to benefit one dancer would be unlikely to work today. American dancers should have pensions, but there just ain't no way.

8 hours ago, dirac said:

True, but Kent also writes that the board cut her off as soon as Balanchine was no longer compos mentis. Such an arrangement to benefit one dancer would be unlikely to work today. American dancers should have pensions, but there just ain't no way.

American dancers do have pensions,  as members of AGMA.  However they can't access them until years after typical retirement age for a dancer.

18 hours ago, canbelto said:

Omg, herniated disc? Her recovery sounds really day by day and obviously I’m hoping she’s back sooner rather than later but this is the kind of injury where she really needs to let her body heal.

According to the podcast interview, she will be back to studio in September or October. She will probably miss the fall season.