This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB 2019-2020 Season

Information in today's New York Times:

The company will dance new ballets by Edwaard Liang, Lauren Lovette, Mr. Peck, Alexei Ratmansky, Jamar Roberts and Pam Tanowitz. Returning Balanchine works will include “Jewels,” “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” “Union Jack,” and, of course, “The Nutcracker.” And the season will feature the full-length “Swan Lake” choreographed by Mr. Martins, who has denied the accusations against him, which a company investigation later called uncorroborated.

https://nyti.ms/2TJsvC3

Edited by nanushka

Happy to see revivals of rarely performed Balanchine and Robbins works: JEROME ROBBINS’ Piano Pieces and Concertino,BALANCHINE’s “Variations” from Episodes, Haieff Divertimento and Sylvia: Pas de Deux. 

I know Suzanne Farrell Ballet performed Haieff and Miami and POB regularly performed Sylvia but I'm happy to see them at the home theater. They will be great vehicles for today's dancers. 

ETA: Plus Danses Concertantes, Divertimento from ‘Le Baiser de la Fée! La Source etc..so many other wonderful Balanchine ballets. And a Ratmansky new ballet. I've always thought he does some of his best work at NYCB. 

2 hours ago, Leah said:

Looking forward to Merce Cunningham’s Summerspace. I didn’t realize he’d been in NYCB’s repertoire!

Oh yes -- he taught in the school for a time and some of the company performed with him in various projects.  Despite Cunningham's compositional independence, there is a real kinesthetic commonality between ballet (especially as it's practiced at NYCB) and Cunningham technique.

It looks like there are some very interesting things coming up next year.I'm particularly looking forward to the Haieff Divertimento, which I've never seen, as well as  the Sylvia PDD, which I've only seen on tape. I'm also really looking forward to the new Ratmansky, whatever it is. 

7 minutes ago, abatt said:

Where are the calendars for the new season?  I don't see them on the company website.

I think that the press release that Leah linked to is the only thing currently posted.

I loved reading Miami City Ballet dancer's accounts of learning the Paul Taylor Episodes solo--there's a bit in an episode of Conversations on Dance in an interview with Eric Trope where he mentions that the dancers who learned the Episodes solo from Peter Frame were trying to get together to record and compile their notes and memories of the rehearsal process. I believe Ariel Rose (who recently choreographed a piece that was dedicated to Peter Frame for the students of Ballet Academy East), Eric Trope, Jovani Furlan, Neil Marshall, and I believe, according to the comments that were made, two others all learned it. I hope they've had the chance to do so. I'm hoping that Taylor Stanley is cast, and would be interested to see someone like Harrison Coll in the role as well. 

Article from Eric Trope on the rehearsal process with Frame: https://blog.conversationsondancepod.com/2018/09/18/remembering-my-time-with-peter-frame/ (I believe the MCB site has an interview with Furlan about the process at the time, as well)

Edited by gallerina
Remembered Neil Marshall was in the group that learned the solo!
On 3/29/2019 at 4:37 PM, FPF said:

It looks like there are some very interesting things coming up next year.I'm particularly looking forward to the Haieff Divertimento, which I've never seen, as well as  the Sylvia PDD, which I've only seen on tape. I'm also really looking forward to the new Ratmansky, whatever it is. 

I think that the press release that Leah linked to is the only thing currently posted.

On 3/29/2019 at 4:28 PM, abatt said:

Where are the calendars for the new season?  I don't see them on the company website.

According to the PR on the NYCB website subscriptions go on sale today. So calendars should be available.....today. 

I'm curious about the use of the title "Classic NYCB" to describe a program consisting of works by Balanchine, Robbins, Lovette and Liang (the latter two being premieres).

Also, the title "Masters at Work": I'm not sure how that's meant to set those particular programs (one in fall, on in spring) apart.

Edited by nanushka
2 minutes ago, nanushka said:

If you do a Google image search for "Koch Theater seating chart" you can see the entire layout — not sure if that's what you meant.

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I searched. The picture I attached is one of the results with 5 divisions.

But NYCB only provide 4 divisions in the subscription. Since I am considering Orchestra C, I am not sure where this category is located.

6 minutes ago, Xiaoyi said:

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I searched. The picture I attached is one of the results with 5 divisions.

But NYCB only provide 4 divisions in the subscription. Since I am considering Orchestra C, I am not sure where this category is located.

Ah yeah, I don't see that anywhere obvious on the website. I'd call the box office, if that's not too annoying.

10 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Ah yeah, I don't see that anywhere obvious on the website. I'd call the box office, if that's not too annoying.

In fact, I called.  

I didn't ask about Orchestra A since I cannot afford those.

Orchestra B is the mid-back area till Row Q and orchestra sides from No.5.

Orchestra C is Row R on two sides and Row S-U all.

Orchestra D is Row J-O sides from about No.20.

https://davidhkochtheater.com/DHKT/media/DHKT/FPO/DHKT-FullChart.pdf

Edited by Xiaoyi

I saw NYCB perform Summerspace when it was last in the rep - it was lovely, if clearly different from how Cunningham's own dancers performed it. I am so excited for thee return of the episodes solo (as in i threw my arms int the air and yelled YES at my desk). Peter Boal did it at one of the first Fall for Dance festivals and convinced me it should be put back in.  sad its happening when Taylor is no longer with us. 

On 4/1/2019 at 2:52 PM, Xiaoyi said:

In fact, I called.  

I didn't ask about Orchestra A since I cannot afford those.

Orchestra B is the mid-back area till Row Q and orchestra sides from No.5.

Orchestra C is Row R on two sides and Row S-U all.

Orchestra D is Row J-O sides from about No.20.

https://davidhkochtheater.com/DHKT/media/DHKT/FPO/DHKT-FullChart.pdf

I would be wary of the very back center of the orchestra (Rows T and U, well behind the horizontal aisle). I had seats there and could barely see the stage. I don't think the people in front of me were particularly tall either. I ended up standing by the doors.

Edited by BalanchineFan
2 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I would be wary of the very back center of the orchestra (well behind the horizontal aisle). I had seats there and could barely see the stage. I don't think the people in front of me were particularly tall either. I ended up standing by the doors.

Do you mean Orchestra C, Row R? 

Seems I really need some advice on seating of David Koch Theater. I have never been there before...

2 minutes ago, Xiaoyi said:

Do you mean Orchestra C, Row R? 

I have sat in the rear orchestra many times, including Row R and the rows behind it. I find the view of the stage to be fine, and I'm short. The seats are staggered enough that even if someone tall is in front of me, I can usually see around them. 

6 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I have sat in the rear orchestra many times, including Row R and the rows behind it. I find the view of the stage to be fine, and I'm short. The seats are staggered enough that even if someone tall is in front of me, I can usually see around them. 

Thank you for the reply. In fact, I have ordered a new subscription of Orchestra C. The previous info scared the hell out of me.

I also found a picture of Row U. It seems tolerable. https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/68960/David+H.+Koch+Theater/section-Orchestra/row-U/seat-115/anonymous-20170403171502.jpg

Edited by Xiaoyi