This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jovani Furlan joins NYCB

Facebook post from NYCB:

"We are happy to announce that Jovani Furlan will join New York City Ballet as a soloist this fall. Originally from Brazil, Jovani comes to us from Miami City Ballet, where he is currently a principal dancer.

Please join us in welcoming Jovani to the NYCB family."

Finally, replenishing the male soloist ranks. I see from his repertoire that he has danced many of the principal dancer roles in the NYCB repertoire. And he is young and appears tall. I wonder if he was recruited by recommendation of Edward Villella. Looking forward to seeing him dance in the fall.

He might have been one of the dancers who danced in the Broadway revival of Carousel (Renee Fleming was Nettie and Justin Peck did the choreography).......there were NYCB dancers who danced in it and a couple of MCB dancers did too, if I remember correctly. I don't have the program of that show anymore. He might have been one, so maybe he made contacts then or before. 

NYCB has long brought in men, not every year by any means, but enough not to be surprising.  (Plus the occasional woman, like Sylve.)  Gonzalo Garcia came from San Francisco Ballet and Ask La Cour from Royal Danish Ballet (like many before him), albeit through a family connection.

12 hours ago, Helene said:

NYCB has long brought in men, not every year by any means, but enough not to be surprising.  (Plus the occasional woman, like Sylve.)  Gonzalo Garcia came from San Francisco Ballet and Ask La Cour from Royal Danish Ballet (like many before him), albeit through a family connection.

I was around for the original "Danish Pastries"—Peter Martins, Helgi Tomasson, Adam Luders, and Ib Andersen—as well as Leonid Kozlov (Bolshoi), Robert LaFosse (ABT), and Sean Lavery (SFB and Frankfurt Opera Ballet). And of course, Joaquin DeLuz (ABT). Of the bunch of them, only LaFosse trained at SAB if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure I'm leaving someone out; I seem to recall that there were five Danish Pastries, but I'm drawing a blank.

In any event, there happens to be a bevvy of talented tall women coming up through the ranks, so there will be plenty of opportunities for the taller men in the corps.

10 minutes ago, abatt said:

I'm surprised that Harrison Coll is still in the corps.  He's performed many leading roles with distinction. 

I agree! 

27 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I'm sure I'm leaving someone out; I seem to recall that there were five Danish Pastries, but I'm drawing a blank.

If I remember my reading correctly, Erik Bruhn predated them all and was there for one unhappy season while Maria Tallchief was nearing the end of her NYCB career. 

Peter Schaufuss?

Edited by lmspear
Added question.
1 hour ago, abatt said:

I'm surprised that Harrison Coll is still in the corps.  He's performed many leading roles with distinction. 

I would very much hope that the bringing in of one talented dancer from another Company - albeit one rich in the Balanchine/Robbins/Peck traditions - would not preclude talented NYCB lads on the current roster in their career path/dedicated opportunities.  I'm certain that it won't ... and surely it can only enhance the overall richness of the Company as a whole.  After all at NYCB it is - as these things go - a very rare occurrence to bring a member in from the outside - and they must know that.  

Edited by meunier fan
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I was around for the original "Danish Pastries"—Peter Martins, Helgi Tomasson, Adam Luders, and Ib Andersen—as well as Leonid Kozlov (Bolshoi), Robert LaFosse (ABT), and Sean Lavery (SFB and Frankfurt Opera Ballet). And of course, Joaquin DeLuz (ABT). Of the bunch of them, only LaFosse trained at SAB if I'm not mistaken...

Nikolaj Hubbe is the 5th Danish pastry or Prince of Denmark.  Bruhn [primary NYC affiliation ABT], Baryshnikov, Zelensky.  Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux [POB]. 

Edited by maps
Just now, maps said:

Nikolaj Hubbe is the 5th Danish pastry or Prince of Denmark.  Bruhn [primary NYC affiliation ABT], Baryshnikov, Zelensky.  

Thank you. Both Hübbe and Zelensky were particular favorites of mine so I'm chagrined that I left them off the list. I forgot Lindsay Fischer, too. He wasn't around for long, but then neither was Baryshnikov.

2 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I was around for the original "Danish Pastries"—Peter Martins, Helgi Tomasson, Adam Luders, and Ib Andersen—as well as Leonid Kozlov (Bolshoi), Robert LaFosse (ABT), and Sean Lavery (SFB and Frankfurt Opera Ballet). And of course, Joaquin DeLuz (ABT). Of the bunch of them, only LaFosse trained at SAB if I'm not mistaken.

In any event, there happens to be a bevvy of talented tall women coming up through the ranks, so there will be plenty of opportunities for the taller men in the corps.

I agree! 

There was also the short-lived tenure of  Robert Tewsley.

NYCB attempted to hire( Joel?)  Carreno from Cuba, but ran into visa issues, if I recall. 

5 minutes ago, abatt said:

There was also the short-lived tenure of  Robert Tewsley.

Ah yes! He had the (dubious) distinction of portraying George Balanchine in Boris Eifman's Musagète, which NYCB comissioned in the early 2000's.  I swore that he left the company shortly thereafter just so he wouldn't have to dance the role again.

11 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Ah yes! He had the (dubious) distinction of portraying George Balanchine in Boris Eifman's Musagète, which NYCB comissioned in the early 2000's.  I swore that he left the company shortly thereafter just so he wouldn't have to dance the role again.

That ballet will never see the light of day at the Koch (or anywhere else)  again.  I remember Twesley partnering Whelan in Balanchine's Ballade, but they have never revived that ballet since. Tewsley left.   Why have they never revived that ballet in something like 20 years?

15 hours ago, Helene said:

NYCB has long brought in men, not every year by any means, but enough not to be surprising.

The list so far. Is anyone else missing? 

Ib Andersen
Charles Askegard
Mikhail Baryshnikov
Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux
Erik Bruhn
Joaquin DeLuz
Lindsay Fischer
Gonzalo Garcia
Nilolai Hübbe
Leonid Kozlov
Robert LaFosse
Ask la Cour
Sean Lavery
Adam Lüders
Peter Martins
Robert Tewsley
Mel Tomlinson
Helgi Tomasson
Igor Zelensky

Jeppe Mydtskov (RDB/Frankfurt)

Otto Neubert (Stuttgart)

There was also a French-born dancer who was the first to replace either Luders or D'amboise in Davidsbundlertanze, and I think there was a Finnish dancer who was in the company in the 80's and/or 90's.

Did Nilas Martin's ever go to SAB or apprentice at RDB?

Edited to add: in an attempt to be reminded of Alexandre Proia's name, I found the motherlode:

https://www.nycballet.com/Explore/Our-History/NYCB-Alumni.aspx

The "Finnish" guy I was thinking of was Mydtskov, who is Danish. 

More from a skim of the list:

Erlends Zieminch (best info I can find is training in Latvia)

Francois Perron (Bejart, Northern Ballet, Ballet du Nord, Joffrey)

Two Danes that I didn't know were at NYCB, but danced with PNB, are Aage Thordahl-Christensen and Ulrik Wivel, who was captured for all time in an iconic pose from the main pdd from Kent Stowell's Carmina Burana; he was, literally the poster (and bookmark and probably coffee mug) boy. 

Also Kenneth Greve and Peter Schaufuss are listed.

Also, Ivan Nagy and Royes Fernandez, whom I'd only seen at ABT.

If course, up until a certain point, almost everyone came from.somewhere else.