This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2019 Program 6: Space Between

Program 6

Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes
Composer: Aaron Copland
Choreographer: Justin Peck

Die Toteninsel
Choreographer: Liam Scarlett

Björk Ballet
Composers: Björk Gudmundsdottir, Alejandro Ghersi, and Sjón
Choreographer: Arthur Pita

"Join SF Ballet’s Jennie Scholick, to learn about Program 06: Space Between. From Justin Peck’s Rodeo, to Liam Scarlett’s Die Toteninsel, to Arthur Pita’s Björk Ballet, this program has something for everyone. Hear about the creative process, the music, and what to look for in these three ballets."

https://sfballet.blog/2019/03/14/to-the-pointe-space-between/

Edited by pherank

Casting has been posted for opening night of Program 6-Space Between - https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting

Casting is subject to change.

SPACE BETWEEN

Friday, March 29, 2019 – 8:00 pm

Choreography: Justin Peck
Music: Aaron Copland
Conductor: Martin West

Sofiane Sylve
Carlo Di Lanno
Esteban Hernandez
Hansuke Yamamoto
Wei Wang

Die Toteninsel (world premiere performance)
Choreography: Liam Scarlett
Music: Sergei Rachmaninoff

Esteban Hernandez
Lauren Strongin
Joseph Walsh
Dores Andre
Vitor Luiz
Wei Wang

Björk Ballet
Choreography: Arthur Pita
Music: Composers: Björk Gudmundsdottir, Alejandro Ghersi, and Sjón

Carmela Mayo
Dores Andre
Elizabeth Powell
Joseph Walsh
Luke Ingham
Ulrik Birkkjaer

*Will be nice to see Lauren Strongin back onstage in Liam Scarlett's new piece, which takes its title from the music - Rachmaninov's The Isle of Dead.  I was wondering who would dance Maria Kochetkova's role in Björk Ballet - looks like Carmela Mayo.  Elizabeth Powell will dance Sarah Van Patten's parts.  And Joseph Walsh will make his debut in the piece.

Edited by sf_herminator

Casting for Sunday 3/31, Wednesday 4/3, and Thursday 4/4 performances - https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting

Casting is subject to change.

SPACE BETWEEN

Sunday, March 31, 2019 – 2:00 pm

Sofiane Sylve
Carlo Di Lanno
Esteban Hernandez
Hansuke Yamamoto
Wei Wang

Die Toteninsel

Cavan Conley
Jahna Frantziskonis
Max Cauthorn
WanTing Zhao
Luke Ingham
Steven Morse

Björk Ballet

Carmela Mayo
Dores Andre
Elizabeth Powell
Joseph Walsh
Luke Ingham
Ulrik Birkkjaer

* Second cast for Scarlett's Die Toteninsel.  Another great opportunity for new Corps member Cavan Conley

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 – 7:30 pm

Dores Andre
Ulrik Birkkjaer
Max Cauthorn
Daniel Deivison-Oliveira
Cavan Conley

Die Toteninsel

Cavan Conley
Jahna Frantziskonis
Max Cauthorn
WanTing Zhao
Luke Ingham
Steven Morse

Björk Ballet

Miranda Silveira
Ellen Rose Hummel
Madison Keesler
Wei Wang
Henry Sidford
John-Paul Simoens

*Cavan Conley debuts in Peck's Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes.  Looks like he will be in the trio with Max & Daniel.  I looked at last year's cast sheets to see who he was replacing - it's James Sofranko, who came to my mind when I saw Cavan in Peck's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming.  Also, second cast for Björk Ballet.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 – 7:30 pm

Sofiane Sylve
Carlo Di Lanno
Esteban Hernandez
Hansuke Yamamoto
Wei Wang

Die Toteninsel

Esteban Hernandez
Lauren Strongin
Joseph Walsh
Dores Andre
Vitor Luiz
Wei Wang

Björk Ballet

Carmela Mayo
Dores Andre
Elizabeth Powell
Luke Ingham
Joseph Walsh
Ulrik Birkkjaer

My first post in this forum!

I didn't care for Rodeo, probably because I don't care for Aaron Copeland. It's hard for me to take something seriously on an artistic level that was once used to sell beef.

I had no expectation of Die Toteninsel, but the deeply ominous atmosphere of doom had me entranced. Loved this.

Bjork Ballet... boy. It has its moments, but the choreography misses the mark by a wide margin. A rave is IMO supposed to be a modern example of ecstatic dancing, but because of the precariousness of that platform, whoever's on top of it has to be mindful with their dancing. Where was the abandon, the energy? Combined with the staging where dancers clumped around each other, it was an entirely underwhelming effect, and having it set to Hyperballad underscores just how small and sparse that section feels. (I was sort of hoping for/expecting something like the rush of seeing a huge crowd of dancers like at the end of Etudes, which I saw a few weeks ago and was floored by.)

28 minutes ago, leee said:

My first post in this forum!

I didn't care for Rodeo, probably because I don't care for Aaron Copeland. It's hard for me to take something seriously on an artistic level that was once used to sell beef.

I had no expectation of Die Toteninsel, but the deeply ominous atmosphere of doom had me entranced. Loved this.

Bjork Ballet... boy. It has its moments, but the choreography misses the mark by a wide margin. A rave is IMO supposed to be a modern example of ecstatic dancing, but because of the precariousness of that platform, whoever's on top of it has to be mindful with their dancing. Where was the abandon, the energy? Combined with the staging where dancers clumped around each other, it was an entirely underwhelming effect, and having it set to Hyperballad underscores just how small and sparse that section feels. (I was sort of hoping for/expecting something like the rush of seeing a huge crowd of dancers like at the end of Etudes, which I saw a few weeks ago and was floored by.)

Thanks for posting, Leee.  We hope it becomes a trend.  ;)

I like Copland, but I'm not sure I like the placement of the Rodeo music in a totally different, non-Western context. I'm not set against anyone giving it a try though.  ;)

Additional casting...

I'll be seeing the Sat pm performance, and am particularly looking forward to Die Toteninsel. Seems it's being reviewed well, and I'm crazy about the Rachmaninoff tone poem it's set to. Only regret is that I can't see both casts.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 – 7:30 pm

Conductor: Ming Luke

Dores Andre
Ulrik Birkkjaer
Max Cauthorn
Daniel Deivison-Oliveira
Cavan Conley

Die Toteninsel

Esteban Hernandez
Lauren Strongin
Joseph Walsh
Dores Andre
Vitor Luiz
Wei Wang

Björk Ballet

Miranda Silveira
Ellen Rose Hummel
Madison Keesler
Wei Wang
Henry Sidford
John-Paul Simoens

Saturday, April 6, 2019 – 2:00 pm

Dores Andre
Ulrik Birkkjaer
Max Cauthorn
Daniel Deivison-Oliveira
Cavan Conley

Die Toteninsel

Cavan Conley
Jahna Frantziskonis
Max Cauthorn
WanTing Zhao
Luke Ingham
Steven Morse

Björk Ballet

Miranda Silveira
Ellen Rose Hummel
Madison Keesler
Wei Wang
Henry Sidford
John-Paul Simoens

Saturday, April 6, 2019 – 8:00 pm

Sofiane Sylve
Carlo Di Lanno
Esteban Hernandez
Hansuke Yamamoto
Wei Wang

Die Toteninsel

Esteban Hernandez
Lauren Strongin
Joseph Walsh
Dores Andre
Vitor Luiz
Wei Wang

Björk Ballet

Carmela Mayo
Dores Andre
Elizabeth Powell
Joseph Walsh
Luke Ingham
Ulrik Birkkjaer

Well, I loved Die Toteninsel [last Sat pm] and I'm not all that surprised. The music, after all. I was surprised how much I enjoyed "Rodeo" and I'm glad I got this chance to see a different side of Peck's choreography. I liked the contrast in stage lighting of all three of the program's ballets (I ranted about "dark" stage lighting in the thread for Program 5.) I liked the contrasts in the program in general (again, ranted in the other thread about this too-homogenous feeling I got from Program 5). The dancing in "Rodeo" was all supreme. So happy to see Sofiane Sylve, and she looked amazing. Nice pas de deus with Carlo. Esteban Hernandez was on fire all weekend long; the trio work with him, Wei Wang and Hansuke was well delivered. Ditto for the "other" group of males: Cauthorn, Freemantle, Castilla, Morse, Orza. Orchestra sounded wonderful; I will always gravitate to the ballets with orchestral classical music. 

Die Toteninsel was dark, yes (and not just figuratively), but it was supremely effective. So good to see Lauren Strongin dancing; she had a beautiful pas de deux with Joe Walsh, also a great dancer to see, whom I haven't seen enough of this season. The tireless Esteban Hernandez did a great job here, too, as did Luke Ingham (stepping in for Vitor Luiz), Dores André and Wei Wang. The whole cast looked great. I hope this one gets repeated next year; it's a winner.

I was fine watching Bjork Ballet last year, but didn't feel compelled to see it a second time. Oh well. I'm not about to complain about surplus time spent watching these great dancers. Elizabeth Powell just tore up the stage in the role SVP had last year. She was very exciting to watch; it seems she is having a stunning season, growing as a dancer by leaps and bounds (no pun intended). Carmela Mayo danced the role Masha had last year - talk about an impossible act to follow. She did just fine, but wasn't able to produce the "wow" factor, and I would have been shocked if she had. Masha just isn't someone who can be easily subbed. But it was exciting to see Mayo give it a strong go. I also enjoyed seeing Ulrik Birkkjaer dance - another of those dancers I haven't gotten the chance to see too much of this past season.

Great program. 

4 hours ago, Terez said:

I also enjoyed seeing Ulrik Birkkjaer dance - another of those dancers I haven't gotten the chance to see too much of this past season.

Great program. 

If you tend to see the matinees then you will often miss 1st casts. Fortunately, this is a company with an awful lot of talented "seconds".   ;)
That may be why you haven't seen as much of Walsh and Birkkjaer this season - they're both getting a fair number of 1st cast lead roles.

It's good to hear that the audience is liking the latest Scarlett as much or more than his past efforts for SFB.

5 hours ago, pherank said:

Tonight's Instagram post by Lauren Strongin (regarding Die Toteninsel) gave me pause:

"This experience has been beyond all expectations. So thrilled to get out there one last time tonight. Thanks to all who helped me get here. It’s been a real dream."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwDQc7TAMjz/

I'm not sure yet what it means.

Evan McKie's Instragram stories today are valedictory in tone and state pretty clearly that she is retiring from the stage.

"Sending joy to you tonight for your SF farewell, my beautiful friend @lcstrongin"

"@lcstrongin, So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, adieu. Beautiful princess. @sfballet"

13 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Evan McKie's Instragram stories today are valedictory in tone and state pretty clearly that she is retiring from the stage.

"Sending joy to you tonight for your SF farewell, my beautiful friend @lcstrongin"

"@lcstrongin, So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, adieu. Beautiful princess. @sfballet"

His original post was simply, "thoughts with you Lauren", but of course that just made me wonder more what was going on.

Well this is unexpected and sad. I wonder if her absence has been due to a larger health problem and not an athletic-type injury. I wish her well.

EDIT: Strongin mentioned more than once in interviews that if she wasn't dancing she would want to be a doctor. Looking on the bright side, perhaps she decided that it was time to get started on that course of action - it's quite an investment of time and money.

Edited by pherank

When I saw Lauren in what is now known as her last performance I thought how lucky SFB was to have this ballerina on its roster, and was full of hope we would get to see her more often, if not this season then next year. I am so sad to learn it will not be the case. She will be missed. 

Well. My seeing this performance was doubly amazing, then. It's always so touching and poignant to watch a married couple in a pas de deux, especially one so poignant and emotionally loaded as Die Toteninsel. It is triply poignant now.