This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi Swan Lake Chicago Jun 2020

On 3/18/2019 at 6:44 PM, mussel said:

Yes, it's a typo, I meant to type 2020.  Maybe the mod can correct the title.

FYI: as first poster (and thread creator) you have the ability to edit your first post, and that includes the title. Editing any of your other posts in the thread will not allow you access to the thread title.

The trouble with the Front Balcony is the distance.  Likewise the Dress Circle, the last part of the Orchestra.

I think there are a few Dress Circle seats which are partly obstructed by (slim) posts supporting the balcony above, indicated on the seating charts by dark disks with exclamation points on them; but the Auditorium seats nearly 4000:  It's a huge opera house, not ideal for ballet IMO but with better sight lines than the Met, where I sometimes sit in whatever the lowest balcony is called in there.  (The Parterre?)

The point is, most of the seats, while unobstructed by the people in front of you - unlike on the Met's main floor, because of the unusually steep and progressive rake in the Auditorium, increasing toward the back - are pretty far back.  (Not a lot of seats where you get the "emanations," toward the back of this place - you can easily wind up feeling outside the event.)   

I like the center of Row P - seats numbered in the 300's - on the main floor because it's not so close as to be too low.  The first ten rows of the Front Orchestra are very risky to being blocked for someone like me who is 5'8" in his socks, though things do get better toward the back of this section.  But Row P, being the first row of the Back Orchestra, is a bit higher than the gradual progression in the Front Orchestra would put it, and I prefer it to Row O, right in front of it, an extra step down into the Front Orchestra.  Likewise Row Q is better than Row O, IMO.  (I was glad to watch some performances of ABT's Whipped Cream from Rows P and Q in April.)

Edited by Jack Reed

beware: they use dynamic pricing, as of now, they bumped the cheapest pricing from $50 to $65 on Sat 7:30 and Sund 2pm. And i bet they keep the front orchestra for pricing and selling later. There are still $50 tickets available on Friday and Sat 2pm. All the best to all.

Edited by YID
On 4/2/2020 at 7:43 AM, YID said:

The Chicago is trying to negotiate for a later date, but definitely not June, just spoke with them. let's hope for COVID to be over soon

I received this email today from the theater. I greatly look forward to being able to see these performances. Just noticed this is for 2021, not this year.

Bolshoi Ballet — Swan Lake

The Auditorium Theatre is committed to rescheduling the Bolshoi Ballet's Swan Lake performances. We are currently looking at the fall of 2021, but have been unable to finalize plans due to the ongoing uncertainty created by COVID-19. We will continue to keep you informed as we learn more.

Your tickets will be re-issued as soon as new dates are finalized, and you will retain your original seats.

Edited by Buddy
40 minutes ago, Buddy said:

The Auditorium Theatre is committed to rescheduling the Bolshoi Ballet's Swan Lake performances. We are currently looking at the fall of 2021, but have been unable to finalize plans due to the ongoing uncertainty created by COVID-19. We will continue to keep you informed as we learn more.

And if we're lucky, Bolshoi will bring the Ratmansky Giselle to the Kennedy Center that same fall! Here's hoping!