This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Paquita KennCen Oct 8-13, 19

Clues to possible Paquita castings in DC. The recent lead pairings for this ballet at home, season 2018/2019, have included:

Terioshkina/Askerov

Khoreva/Zverev once, then Khoreva/Parish

Batoeva/Schklyarov

Kolegova/Parish

Kondaurova/Yermakov premiered the ballet during the March 2017 Mariinsky Festival and danced it once or twice thereafter but not in the past year.  Skorik/Parish danced it in summer 2018 but not since (maternity leave?).

Compared to the principals announced for the Bayaderes in Costa Mesa: 

Neither Somova nor Kim have danced this full version of Paquita, that I could tell. If they dance it in DC, it would be debuts for both.  Khoreva, Kondaurova and Batoeva have all been announced for Costa Mesa so perhaps they'll be our Paquitas in DC the previous week?  Schklyarov, Askerov and Yermakov have been announced as Solors in Costa Mesa, so perhaps they'll be in Paquita as Andres? I'm still holding hope that Terioshkina may be tapped for the DC leg of the tour; otherwise, Kondaurova may be the only female principal at the Kennedy Center.

Of course, I'm depending on the veracity of the Mariinsky's archived playbills.

Edited by Roberta

Casting:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tue., Oct. 8 at 7:30 p.m.
Paquita: Viktoria Tereshkina
Andrés: Timur Askerov
Cristina: Yekaterina Chebykina
Carducha: Renata Shakirova
Young Gypsy Man: Roman Belyakov
Clemente: David Zaleyev
Paquita’s Friends: May Nagahisa, Vlada Borodulina, Anastasia Nuikina, Daria Ionova

Grand Pas Variations (Act III)
1. by Anna Pavlova in the ballet King Candaules: May Nagahisa
2. Le Corsaire: Vlada Borodulina
3. by Alexandra Shaposhnikova in the ballet Paquita: Anastasia Nuikina
4. by Maria Gorshenkova in the ballet King Candaules: Daria Ionova
5. From the ballet Camargo: Yekaterina Chebykina
6. by Anna Johansson in the ballet Paquita: Viktoria Tereshkina

Wed., Oct. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
Paquita: Maria Khoreva 
Andrés: Konstantin Zverev
Cristina: Maria Shirinkina
Carducha: Maria Bulanova
Young Gypsy Man: Alexander Romanchikov
Clemente: Victor Caixeta
Paquita’s Friends: Anastasia Lukina, Alexandra Khiteeva, Yekaterina Petrova, Yana Selina

1. by Anna Pavlova in the ballet King Candaules: Anastasia Lukina
2. Le Corsaire: Alexandra Khiteeva
3. by Alexandra Shaposhnikova in the ballet Paquita: Yekaterina Petrova
4. by Maria Gorshenkova in the ballet King Candaules: Yana Selina
5. From the ballet Camargo: Maria Shirinkina
6. by Anna Johansson in the ballet Paquita: Maria Khoreva

Thu., Oct. 10 at 7:30 p.m.
Paquita: Nadezhda Batoeva
Andrés: Xander Parish
Paquita’s Friends: May Nagahisa, Vlada Borodulina, Anastasia Nuikina, Daria Ionova

6. by Anna Johansson in the ballet Paquita: Nadezhda Batoeva

Fri., Oct. 11 at 7:30 p.m.
Paquita’s Friends: Anastasia Lukina, Alexandra Khiteeva, Yekaterina Petrova, Yana Selina

1. by Anna Pavlova in the ballet King Candaules: Maria Iliushkina

Sat., Oct. 12 at 1:30 p.m.
Paquita’s Friends: Maria Iliushkina Vlada Borodulina, Anastasia Nuikina, Daria Ionova

Sat., Oct. 12 at 7:30 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 13 at 1:30 p.m.

Indeed! Excited for Tereshkina. Also, very excited for the Friends casting. 

Nagahisa, Ionova and Nuykina were kinda a given (nor am I overly excited for them, but whatever) but Illiushkina, Borodulina, and Khiteeva! Very, very excited for them— however there appears to be a typo/confusion on the casting regarding Lukina/Illiushkina/Nagahisa on the list of variations for Grand Pas. 

Either way, this will be the first time American audiences will be seeing Khiteeva, Illiushkina and Borodulina in prominent Soloist roles, and as I’ve been following those three for quite some time, I am very excited to see them in action. 

On 7/22/2019 at 10:26 PM, annaewgn said:

Indeed! Excited for Tereshkina. Also, very excited for the Friends casting. 

Nagahisa, Ionova and Nuykina were kinda a given (nor am I overly excited for them, but whatever) but Illiushkina, Borodulina, and Khiteeva! Very, very excited for them— however there appears to be a typo/confusion on the casting regarding Lukina/Illiushkina/Nagahisa on the list of variations for Grand Pas. 

Either way, this will be the first time American audiences will be seeing Khiteeva, Illiushkina and Borodulina in prominent Soloist roles, and as I’ve been following those three for quite some time, I am very excited to see them in action. 

Is this the cast you would recommend seeing? I have seen Timur Askerov 3 years in a row at KC, and I find him a fine dancer, but not terribly inspiring. I admit I was hoping for Kimin Kim!

I saw Khoreva last year in Corsaire, and she shows some promise, but maybe I should give her a few more years to develop. I liked Batoeva's Gamzatti a lot 2 years ago.

So, who should I see this year? I'll only get tickets to a single performance - I'm not that much of a fan of Paquita, and NYCB tickets are eating much of my ballet budget for the coming season.

1 hour ago, lacdescygnes said:

Is this the cast you would recommend seeing? I have seen Timur Askerov 3 years in a row at KC, and I find him a fine dancer, but not terribly inspiring. I admit I was hoping for Kimin Kim!

I saw Khoreva last year in Corsaire, and she shows some promise, but maybe I should give her a few more years to develop. I liked Batoeva's Gamzatti a lot 2 years ago.

So, who should I see this year? I'll only get tickets to a single performance - I'm not that much of a fan of Paquita, and NYCB tickets are eating much of my ballet budget for the coming season.

Well, I definitely woulda suggest Viktoria Tereshkina, but since you weren't overly inspired by Askerov (and you've seen him 3 times), maybe a Nadezhda Batoeva show? I quite like Batoeva, and I'm starting to enjoy Parrish (though I understand where people's complaints of him come). 

However the rest of Tereshkina's cast (looking at her Sat. Matinee specifically), seems to be relatively strong. Chebyakina I've heard is inconsistent so I don't know how'd she do here, but Renata Shakirova is absolutely stunning, and Belyakov + Zaleev are strong. This is the cast of friends that I am most excited about-- Illiushkina and Borodulina are both a part of it. I'm definitely aiming to go to this show. I'm not looking forward to having to sit through a Nuikina variation, or Ionova for that matter, but that was a given. 

Batoeva's cast (I'm looking at Saturday), I think is also relatively strong. Parrish isn't many people's favorites, but I think he's actually quite charming, Maria Shirinkina is a gem, I am also not looking forward to having to see Bulanova (I don't think she's nearly as impressive as people seem to claim), Romanichkov I'm not too sure about (I just don't know much about him), but Caixeta seems incredibly promising, and a lot of fun to watch perform. As for the friends, it's a relatively experienced cast. Lukina is a Second Soloist, and I really like her, though some people have said she's inconsistent. Khiteeva is the only newbie in this cast, and while she's technically outstanding, she is quite boring-- I would like to see if being in a company and working with Mariinsky coaches could bring that out of her. Petrova + Selina are stunning as well. 

I'm definitely going to try one of the Saturday or Sunday shows, but my luck in catching the Mariinsky hasn't been so great! 

3 hours ago, Roberta said:

Wonderful castings, overall. Especially looking forward to Tereshkina and Batoeva, among the Paquitas. Also, I believe that this is the first time that we'll see Renata Shakirova at the Kennedy Center. :clapping:

Assuming travel plans hold, I am looking forward to all the casts as well — ditto regarding Tereshkina and Batoeva especially.

I did not see it myself, but I had thought Shakirova was cast as the Tsar Maiden when the company brought Little Humpbacked Horse to D.C.  

23 hours ago, annaewgn said:

Well, I definitely woulda suggest Viktoria Tereshkina, but since you weren't overly inspired by Askerov (and you've seen him 3 times), maybe a Nadezhda Batoeva show? I quite like Batoeva, and I'm starting to enjoy Parrish (though I understand where people's complaints of him come). 

However the rest of Tereshkina's cast (looking at her Sat. Matinee specifically), seems to be relatively strong. Chebyakina I've heard is inconsistent so I don't know how'd she do here, but Renata Shakirova is absolutely stunning, and Belyakov + Zaleev are strong. This is the cast of friends that I am most excited about-- Illiushkina and Borodulina are both a part of it. I'm definitely aiming to go to this show. I'm not looking forward to having to sit through a Nuikina variation, or Ionova for that matter, but that was a given. 

Batoeva's cast (I'm looking at Saturday), I think is also relatively strong. Parrish isn't many people's favorites, but I think he's actually quite charming, Maria Shirinkina is a gem, I am also not looking forward to having to see Bulanova (I don't think she's nearly as impressive as people seem to claim), Romanichkov I'm not too sure about (I just don't know much about him), but Caixeta seems incredibly promising, and a lot of fun to watch perform. As for the friends, it's a relatively experienced cast. Lukina is a Second Soloist, and I really like her, though some people have said she's inconsistent. Khiteeva is the only newbie in this cast, and while she's technically outstanding, she is quite boring-- I would like to see if being in a company and working with Mariinsky coaches could bring that out of her. Petrova + Selina are stunning as well. 

I'm definitely going to try one of the Saturday or Sunday shows, but my luck in catching the Mariinsky hasn't been so great! 

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I think I'll go with Batoeva/Parrish then - I've never seen him, and I always welcome the chance to form my own opinion of dancers

I got tickets for all three casts on the weekend of October 12-13.  Never have seen a full-length "Paquita".  I was curious about this production and it seems that it is by Yuri Smekalov and includes a new libretto and some of his choreography to added music to the Delvadez.  From the Mariinsky website:  https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/2017/4/6/1_1900

"Continuing to revive titles that are significant for the playbill of St Petersburg ballet, the Mariinsky Theatre is presenting a new version of Paquita. This is not a revival of the 19th century production, created in Paris by the ballet-master Joseph Mazilier and which was performed in St Petersburg from 1847 with choreography by Marius Petipa. Choreographer Yuri Smekalov is working on a new three-act ballet using his own libretto based on the plot of the novella La gitanilla by Cervantes. The basis of the score of the new ballet comprises music by Édouard Deldevez that was composed for the Paris premiere of Paquita in 1846. Yet today this one-and-a-half-century-old opus will sound different: the order of the numbers has changed, several of them have been re-orchestrated and, moreover, Deldevez' score has been added to by excerpts from works by Minkus and Drigo. The famous wedding Grand pas staged by Marius Petipa to music by Minkus, which triumphantly crowned the plot of the St Petersburg production, will occupy its place of honour in the new ballet, too. This parade of classical dance that demonstrates the skill of the corps de ballet and the virtuoso qualities of the ballerina and the soloists appeared in the 1881 production, and as an independent piece, unconnected with the ballet's plot, it has survived to this day. It is true that over the decades Petipa's choreographic text has undergone many changes. In the contemporary Paquita, the Grand pas will be included in a version brought close to the historic original – Yuri Burlaka is reviving Petipa's choreography using surviving records of the production from the early 20th century. The new ballet, which combines dances and scenes created by Yuri Smekalov, together with historic rarities, will be a hommage to the golden age of classical ballet, a mark of respect and gratitude of the new ballet generation to the aesthetics of the unsurpassed master of classicism – Marius Petipa."

Premiere: 30 March 2017, Mariinsky Theatre

Running time 3 hours 
The performance has two intervals

Yekaterina Petrova appears to be out. The casting isn't clear but I would assume she's been replaced by Shamala Guseinova: 

3. by Alexandra Shaposhnikova in the ballet Paquita: Shamala Guseinova 

This is for wednesday, friday, and saturday night performances. Not overly positive, as the website is unclear. 

Tomorrow! The U.S. premiere of Mariinsky's PAQUITA    
Mon, Oct 7, 2019 10:45 am
The Kennedy Center (Info@Kennedy-Center.org)To:you Details

Mariinsky Ballet returns with new choreography in a timeless tale of truth and love.

Kennedy Center Logo

Mariinsky Ballet: Paquita

Rarely performed in its entirety, Mariinsky's Paquita will be a performance to remember!

Oct. 8–13 | Opera House

See the lavish new full production

WATCH: New choreography, same timeless story!

Marking its 18th consecutive season performing with us, the Mariinsky opens the new season with a ballet event of the highest order. Most famous for its Act III “Grand Pas” wedding scene, Paquita is a glittering showcase of classical technique, dazzling tutus, and non-stop virtuosic turns. 

This 19th-century treasure is rarely performed in its entirety and, after treating our audiences to the Grand Pas in 2016, the company now brings the U.S. premiere of its lavish new full production featuring new choreography!

Casting highlights include:

Paquita

Viktoria Tereshkina

Oct. 8
Oct. 12 (mat.)

Maria Khoreva

Oct. 9
Oct. 11
Oct. 13

Nadezhda Batoeva

Oct. 10
Oct. 12 (eve.)

Andrés

Timur Askerov

Oct. 8
Oct. 12 (mat.)

Konstantin Zverev

Oct. 9
Oct. 11
Oct. 13

Xander Parish

Oct. 10
Oct. 12 (eve.)

*$59/$79 offer valid on select Orchestra seats for Paquita on Oct. 8 & 9 at 7:30 p.m. Offer subject to availability. Not valid in combination with any other offer. Not valid on previously purchased tickets. Offer may be withdrawn at any time without notice. Service fees may apply.

Performance Timing: Act I - 45 min.; Intermeission - 20 min.; Act II - 35 min.; Intermission - 20 min.; Act III - 50 min.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paquita: Viktoria Tereshkina

Andrés: Timur Askerov

Cristina: Yekaterina Chebykina

Carducha: Renata Shakirova

Young Gypsy Man: Roman Belyakov

Clemente: David Zaleyev

Paquita’s Friends: May Nagahisa, Vlada Borodulina, Anastasia Nuikina, Daria Ionova

Grand Pas Variations (Act III)

1. by Anna Pavlova in the ballet King Candaules: May Nagahisa

2. Le Corsaire: Vlada Borodulina

3. by Alexandra Shaposhnikova in the ballet Paquita: Anastasia Nuikina

4. by Maria Gorshenkova in the ballet King Candaules: Daria Ionova

5. From the ballet Camargo: Yekaterina Chebykina

6. by Anna Johansson in the ballet Paquita: Viktoria Tereshkina

Paquita: Maria Khoreva

Andrés: Konstantin Zverev

Cristina: Maria Shirinkina

Carducha: Maria Bulanova

Young Gypsy Man: Alexander Romanchikov

Clemente: Victor Caixeta

Paquita’s Friends: Anastasia Lukina, Alexandra Khiteeva, Yekaterina Petrova, Yana Selina

1. by Anna Pavlova in the ballet King Candaules: Anastasia Lukina

2. Le Corsaire: Alexandra Khiteeva

3. by Alexandra Shaposhnikova in the ballet Paquita: Shamala Guseinova

4. by Maria Gorshenkova in the ballet King Candaules: Yana Selina

5. From the ballet Camargo: Maria Shirinkina

6. by Anna Johansson in the ballet Paquita: Maria Khoreva

Paquita: Nadezhda Batoeva

Andrés: Xander Parish

Paquita’s Friends: May Nagahisa, Vlada Borodulina, Anastasia Nuikina, Daria Ionova

6. by Anna Johansson in the ballet Paquita: Nadezhda Batoeva

Paquita’s Friends: Anastasia Lukina, Alexandra Khiteeva, Yekaterina Petrova, Yana Selina

Paquita’s Friends: Maria Iliushkina Vlada Borodulina, Anastasia Nuikina, Daria Ionova

1. by Anna Pavlova in the ballet King Candaules: Maria Iliushkina

See the full cast on our website!

*$59/$79 offer valid on select Orchestra seats for Paquita on Oct. 8 & 9 at 7:30 p.m. Offer subject to availability. Not valid in combination with any other offer. Not valid on previously purchased tickets. Offer may be withdrawn at any time without notice. Service fees may apply.

Performance Timing: Act I - 45 min.; Intermeission - 20 min.; Act II - 35 min.; Intermission - 20 min.; Act III - 50 min.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paquita’s Friends: Maria Iliushkina Vlada Borodulina, Anastasia Nuikina, Daria Ionova

1. by Anna Pavlova in the ballet King Candaules: Maria Iliushkina

*Mention offer number "369840" by phone or at the Box Office.

Call us at (202) 467-4600 | Toll-free (800) 444-1324 | Groups (202) 416-8400

For all other ticket-related customer service inquiries, call the Advance Sales Box Office at (202) 416-8540

*$59/$79 offer valid on select Orchestra seats for Paquita on Oct. 8 & 9 at 7:30 p.m. Offer subject to availability. Not valid in combination with any other offer. Not valid on previously purchased tickets. Offer may be withdrawn at any time without notice. Service fees may apply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paquita’s Friends: Maria Iliushkina Vlada Borodulina, Anastasia Nuikina, Daria Ionova

1. by Anna Pavlova in the ballet King Candaules: Maria Iliushkina

Images

Explore More

Watch and Listen

Mariinsky Ballet: Paquita | The Kennedy Center

Tickets

Group of 20 or more? Group Sales offers special terms and discounts for most performances.

CURRENTLY FILTERED FOR: 

The discount gods have come through. This one is for $45 on Tues. Wed. and Thur.

The Kennedy Center is offering tickets at the special price of $45.00 for select orchestra seats for the performances of Mariinsky Ballet on Tuesday, Oct. 8, Wednesday, Oct. 9 and Thursday, Oct. 10 at 7:30 pm. Tickets are regularly priced up to $99.00.

You can click the link below and your discount will appear automatically. If you call or stop by the Box Office for the discount, be sure to mention Offer Number "369356." 

Mariinsky Ballet-Paquita

TO RECEIVE YOUR DISCOUNT BY PHONE OR IN PERSON AT THE BOX OFFICE, MENTION OFFER NUMBER “369356”

(202) 467-4600 | Toll-free (800) 444-1324 TTY (202) 416-8524

9 hours ago, lmspear said:

The discount gods have come through. This one is for $45 on Tues. Wed. and Thur.

The Kennedy Center is offering tickets at the special price of $45.00 for select orchestra seats for the performances of Mariinsky Ballet on Tuesday, Oct. 8, Wednesday, Oct. 9 and Thursday, Oct. 10 at 7:30 pm. Tickets are regularly priced up to $99.00.

Alas, the Kennedy Center has forsaken me - I haven't received discount offers like this for several years. This is unfortunate, because Paquita did not impress when watched from the nosebleed seats. I think that Xiaoyi was right on. The production is quite long (and unfortunately was extended by unusually long intermissions), yet very little time was spent on the plot. I didn't ever see sparks flying between Paquita and Andres; they really didn't spend a lot of time together. I might have enjoyed the wedding Grand Pas, which didn't start until after 10:00, more if I wasn't worried about how late I would be getting home on a work night. Perhaps watching it from a little closer, where it would have been easier to figure out who was who, might have left me with a better impression.

Edited by YouOverThere
9 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

Alas, the Kennedy Center has forsaken me - I haven't received discount offers like this for several years. This is unfortunate, because Paquita did not impress when watched from the nosebleed seats. I think that Xiaoyi was right on. The production is quite long (and unfortunately was extended by unusually long intermissions), yet very little time was spent on the plot. I didn't ever see sparks flying between Paquita and Andres; they really didn't spend a lot of time together. I might have enjoyed the wedding Grand Pas, which didn't start until after 10:00, more if I wasn't worried about how late I would be getting home on a work night. Perhaps watching it from a little closer, where it would have been easier to figure out who was who, might have left me with a better impression.

I completely agree, YouOverThere. Aside from the very last scene containing the Grand Pas, this was the biggest load of boring crock I've seen performed by this company. The first two acts are loaded with characters, all in crowded settings, amidst overly-busy designs. Like you, I sat in 2nd Tier -- in my usual great seat in RowA center -- where I normally have no trouble discerning characters. Not so this time. Snores were heard. In Act 2, the biggest applause and reaction was for the horse (two guys in a funny suit).

Other than the famous Petipa Pas de Trois (here, danced by main characters Paquita, Cristina and Andres in A2), I wouldn't want to again sit through anything in Acts 1 & 2 or the small jail cell scene that opens Act 3.

Best of the lot: 

Tereshkina's gloriously strong dancing as Paquita

Askerov's winning smile, if not perfect dancing...and I loved his "new" Grand Pas solo, to music never before used (that I have heard) in any prior version, not even in Burlaka's Bolshoi staging of the G-P in 2008

And...Drumroll!...the Best of the Best:  The Vaganova Academy kids, flown in to DC just to perform a PERFECT Polonaise/Mazurka in the Grand Pas.  Too bad that they marched onto the scene at about 10:00 PM, when the audience that remained was half asleep. This perked us up.

p.s. I have tix for Sat night, to see the Batoeva/Parish-led cast. If it weren't out of respect for the leading dancers -- and the kids -- I would not attend. I'll just remember to pack a pillow for Acts 1 & 2.

Edited by Roberta
8 hours ago, Roberta said:

The first two acts are loaded with characters, all in crowded settings, amidst overly-busy designs

Other than the famous Petipa Pas de Trois (here, danced by main characters Paquita, Cristina and Andres in A2), I wouldn't want to again sit through anything in Acts 1 & 2 or the small jail cell scene that opens Act 3.

p.s. I have tix for Sat night, to see the Batoeva/Parish-led cast. If it weren't out of respect for the leading dancers -- and the kids -- I would not attend. I'll just remember to pack a pillow for Acts 1 & 2.

I've been wondering if perhaps because the choreographer is also a dancer in the company if he tried too hard to squeeze in as much dancing for as many dancers as he could, with the result that the stage was too cluttered at times.

The jail scene is a good example of what I thought was lacking in the work. We should have had sweaty palms worrying whether the heroes would find a way out or if they were destined for the gallows. I didn't feel at all tense or nervous.

I will probably go again just to see if it seems better when viewed from the orchestra. I didn't think that the show was terrible, just that it wasn't up to the standards I expect from the elite companies.

Edited by YouOverThere