This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2019 Program 5: Lyric Voices

On 3/16/2019 at 6:01 PM, sf_herminator said:

On Tuesday 3/19 there will be a related talk:  Ballet Talk - Your Flesh Shall Be A Great Poem and Bound To Dancer's Cut.  Insight and discussion with dancers Benjamin Freemantle and Lonnie Weeks.  Tickets are still available:  https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/2019-Ballet-Talk-Dancer’s-Cut - I've got mine!!!

I received an email yesterday (and confirmed with someone in Audience Engagement) the talk has been cancelled because of scheduling conflicts.  This is unfortunate as I was really looking forward to this talk, especially since I will miss Exploring Rodeo on Sunday 3/24 (https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/audience-engagement/exploring-ballet).  

5 hours ago, sf_herminator said:

I received an email yesterday (and confirmed with someone in Audience Engagement) the talk has been cancelled because of scheduling conflicts.  This is unfortunate as I was really looking forward to this talk, especially since I will miss Exploring Rodeo on Sunday 3/24 (https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/audience-engagement/exploring-ballet).  

That's a shame. Not an auspicious start. It's hard to imagine that the issue would be with Freemantle or Weeks though. Perhaps one of them had to make a quick trip home for family business...

Casting has been posted for the first two performances of Program 5-Lyric Voices - https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting

Casting is subject to change.

LYRIC VOICES

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 – 7:30 pm

Your Flesh Shall Be a Great Poem
Choreography: Trey McIntyre
Music: Chris Garneau

Benjamin Freemantle
Isabella DeVivo
Sasha De Sola
Jennifer Stahl
Steven Morse
Jaime Garcilla Castilla
Alexandre Cagnat
Esteban Hernandez
Lonnie Weeks 

Bound To
Choreography: Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Keaton Henson
Conductor: Martin West

Dores Andre
Sasha De Sola
Isabella DeVivo
Jennifer Stahl
Yuan Yuan Tan
Jaime Garcilla Castilla
Carlo Di Lanno
Benjamin Freemantle
Angelo Greco
Lonnie Weeks (final solo)

". . .two united in a single soul. . ." (world premiere performance)
Choreography: Yuri Possokhov
Music: Daria Novo, after George Frideric Handel
Countertenor: Aryeh Nussbaum Cohen

Joseph Walsh
Yuan Yuan Tan
Aaron Robison
Sofiane Sylve
Luke Ingham

Thursday, March 28, 2019 – 7:30 pm

Benjamin Freemantle
Isabella DeVivo
Sasha De Sola
Jennifer Stahl
Steven Morse
Jaime Garcilla Castilla
Alexandre Cagnat
Esteban Hernandez
Lonnie Weeks 

Bound To

Dores Andre
Sasha De Sola
Isabella DeVivo
Jennifer Stahl
Yuan Yuan Tan
Jaime Garcilla Castilla
Carlo Di Lanno
Benjamin Freemantle
Angelo Greco

". . .two united in a single soul. . ." 

Joseph Walsh
Yuan Yuan Tan
Aaron Robison
Sofiane Sylve
Luke Ingham

No major cast changes to the first two pieces from last year's Unbound.  Excited for Yuri's new work.

I'm glad that Froustey is getting to rest a bit, but De Sola is still dancing a lot. They're going to have to give her a medal for heroism.  ;)

People will be glad to see Yuan Yuan again. Sofiane dancing in a Possokhov piece - is that unusual?

32 minutes ago, pherank said:

Sofiane dancing in a Possokhov piece - is that unusual?

You may be right - I don't recall Sofiane dancing in any of Yuri's previous works.  Yuan Yuan, Lorena, and Maria were the female dancers he usually went to.  Dores, Jennifer, and Frances are other women who I recall have performed in his works.  Then there were others (Dana Genshaft, Lauren Strongin, Wan Ting Zhao) who appeared in Swimmer.  But I can't think of Sofiane in anything of Yuri's.

2 hours ago, sf_herminator said:

You may be right - I don't recall Sofiane dancing in any of Yuri's previous works.  Yuan Yuan, Lorena, and Maria were the female dancers he usually went to.  Dores, Jennifer, and Frances are other women who I recall have performed in his works.  Then there were others (Dana Genshaft, Lauren Strongin, Wan Ting Zhao) who appeared in Swimmer.  But I can't think of Sofiane in anything of Yuri's.

Weird, huh? Maybe she's too "uppity".  ;)

With Lorena gone and Frances out, there are only so many experienced dancers to pick from, so I guess he was forced to tough it out with Sofiane. And I don't think he chooses to work with Froustey either. It's just kind of interesting.

I look forward to seeing Possokhov’s new piece and excited about Sofiane Sylve.  I also do not recall her ever being cast in his ballets (The Queen of Dryads in Don Q probably doesn’t count). Yuri does like working with Shipulina at the Bolshoi who bears some remote physical similarities to Sylve. I am actually surprised that Sylve and Possokhov never did anything together before. Maybe different worldviews and personalities? 

14 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I look forward to seeing Possokhov’s new piece and excited about Sofiane Sylve.  I also do not recall her ever being cast in his ballets (The Queen of Dryads in Don Q probably doesn’t count). Yuri does like working with Shipulina at the Bolshoi who bears some remote physical similarities to Sylve. I am actually surprised that Sylve and Possokhov never did anything together before. Maybe different worldviews and personalities? 

Yuri seems to be at least as private as Sylve, so it's hard to know what his preferences are. Never working with one of the company's senior dancers - a dancer known for supporting the development of new, contemporary ballets - can't be accidental. But that's all we have to go on. Like many choreographers, Possokhov has his muse and his favorites to create on, but choreographing with the same dancers each time isn't really 'thinking outside the box', it seems to me. On the other side of things, I'm not sure Sylve would find much of Possokhov's choreography for the female dancers interesting. I remember William Forsythe once saying in a video interview, that it was important to create something challenging for Sylve (presumably because otherwise she wouldn't maintain interest). As Sylve puts it, she "doesn't do average". I couldn't see her ever bothering with the "Lolita" role, for example, in Swimmer.

At this stage in her career, Sylve seems to dance mainly roles that either were created on her, or are known virtuosic pieces (such as certain Balanchine roles or Lander's Etudes).

Edited by pherank
2 hours ago, mira said:

Informative preview post of the two world premieres coming next week to SF Ballet.   I'm looking forward to seeing them!  http://www.theclassicalgirl.com/possokhov-and-scarlett-bring-two-world-premieres-to-the-sfb-stage/

Thank you, Mira. And thanks to Terez for the article. Peck's Rodeo actually predates the Unbound Festival (it was originally created for NYCB, and is one of his most popular ballets). Hurry Up, We're Dreaming from Program 2 was Peck's contribution to the Unbound Festival. It's kind of unusual, at SFB, to see more than one ballet by the same choreographer in a season, but Dawson's Anima Animus had to be removed from Program 2 due to injuries/pregnancies/career changes, yada yada.

The NYCB website has a nice video about Rodeo (with lots of footage of the ballet):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipXsCjFAKk0

Edited by pherank

Casting for Saturday 3/30 performances - https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting

Saturday, March 30, 2019 – 2:00 pm

Ethan Chudnow
Jahna Frantziskonis
WanTing Zhao
Elizabeth Mateer
Cavan Conley
Alexandre Cagnat
Mingxuan Wang
David Occhipinti
Sean Bennett

Bound To

Dores Andre
Sasha De Sola
Isabella DeVivo
Jennifer Stahl
WanTing Zhao
Jaime Garcilla Castilla (final solo)
Steven Morse
Benjamin Freemantle
Angelo Greco
Lonnie Weeks

Joseph Walsh
Yuan Yuan Tan
Aaron Robison
Sofiane Sylve
Luke Ingham

*Second cast debut in Your Flesh Shall Be a Great Poem (except for Alexandre Cagnat - unless he is performing the same role).  Looking forward to this - especially seeing who will per form the foot stool pas de deux (Benjamin Freemantle's role).  In Bound To, Jaime Garcia Castilla will debut in the final solo (Lonnie Weeks in the initial performances).  It also looks like Wan Ting Zhao and Steven Morse will be in the roles debuted by Yuan Yuan Tan and Carlo Di Lanno.

Saturday, March 30, 2019 – 8:00 pm

Benjamin Freemantle
Isabella DeVivo
Sasha De Sola
Jennifer Stahl
Steven Morse
Jaime Garcilla Castilla
Alexandre Cagnat
Esteban Hernandez
Lonnie Weeks 

Bound To

Dores Andre
Sasha De Sola
Isabella DeVivo
Jennifer Stahl
Yuan Yuan Tan
Jaime Garcilla Castilla
Carlo Di Lanno
Benjamin Freemantle
Angelo Greco

Joseph Walsh
Yuan Yuan Tan
Aaron Robison
Sofiane Sylve
Luke Ingham

Edited by sf_herminator

Casting for Tuesday 4/2 - https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting

LYRIC VOICES

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 – 7:30 pm

Ethan Chudnow
Jahna Frantziskonis
WanTing Zhao
Elizabeth Mateer
Cavan Conley
Alexandre Cagnat
Mingxuan Wang
David Occhipinti
Sean Bennett

Bound To

Wona Park
Ellen Rose Hummel
Thamires Chuvas
Ludmila Bizalion
WanTing Zhao
Alexandre Cagnat
Steven Morse
Max Cauthorn
Esteban Hernandez
Davide Occhipinti
Jaime Garcia Castilla (final solo)

Esteban Hernandez
Sasha De Sola
Max Cauthorn
Jennifer Stahl
Benjamin Freemantle

*Second cast for Bound To and ...two united in a single soul....

On 3/21/2019 at 7:06 PM, pherank said:

Thank you, Mira. And thanks to Terez for the article. Peck's Rodeo actually predates the Unbound Festival (it was originally created for NYCB, and is one of his most popular ballets). Hurry Up, We're Dreaming from Program 2 was Peck's contribution to the Unbound Festival. It's kind of unusual, at SFB, to see more than one ballet by the same choreographer in a season, but Dawson's Anima Animus had to be removed from Program 2 due to injuries/pregnancies/career changes, yada yada.

Pherank, I know, whoopsie on me! Was horrified when I caught it, over the weekend. I should have come here to the forum, where I would have seen your note earlier. Belated thanks. Reminder to self: this is a great forum for confirming all the correct information. 

Yeah, I'm still regretting the Dawson being pulled. On the positive side, Rodeo looks more classical and less propulsive, so I'm glad I get to see this other side of Peck's choreographic skills.

7 hours ago, Terez said:

Pherank, I know, whoopsie on me! Was horrified when I caught it, over the weekend. I should have come here to the forum, where I would have seen your note earlier. Belated thanks. Reminder to self: this is a great forum for confirming all the correct information. 

Yeah, I'm still regretting the Dawson being pulled. On the positive side, Rodeo looks more classical and less propulsive, so I'm glad I get to see this other side of Peck's choreographic skills.

Not a problem, Terez. The number of people who care about those little details is, admittedly, very small.  😉

We look forward to hearing what you think of the performance(s).

More casting. I'll be seeing Sun 2pm performance - can't wait!

Friday, April 5, 2019 – 8:00 pm

Benjamin Freemantle
Isabella DeVivo
Sasha De Sola
Jennifer Stahl
Steven Morse
Jaime Garcilla Castilla
Alexandre Cagnat
Esteban Hernandez
Lonnie Weeks 

Bound To

Dores Andre
Sasha De Sola
Isabella Devivo
Jennifer Stahl
Yuan Yuan Tan
Jaime Garcia Castilla
Carlo Di Lanno
Benjamin Freemantle
Angelo Greco

Conductor: Ming Luke
Countertenor: Matheus Coura

Joseph Walsh
Yuan Yuan Tan
Aaron Robison
Sofiane Sylve
Luke Ingham

Sunday, April 7, 2019 – 2:00 pm

Ethan Chudnow
Jahna Frantziskonis
Sasha De Sola
Elizabeth Mateer
Cavan Conley
Alexandre Cagnat
Mingxuan Wang
Davide Occhipinti
Sean Bennett

Bound To

Wona Park
Ellen Rose Hummel
Thamires Chuvas
Ludmila Bizalion
WanTing Zhao
Alexandre Cagnat
Steven Morse
Max Cauthorn
Esteban Hernandez
Davide Occhipinti
Jaime Garcia Castilla (final solo)

Countertenor: Matheus Coura

Esteban Hernandez
Sasha De Sola
Max Cauthorn
WanTing Zhao
Vladislav Kozlov

Hah, I saw Kozlov only once this season, in the corps in Sleeping Beauty.  I was impressed by him at Stern Grove over the summer.  Was he out injured?

I saw the program last night.  Overall, very satisfying.  Lots of good male dancing, including impressive solo dancing from Ben Freemantle, Jaime Garcilla Castilla, and Esteban Hernandez.

I loved Your Flesh Shall Be A Great Poem (it was my second viewing, after Unbound from last year)... the best "pas de deux" of the entire evening was probably Freemantle and the stool he dances with.

"... two united in a single soul..." was fine.  Interesting concept but seemed a little gimmicky.  I got tired of the partnering and the team-USA-gymnastics-looking costumes after a while.

3 hours ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Hah, I saw Kozlov only once this season, in the corps in Sleeping Beauty.  I was impressed by him at Stern Grove over the summer.  Was he out injured?

Yes, he was out with injury.

"I got tired of the partnering and the team-USA-gymnastics-looking costumes after a while."

Sadly, I can't remember the last time I really liked a mixed rep contemporary ballet's costume designs. Some of them don't bother me as much as others, but that's all I can say about it.
I'd like to hear what other people do like in contemporary costumes (but that probably belongs in another thread)...

Edited by pherank