This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jennifer Homans Succeeds Joan Acocella as Dance Critic of The New Yorker

Macaulay did say he would be replaced and my guess is the replacement will have the title of chief dance critic and a salary. Things have gone downhill for arts reviewing at the NYT, but not so much, I trust, that they would actually descend to the depths of using stringers only for dance pieces.

My lord, how much longer was he going to bang on about same-sex partnering.

Indeed. Never did a bee buzz more insistently in someone's bonnet.

On 3/18/2019 at 5:56 AM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Also, just a reminder that Macaulay was for a time (the late 80s) the guest dance critic at The New Yorker. 

That was when Croce took a leave to work on her Balanchine book -- way back then...

I'm just about finishing Apollo's Angels and have some opinions about Homans' epilogue... would this be an appropriate thread to air my grievances or should I start a new thread specific to AA?

2 minutes ago, leee said:

I'm just about finishing Apollo's Angels and have some opinions about Homans' epilogue... would this be an appropriate thread to air my grievances or should I start a new thread specific to AA?

We've hashed out this book here before, but I think it's better to keep current discussions current -- have at it!