This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2019

Watching Act II of Midsummer this season will not be the same without Tiler Peck.  This is one of her signature roles, and in my opinion others in the company who are cast don't approach her level in this pas.  In fact, despite the very high level of talent overall in the company, she was very much missed in many roles this season.

43 minutes ago, abatt said:

Watching Act II of Midsummer this season will not be the same without Tiler Peck.  This is one of her signature roles, and in my opinion others in the company who are cast don't approach her level in this pas.  In fact, despite the very high level of talent overall in the company, she was very much missed in many roles this season.

I would have given anything to see her in T&V again! I have my fingers crossed she'll be back soon; based on her Instagram, she's been quite active off-stage, so hopefully it's just a matter of rest. 

On 5/24/2019 at 5:37 PM, bellawood said:

I’ve lurked on this board for a long time, but the Ashley Bouder squeak-gate discussion made me register! It’s been driving me crazy since September. For the record, she did not have squeaky shoes Thursday in the first movement of Brahms Schoenberg with Russell—and it was also a much more successful performance than the one last Wednesday. Russell in particular looked more relaxed— his shoulders can get very high. 

Glad you spoke up!

Just got back from Midsummer—it was terrific. The first act was as fresh and as funny as I’ve ever seen it. Taylor Stanley was perfect as Puck and Aaron Sanz has wonderful comic timing — the whole quartet was great. The dancing was so sharp from everyone, and special mention to Daniel Ulbricht for dealing with a hair malfunction mid insane variation, but Sara is incredibly on top of her game right now. I feel like her extension has never been so big or her control so strong—but still with her incredible abandon. The Bottom and Titania pas de deux was so well done my husband had tears of laughter streaming down his face. Second act was lovely if quieter. I certainly agree about missing Tiler, in this ballet and others, but it’s also been a great opportunity to see new faces in “Tiler” roles — thinking of Lauren Lovette as pink girl and Indiana Woodward in several others over the season.  

I second that. Huxley, Mearns, Hyltin, Ball all shone. Peter Walker was a touching and funny Bottom. And great to see Pazcoguin in her element as Hippolyta. I love this ballet. I brought family members who have never seen it before and they were enchanted. I’m going again tomorrow to see alternate casting but tonight will be hard to beat. 

12 hours ago, Peg said:

I second that. Huxley, Mearns, Hyltin, Ball all shone. Peter Walker was a touching and funny Bottom. And great to see Pazcoguin in her element as Hippolyta. I love this ballet. I brought family members who have never seen it before and they were enchanted. I’m going again tomorrow to see alternate casting but tonight will be hard to beat. 

12 hours ago, canbelto said:

Gonzalo Garcia was replaced by Anthony Huxley in tonight's Dream. Performance was all around magnificent.

I third that! I thought that overall the cast was truly a "dream". Mearns was breathtaking and dancing with complete abandon and beauty. Harrison Ball as puck gave a whimsical impression of the role that I was intrigued with throughout. Huxley made Oberon look like a breeze and I liked to see him using more acting skills, especially in the opening miming with Mearns. I must admit that Pereira, King, Nelson, and Applebaum were not my absolute favorite, but it is almost impossible to not enjoy the comedic lovers quarreling. Hyltin and Ramasar were a pure delight to watch in the second act Divertissement. Hyltin is my personal favorite in this role and with Ramasar's stellar partnering she looked as though she was dancing on a cloud from beginning to end.

It's odd that they are having Huxley do three consecutive performances of Oberon. 

I was surprised to see Garcia cast as Oberon this season.  Given his age and history of injuries, I doubt we will be seeing him as Oberon next season.   Veyette smartly decided to retire this role (or he was told by management that he was retired from the role).

So where is Miss Tiler this season? I have seen countless photos of her and her pretty model boyfriend (?) doing numerous Valentino events/parties (on her public IG) but is she injured?? As much as I love her dancing I find her to have a sort of boring “she’s so perfect we know she’s going to nail it” where as Sara Mearns goes out there and gives it her whole heart and soul in a much different way than Tiler and I am growing to love this sense of abandon so much. Sara is growing so much and I’m just in awe of what’s coming from her. 

Last week I went to see Whipped Cream, which made me appreciate City Ballet so much more - in more ways than I can count. 

18 minutes ago, jessa_sissonne said:

So where is Miss Tiler this season? I have seen countless photos of her and her pretty model boyfriend (?) doing numerous Valentino events/parties (on her public IG) but is she injured?? As much as I love her dancing I find her to have a sort of boring “she’s so perfect we know she’s going to nail it” where as Sara Mearns goes out there and gives it her whole heart and soul in a much different way than Tiler and I am growing to love this sense of abandon so much. Sara is growing so much and I’m just in awe of what’s coming from her. 

Last week I went to see Whipped Cream, which made me appreciate City Ballet so much more - in more ways than I can count. 

Tiler Peck announced at the beginning of the season on IG that she was injured.

Quick comment about last night. Anthony Huxley was beyond beautiful - all aglow in his golden tunic, barely touching the floor, skimming along like quicksilver, and impeccably timed to the music. Between him and Teresa Reichlen, it was almost too much beauty. 

Another beautiful performance tonight, with the same casting I saw last night. (Bought the tickets before I knew the casting.) I was transfixed during the scherzo. Huxley is incredible in his crystalline technique, ease in those devilish variations, and perfect attunement to the rhythms of the music. Teresa Reichlen is a beautiful Titania, warm and lyrical. And Roman Mejia is everything you thought he would be as Puck. Emily Kikta as Hippolyta danced so large she looked like she could devour the entire stage. She is finishing up a season of incredibly exciting dancing. Andrew Veyette and Lauren Lovette did the second act divertissement. Veyette's solo dancing is considerably diminished but he is a great partner. I found Lovette exceptionally beautiful, fluid, delicate, and vulnerable. It was really magical. For the all-new casting of the four mortal lovers, I thought they were all good. I especially liked Unity Phelan, a subtle actress, and Andrew Scordato, who really took to heart the comic silliness of the role, with the ridiculous pageboy wig and a goofy "in love" smile.  I have a ticket for tomorrow evening but I almost don't want to go, because I don't want the memory of these two performances disrupted! 

Edited by cobweb
43 minutes ago, Leah said:

I was there on Thursday night and agree with everything you've said. I also want to briefly mention Silas Farley, although his role is mostly a partnering one he was really fantastic. He has such presence and seems to radiate this bright energy around him whenever he's on stage. Hopefully he and Kitka get promoted soon- Mejia's a no-brainer of course.

Thanks, Leah, I agree. I had the same thought about Farley - he has such a great presence. It's too easy to second-guess promotions, but I found myself thinking he should have been promoted instead of Peter Walker (both very tall guys), as Farley has so much more personality onstage. 

ETA: Wait, it wasn't completely the same casting both nights. Thursday night divertissement was Bouder and Danchig-Waring, Friday was Lovette and Veyette.

Edited by cobweb
ETA added
On 5/30/2019 at 12:15 PM, abatt said:

It's odd that they are having Huxley do three consecutive performances of Oberon. 

I was surprised to see Garcia cast as Oberon this season.  Given his age and history of injuries, I doubt we will be seeing him as Oberon next season.   

Garcia is still on the website as dancing Oberon on Sunday. Maybe he feels he can do it since it's the closing performance of the season. Or maybe Huxley will replace him on Sunday, too.

NYCB often has to improvise casting due to injuries. I'm going tomorrow. Can't wait.

23 hours ago, jessa_sissonne said:

I"m with you on that. Lately I've found that I'm just not that interested in ABT and watching ABT spurs me to go to NYCB more often.

4 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Garcia is still on the website as dancing Oberon on Sunday. Maybe he feels he can do it since it's the closing performance of the season. Or maybe Huxley will replace him on Sunday, too.

I don't wish Garcia any ill, but I really hope Huxley dances tomorrow. But, especially if Garcia may be saying farewell to this role, perhaps they are waiting till the last second to see if he can go on. I hope this is the last season that NYCB casts him in virtuoso roles for which he's no longer suited. They seem to have at least faced the music with Veyette's current state, so that gives me hope.

10 hours ago, Leah said:

How would you compare the two divertissement casts? I thought Bouder was lovely, there were a couple of squeaks but her shoes are much improved. She was very graceful, and more subdued than her usual self- I mean that as a compliment.

Bouder was indeed subdued, and lovely in many respects but I find her lacking in depth. I liked Lovette much better. 

If Garcia doesn’t go on tomorrow, I’m hoping Joseph Gordon replaces him. (I can’t see his debut this afternoon because I’m going to the SAB workshop performance). If anyone hears news about tomorrow, please post!

8 minutes ago, abatt said:

Taylor Stanley was replaced this afternoon by Harrison Ball in the role of Puck.  

6 hours ago, cobweb said:

If Garcia doesn’t go on tomorrow, I’m hoping Joseph Gordon replaces him. (I can’t see his debut this afternoon because I’m going to the SAB workshop performance). If anyone hears news about tomorrow, please post!

I was there this afternoon. For those who haven't seen Midsummer  you really must go. Balanchine, Shakespeare, Mendelssohn... honestly that should be enough, but I'll add great choreography, laugh out loud moments, pretty sets and costumes, and charming children dancing the fairies. You really can't go wrong.

Joseph Gordon was lovely as Oberon, jumps like velvet with soft landings (as you've no doubt seen). I was disappointed not to see Taylor Stanley and I hope he's healthy. Harrison Ball was fabulous as Puck. He really carried the acting, the bird-like impulsive quality of the character, and the humor. His dancing was so strong and clear; he also has impressive jumps with soft landings. I liked the four lovers more than I expected, Brittany Pollack, Peter Walker, Aaron Sanz and Ashley Laracey. All of their dancing was  full and emphatic. I also thought Megan LeCrone made a terrific Hippolyta, commanding in the jumping, hunting section, and then surprisingly gentle, sweet and womanly in the mime sections. It's a contrast that I hadn't noticed in that role before.

Miriam Milller danced Titania with Silas Farley as her Cavalier. She jumped right up into his arms and landed knees to his chest. They're of a similar height so it was a spectacular moment, though I do hope she'll continue to grow in the role. She's exceptionally pretty, stunning legs, and technique. Mostly I liked watching the two of them together. I hope they dance together more.

The SAB workshop looks good. I'll be there tonight.

Thank you, thank you, BalanchineFan, for your enthusiastic report on today’s matinee. I will be there tomorrow for the last performance of the season. Can’t wait. I haven’t seen NYCB’s Midsummer Night’s Dream ballet in 7 years (!) and especially look forward to seeing Sara Mearns as Titania. I saw her a few weeks ago in Slaughter....She always rocks. A fitting end to the season. It will be fun to see all the little girls in the audience, after the children’s program earlier in the afternoon. I like their joy and laughter. 

I was at today's matinee too and it was excellent, basically flawless. I wasn't sure what to expect from Miriam Miller but I thought her dancing was beautiful (especially her extensions) and comic acting was strong. Gordon was everything you would want him to be. Ball, as Puck, revealed once again what a wonderful performer he is on top of his technical virtuosity. Fairchild and T. Angle were stunning in the divertissement -- I got teary eyed! Also loved Woodward as the main butterfly and LeCrone as Hippolyta. 

This is such a beautiful production overall, NYCB at its finest. I've been enjoying ABT as well but their productions just don't carry the same emotional weight for me. 

I too was at the matinee today — an impulse purchase because I wanted to see Joe Gordon's debut as Oberon (as impulse purchases go, it was more expensive than a pack of gum at Duane Reade). It’s incredible that he was just made principal in October — he has already grown so much. He performed those variations as easily as you please, with speed, precision, amplitude and elegance — but I think that’s part of the challenge for Jon and Wendy. Is Oberon an obvious role for him? Or the second pas de deux in Stravinsky Violin Concerto?  He’s incredible in Robbins ballets, so I am not suggesting that he is only white tight — though I assume we will see him as Siegfried sooner rather than later. How do you develop a talent of this caliber? It’s a good problem to have.

Taylor Stanley was so good Tuesday as Puck that I was looking forward to seeing him again— however I was just as happy to see Harrison Ball. They both brought themselves to the role. The biggest difference for me was that Taylor’s grand jetés were more beautiful. Harrison was very compelling today and all season, particularly in Stars and Stripes.

Overall, this week's production was crisper, bigger, and more funny than it has been in recent memory. The corps looked great, particularly in act II. Today Megan and Tyler were sublime, even better then earlier in the week. It was a lovely coda to a terrific Spring season, and it makes me sad I have to wait until September to see the company again! 

I was at the Wednesday and Friday night performances. I really loved Sara Mearns' Titania, Anthony Huxley's Oberon, and Harrison Ball's Puck -- they are performances I've seen before but didn't remember them having as much depth. I also loved Sterling Hyltin in the second act divertissement. Lauren Lovette on Friday -- she's a beautiful dancer, but for me her technique is always shaky, and I can never really enjoy her performances fully. Roman Mejia was wonderful as Puck.

https://humbledandoverwhelmed.blogspot.com/2019/06/spring-diaries-abts-seasons-sab.html

Another beautiful performance this evening. I didn't love Ulbricht and Miller as much as Huxley and Reichlen, but the overall show is just wonderful. Taylor Stanley was replaced by Roman Mejia, making this the third time I've seen Mejia's Puck this week. He's great, and exactly what you picture when you think "Puck." But I was disappointed not to see Taylor Stanley, who I imagine makes an intriguing, more mysterious Puck. Sterling Hyltin and Amar Ramasar did the second act divertissement, and they were sublime, making this my favorite overall pair of the three performances I've seen. (The others were Bouder and Danchig-Waring, where I loved him; and Veyette and Lovette, where I loved her.) I found Ulbricht surprisingly stiff and heavy. Despite that, he carried off the devilish scherzo variations well. I found Miller much improved as Titania, and just really, really beautiful. But I still find her presence a little lightweight. 

I don't have a ticket for the final performance, but tempted. Intrigued by reports on Harrison Ball's Puck, and I'd like to see Mearns' Titania. I mean, I've seen it before, but she's so incredible this season, I'd like to see it again now. Finally, there's the off chance that Huxley or Gordon will be announced to replace Garcia... if anyone has any private intelligence on this urgent Oberon casting matter, please PM me!

2 hours ago, Leah said:

So is it time to call no promotions this season? I really thought Woodward and Mejia would get it this time around.

Since there were a bunch of promotions (7) this past October, maybe they will wait? I don't think NYCB always announces promotions at the end of the spring season.