This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2019

1 hour ago, CTballetfan said:

Does anyone know if Megan Fairchild will return this spring? 

She recently posted on Instagram that she'll be returning to the stage on tour in DC, so since that precedes the Spring season I'd assume so.

Thank you, ABT fan, this is good news. Sounds like she has had to work hard and overcome obstacles to get back in shape. I remember it took Maria Kowroski awhile to return to top form after pregnancy, and she has been doing star turns lately. 

I am excited for the spring season and have just purchased a ticket to yet another performance to add to my spring series. I hope the new artistic team will continue to emphasize the Balanchine classics and the great Robbins ballets going forward. I love them and, to be mercenary, they sell the most seats, which enables the company to offer new choreography, some of which takes time to build a following and other new pieces which strike out. 

On 3/4/2019 at 11:31 AM, CTballetfan said:

Thank you, ABT fan, this is good news. Sounds like she has had to work hard and overcome obstacles to get back in shape. I remember it took Maria Kowroski awhile to return to top form after pregnancy, and she has been doing star turns lately. 

I am excited for the spring season and have just purchased a ticket to yet another performance to add to my spring series. I hope the new artistic team will continue to emphasize the Balanchine classics and the great Robbins ballets going forward. I love them and, to be mercenary, they sell the most seats, which enables the company to offer new choreography, some of which takes time to build a following and other new pieces which strike out. 

It looks like NYCB heard your request! :) - 31 out of 39 performance days will include Balanchine! https://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/0054-FY19-Marketing-SpringCalendarRefresh-v03.pdf

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Was Diamonds one of the ballets that was swapped into the upcoming season last spring, sometime after the schedule for this year initially came out? I remember some of us noting a few switches on here back then.

Yes. It replaced Brandenburg.

37 minutes ago, Leah said:

I see that Western Symphony only has 3 couples listed. I know that NYC ballet doesn’t usually include the third movement. The only full performance I’ve seen of the piece is the MCB version on YouTube which does the complete version.

How does NYCB treat the finale when the four couples come out? Is the choreography modified for just the three couples or does some random couple come out of nowhere at the end?

Does anyone know why the scherzo was dropped?

I believe it was during the City Center days when a very popular program of Swan Lake/Firebird/Faun/Western was deemed too long by Morton Baum. What's called a "Run on" principal couple and 4 corps girls are added to the finale so the patterns remain the same. 

News sources from a private Instagram account has been removed.

Board policy is that all official news must be public-facing, even if it requires a paid subscription, with a reference.  If you're let into a private account, make sure you sign out and try to access it publicly with success before posting the news and link here.

All online sources need a link.  If you're unsure of how to capture a URL from your browser, please do not post the news.

It's up to the subject whether to block people from their social media if they feel that their private info is being shared publicly by people they've "friended" or the platform-specific equivalent of being let in.  So there is greater incentive to follow the wishes of the person who is giving you the privilege of sharing their news with you.

the following from NYCB's press dept:

<<due to injury, Tiler Peck and Abi Stafford will be both be replaced in their performances this week. (We’re not sure beyond this week.)  Tonight, in Pictures at an Exhibition, Lauren King will make her debut (originally scheduled for Thursday, and replacing Stafford) and Indiana Woodward will replace Tiler Peck. In Oltremare, Brittany Pollack will debut, replacing Tiler Peck.>>

regarding the Scherzo of WESTERN SYMPHONY, Balanchine himself dropped the movement in 1960 until this death.

for the American Music Festival in 1988 it was reinstated, for Kyra NIchols if mem. serves, but it didn't remain reinstated for long.

there doesn't appear to be any official statement as to why Balanchine dropped the movement, he wasn't one to much explain his decisions.