Jump to content
Terez

Casting for The Sleeping Beauty

Recommended Posts

The Sleeping Beauty

Saturday, March 9, 2019 – 8:00 pm

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography: Helgi Tomasson after Marius Petipa
Conductor: Martin West

Aurora: Sasha De Sola
Prince Desiré: Carlo Di Lanno
Lilac Fairy: Jennifer Stahl
Bluebird: Lonnie Weeks
Enchanted Princess: Koto Ishihara

 

Sunday, March 10, 2019 – 2:00 pm

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography: Helgi Tomasson after Marius Petipa
Conductor: Ming Luke

Aurora: Mathilde Froustey
Prince Desiré: Vitor Luiz
Lilac Fairy: WanTing Zhao
Bluebird: Nicolai Gorodiskii
Enchanted Princess: Jasmine Jimison

 

I'm looking forward to this, particularly the Sun matinee cast!

Share this post


Link to post

I’m going Sunday and Saturday 3/16; very happy to see Froustey, a truly delightful Aurora, and Luiz, who’s always good.  Don’t know anything about Gorodiskii (link to his bio; looks like he’s danced all over the place), but I saw apprentice Jimison as Amor during the Don Q run and she was very good, so this should be an interesting pas de deux.  

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PeggyR said:

I’m going Sunday and Saturday 3/16; very happy to see Froustey, a truly delightful Aurora, and Luiz, who’s always good.  Don’t know anything about Gorodiskii (link to his bio; looks like he’s danced all over the place), but I saw apprentice Jimison as Amor during the Don Q run and she was very good, so this should be an interesting pas de deux.  

Enjoy! I think we're all wondering about Gorodiskii and Ladislav Kozlov, both. Neither has appeared much. I think I saw Kozlov leaving the theater with one of the other young dancers after Program 2 or 3 - he was watching the company, but not participating. I expect Kozlov will make a soloist appearance in Sleeping Beauty. Natasha Sheehan has mentioned that she has been rehearsing for Sleeping Beauty, but she hasn't let on what roles. I wouldn't be surprised if she again dances Aurora at the student matinee.

Share this post


Link to post

Happy to see Carlo Di Lanno will be back on stage in full action. I am going on March 15. I saw all casts last season, and Froustey gave a fully-realized performance and was beautiful in all three acts. 

Share this post


Link to post

Oops - looks like Mathilde will dance the student matinee too (assuming there's only one):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bue6qdulH2m/

lapetitefrench_
I’ll dance Aurora in the Sleeping Beauty on Sunday 10th of March at 2pm and on Friday 15th of March at 8pm. I’m lucky to get to dance with two great partners: @ivitorluiz on the 10th and @luke_ingham on the 15th !
I’ll also dance for the “students matinee” on the 13th at 11am.

Share this post


Link to post

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of casting posted.  Looking back at last year's casting (link to last year's thread - https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/43326-sfb-2018-sleeping-beauty/?tab=comments#comment-393197), note the following:

  • Two of last year's Aurora's will not be seen this year (Maria Kochetkova - left the company at end of 2018 season, Frances Chung - pregnant).  Fingers crossed Ana Sophia Scheller will grace the stage again as she was MIA for Don Q.  Are there any other Aurora's waiting in the wings?  
  • Joseph Walsh, who was scheduled to dance with Maria last year, will hopefully be able to dance Prince Desire this year (as he stated in the Meet the Artist interview during Don Q - https://sfballet.blog/2019/02/01/joseph-walsh-don-quixote/).  If he does, who will be his Aurora?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, pherank said:

Oops - looks like Mathilde will dance the student matinee too (assuming there's only one):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bue6qdulH2m/

lapetitefrench_
I’ll dance Aurora in the Sleeping Beauty on Sunday 10th of March at 2pm and on Friday 15th of March at 8pm. I’m lucky to get to dance with two great partners: @ivitorluiz on the 10th and @luke_ingham on the 15th !
I’ll also dance for the “students matinee” on the 13th at 11am.

Yes, only one student matinee of The Sleeping Beauty - https://www.sfballet.org/community/school-programs-resources/student-matinees.  Last year, Natasha Sheehan and Wei Wang danced in the student matinee of The Sleeping Beauty.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, pherank said:

I think we're all wondering about Gorodiskii and Ladislav Kozlov, both. Neither has appeared much. I think I saw Kozlov leaving the theater with one of the other young dancers after Program 2 or 3 - he was watching the company, but not participating. I expect Kozlov will make a soloist appearance in Sleeping Beauty.

Nicolai Gorodiskii danced the Russian and Spanish in Nutcracker and Gypsy Leader in Don Q. Kozlov is recovering from injury, so, sadly, it’s unclear how soon we will see him perform. 

It would so exciting if new dancers debut as Aurora this year. I doubt the company could complete the run will only three existing Auroras. I am keen on seeing Sasha De Sola, hopefully Ana Sophia Scheller and whoever the new face might be.

Edited by Dreamer

Share this post


Link to post

I would have thought that there would be a number of debuts this year. Seniority-wise, Andre and Stahl should be given a chance. But Froustey and De Sola may both be dancing three performances each. (Too much in my opinion - I don't know how Sasha is feeling at this point, but Froustey shouldn't be made to dance continuously). So that leaves three other opportunities?

Toi toi toi.

Share this post


Link to post

Walsh often gets assigned in debuts. Could he appear again with Wona Park? I can see him with Sasha too.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I believe Wona Park posted a short video of her dancing in a tutu with a fishdive, saying "ready for Beauty." Unless Bluebird also does fishdives (can't remember), sounds like she's dancing Aurora as well.

Edited by Emma

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Emma said:

I believe Wona Park posted on instagram that she's dancing Aurora.

Did she say that it was the Aurora role, or was that obvious somehow? I can see WanTing Zhao as Aurora.
I wonder if Lizzy Powell has all the necessary techniques down for this part? She might be able to pull it off.

Thinking about Kozlov being injured…it's apparently common for injuries to occur to dancers who are going though big changes (such as a move to another part of the world, dancing a new repertory). Stressful times. Sofiane Sylve talked about this very thing in her Q&A at Ballet West (at 6:00 - audio levels are low so you have to turn it way up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bexEmbPoDw4

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Emma said:

I believe Wona Park posted a short video of her dancing in a tutu with a fishdive, saying "ready for Beauty." Unless Bluebird also does fishdives (can't remember), sounds like she's dancing Aurora as well.

Found the clip - looks like she's rehearsing with Angelo Greco

 

Share this post


Link to post

Whoops! This is what I get for posting too quickly—sorry for the confusion Pherank. My edit is more accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Emma said:

Whoops! This is what I get for posting too quickly—sorry for the confusion Pherank. My edit is more accurate.

No problem. Park with Greco would be a good pairing. Tomasson is really moving the partners around these days. Most dancers have their favorite partners, but Helgi seems to be discouraging reliance on any particular person.

Share this post


Link to post

A soloist dancing two full-length ballets in her second year with the company! What a remarkable dancer Park is! 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Josette said:

A soloist dancing two full-length ballets in her second year with the company! What a remarkable dancer Park is! 

In the comments of her IG post she says she is dancing on the 12th (Tuesday) and 16th (Saturday) matinee!!

Share this post


Link to post

I was hoping that Natasha Sheehan would get a crack at Aurora. A few years ago, Helgi seemed to be over the moon with her. I know she was injured around Nutcracker, but surprised how little we've seen from her over the past year or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, PeggyTulle said:

I was hoping that Natasha Sheehan would get a crack at Aurora. A few years ago, Helgi seemed to be over the moon with her. I know she was injured around Nutcracker, but surprised how little we've seen from her over the past year or so.

Reading between the lines, SFB seems to be saying that there aren't resources (or the hours) to prepare a number of debuts in Sleeping Beauty, so 3 people will be working really hard, but that leaves one opportunity.

Natasha's injury  came at an inopportune time, but they usually do. I've expected to see more opportunities for Frantziskonis too. I'm surprised that Froustey is being given the student matinee over Sheehan, but the numbers say that there may be at least one debut in SB…

EDIT: here's Wona Park talking about the Enchanted Princess role -
https://www.facebook.com/sfballet/videos/vb.27923251292/327676941195543/?type=2&theater
This may be part of an Artist Spotlight video that's in the works.

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, pherank said:

Reading between the lines, SFB seems to be saying that there aren't resources (or the hours) to prepare a number of debuts in Sleeping Beauty, so 3 people will be working really hard, but that leaves one opportunity.

Wona posted in the IG comments that she is dancing Aurora March 12 and March 16 matinee... 

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Wona posted in the IG comments that she is dancing Aurora March 12 and March 16 matinee... 

It came back to me that the reason for this schedule is the probable complete absence of Scheller, and Chung - I've no doubt Scheller wants to dance Aurora again, but she may not be healthy enough to do it. So everyone else is doing double/triple shows.

Share this post


Link to post

Also, Sasha posted she is dancing March 9,March 14 (eve), and March 17 mat. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/1/2019 at 5:08 PM, pherank said:

I can see WanTing Zhao as Aurora.
I wonder if Lizzy Powell has all the necessary techniques down for this part? She might be able to pull it off.

WanTing would be lovely, as would Isabella DeVivo and Julia Rowe. 

Share this post


Link to post

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 – 7:30 pm

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography: Helgi Tomasson after Marius Petipa
Conductor: Martin West

Aurora: Yasmine Naghdi
Prince Desiré: Joseph Walsh
Lilac Fairy: Koto Ishihara
Bluebird: Cavan Conley
Enchanted Princess: Julia Rowe

 Principal ballerina Yasmine Naghdi, The Royal Ballet, London, is guesting with San Francisco Ballet.

Share this post


Link to post

That's exciting news - I've seen Yasmine Naghdi perform at the Royal Opera House and she's lovely.

Looks like Wei Wang is performing with the Royal Ballet as a guest in Frankenstein: http://www.roh.org.uk/people/wei-wang

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...