California

2019-20 season: Pennsylvania Ballet

Pennsylvania Ballet just announced their 2019-20 season: http://paballet.org/2019-2020-season/

Don Quixote

October 10 – 20

One of the most popular ballets of all time, Don Quixote has it all – romance, comedy, and, of course, the artistry of our dancers. Angel Corella’s restaging of the love story of Kitri and Basilio brings his unique Spanish flair to this lively classic. Whether you’re experiencing it for the first time or falling in love all over again, Don Quixote is sure to delight.

New Works

November 7 – 10

Be the first to see three new ballets created for Pennsylvania Ballet. In November, we present world premieres from some of the dance world’s most exciting choreographers – Garrett Smith, Juliano Nunes, and Yin Yue. These unique premieres will have you amazed at what ballet can be today.

George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®

December 6 – 31

La Bayadère

March 5 – 15

Suspended in Time

April 2 – 5

In April, we present three dynamic ballets from acclaimed choreographers: Clear by Houston Ballet Artistic Director Stanton Welch, AM; Suspended in Time by Pennsylvania Ballet Artistic Director Angel Corella, Kiril Radev, and Company Member Russell Ducker; and a world premiere from our Choreographer in Residence Matthew Neenan. Set to diverse music – from Bach to Electric Light Orchestra – and showing off the athleticism of our dancers, this energetic program will captivate the senses.

Breathtaking Balanchine

May 7 – 10

Experience the genius of the man who reinvented ballet. Our final program of the season celebrates the 20th century’s greatest choreographer, George Balanchine, with three of his masterpieces – the lush Ballet Imperial, evocative Who Cares?, and dazzling Symphony in C. Set to music by Tchaikovsky, Gershwin, and Bizet, this exciting and elegant program demonstrates both the unmatched artistry of Balanchine and his profound influence on Pennsylvania Ballet.

Thanks for sharing Canbelto.  Do you have any thoughts about this?

The corps has been consistently impressive in the last few years of big story ballets, and this is where more of the turnover is.  It will be interesting to see what the new rankings and influx of dancers will bring to Don Q, though most of the principals were here and danced the last time.  I wonder if there is even higher expectation for this ballet because it is such a signature performance of Angel Corella's?  Regrettably, I did not get to see the Don Quixote performance of a few years ago, so I am looking forward to it and the rest of the performance season!    

I sadly moved away from Philly between last season and now, which is a shame as I was looking forward to a lot of the works they had coming up. Opening night should be great, though! I specifically wanted to see Mayara in this role. It should be a treat, for sure!