This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT bringing Swan Lake to Wolftrap this summer

So which Swan Lake leading duo do folks recommend that I see at Wolf Trap?

July 11 - Seo/Stearns

July 12 - Copeland/Cornejo

July 13 - Teuscher/Bell

I'm leaning towards Teuscher/Bell because both are fairly new to their roles and have received positive reviews in other ballets.

29 minutes ago, Roberta said:

So which Swan Lake leading duo do folks recommend that I see at Wolf Trap?

July 11 - Seo/Stearns

July 12 - Copeland/Cornejo

July 13 - Teuscher/Bell

I'm leaning towards Teuscher/Bell because both are fairly new to their roles and have received positive reviews in other ballets.

I think you're leaning in the right direction.  Teuscher is a lovely O/O, and they were gorgeous together in Romeo and Juliet last year.  I can't wait to see them in Swan Lane this June. 

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Anyone going to this?

Just out of curiosity: what’s it like there for the dancers in terms of climate control? Is there any cooling system for the stage? for backstage?

I am going, apparently on Thursday (I'd rather go on Saturday since I was really impressed by Teuscher). I would avoid Friday because Misty Copeland draws a HUGE crowd anytime she performs in the DC area.

I don't know about the backstage, but there is no cooling system on the stage, as several performers (e.g., Josh Groban, Andrew Litton) have mentioned.

42 minutes ago, YouOverThere said:

I am going, apparently on Thursday (I'd rather go on Saturday since I was really impressed by Teuscher). I would avoid Friday because Misty Copeland draws a HUGE crowd anytime she performs in the DC area.

After being not terribly impressed with an O/O from her a few years ago, I found Teuscher’s performance in NYC this year to be quite satisfying. Would love to hear your thoughts on Thursday’s, as I also quite liked Seo’s Odette (again after being previously less impressed) and Royal’s Rothbart.

Yesterday I saw Christine and Alex perform the dying swan for a kids show at the new victory theatre. She was just exquisite, impressive for not having had the entire show to build on emotionally. I wish Christine was performing at Wolf Trap, more than just the new York audience need to see her Swan Lake! In my opinion, she is the current best interpreter of the role, Gillian aside. Definitely deserved more than one show this past met season. 

1 hour ago, Lena C. said:

Anyone else think Sarah only came on the wolf trap tour to be Misty's understudy? 

Most definitely. But, I’m sure she enjoyed accompanying her husband who was scheduled to dance.

1 hour ago, Lena C. said:

Yesterday I saw Christine and Alex perform the dying swan for a kids show at the new victory theatre. She was just exquisite, impressive for not having had the entire show to build on emotionally. I wish Christine was performing at Wolf Trap, more than just the new York audience need to see her Swan Lake! In my opinion, she is the current best interpreter of the role, Gillian aside. Definitely deserved more than one show this past met season. 

I believe you mean the White Swan pas de deux. The dying swan is a stand alone solo that is not part of Swan Lake. I agree that Shevchenko deserved more than one show at the Met and she should be doing it at Wolf Trap instead of one of the other ladies.

4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Most definitely. But, I’m sure she enjoyed accompanying her husband who was scheduled to dance.

I believe you mean the White Swan pas de deux. The dying swan is a stand alone solo that is not part of Swan Lake. I agree that Shevchenko deserved more than one show at the Met and she should be doing it at Wolf Trap instead of one of the other ladies.

It is so irritating that Sarah is considered only good enough to understudy. 

Yes, I meant the white swan pas. It was listen as dying swan in the program, but perhaps that was only for the benefit of the children's understanding. I do hope Christine gets two shows next spring. While lovely dancers, Hee and Devon are not at her level.

1 hour ago, California said:

Misty has posted on Instagram the crowd loudly cheering her entrance in Act II. Any word on how she did in Act III? The same substitutions for the fouettes that she reportedly used in her second NYC performance?

I'm curious about that, too. It's interesting that she's tagged balletconrad. I wasn't sure if she was still working with him, but apparently she is. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

This photo posted by Wolf Trap (and taken by D.C.-based photographer Scott Suchman) seems to indicate that yes, Copeland danced Act III, though this could of course be a rehearsal photo. I think she looks remarkably stiff from the waist up.

If Lane’s photo is from Wolf Trap, then she seems to have been on deck again. Her befuddled expression speaks volumes. 

6 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

If Lane’s photo is from Wolf Trap, then she seems to have been on deck again. Her befuddled expression speaks volumes. 

If she was truly in costume not sure whether she was going to dance, that’s nuts!

12 minutes ago, California said:

I haven't bothered with the ABT Swan Lake in years, since Marcelo departed. If they cast Sarah Lane in 2020, that would bring me back, especially if she does it with Cornejo! I suspect others share my views on this.

In my opinion, you are missing out by not seeing Shevchenko in the role! (Not that Sarah wouldn't be reason to come back too, but there are other good reasons to see it)

55 minutes ago, aurora said:

In my opinion, you are missing out by not seeing Shevchenko in the role! (Not that Sarah wouldn't be reason to come back too, but there are other good reasons to see it)

Shevchenko and Lane are the only O/O I would see (again). Although, next year I might see Teuscher again only to see Bell as Siegfried. 

3 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Shevchenko and Lane are the only O/O I would see (again). Although, next year I might see Teuscher again only to see Bell as Siegfried. 

I thought Teuscher was excellent this year--much better than last.