Jump to content
ABT Fan

New Ratmansky full-length to premiere in 2020

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

Who saw this today? So many wonderful details!  So many nuances! And the Fugue is back! And Bathilde in the final scene!♥️

Are you talking about the Bolshoi Giselle? This is about the new ABT ballet.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Leah said:

Are you talking about the Bolshoi Giselle? This is about the new ABT ballet.

My bad! I posted in the wrong thread!😝

Share this post


Link to post

I would love to see this! Alas...not this year...but I'm hoping next year and the in the meanwhile looking forward to reading about it.

Share this post


Link to post

Casting is up for the performances at the Met in June:

Tuesday, June 2 at 7:30 p.m.
Callirhoe – Catherine Hurlin
Chaereas – Aran Bell

Wednesday, June 3 at 2 p.m.
Callirhoe – Christine Shevchenko
Chaereas – Thomas Forster

Wednesday, June 3 at 7:30 p.m.
Callirhoe – Hee Seo
Chaereas – Calvin Royal III

Thursday, June 4 at 7:30 p.m.
Callirhoe – Catherine Hurlin
Chaereas – Aran Bell

Friday, June 5 at 7:30 p.m.
Callirhoe – Hee Seo
Chaereas – Calvin Royal III

Saturday, June 6 at 2:00 p.m.
Callirhoe – Catherine Hurlin
Chaereas – Aran Bell

Saturday, June 6 at 8:00 p.m.
Callirhoe – Christine Shevchenko
Chaereas – Thomas Forster

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/5/2019 at 4:50 PM, Fleurfairy said:

Judging by the fact that we already know two of the casts (Hurlin/Bell and Shevchenko/Forster), it doesn’t seem likely. Especially when AD Favorites Boylston and Seo are available as well. 

Well, you called it. AD favorite Seo it is. I was really holding out hope for Lane, given her dismal casting this spring. Perhaps she'll understudy, given her appalling unofficial role as senior standby in the wings.

Nevertheless, I'm eager to see Shevchenko and Forster. Will definitely be there for both of their performances. On the fence about the other two casts, especially Seo and Royal. 

Share this post


Link to post

As choreographer doesn’t Ratmansky decide casting, not McKenzie? Please correct me if I’m wrong. I did think Lane was going to be cast though, maybe there’s a secondary female role we don’t know about yet?

Share this post


Link to post

Ratmansky is quite open that he decides casting and demands long rehearsal periods and great commitment to his projects. Hurlin and Shevchenko are people he's advocated for a long time, before they were soloists or principals.

Edited by canbelto

Share this post


Link to post

Oh okay. I'm glad that McKenzie doesn't have a complete monopoly over casting. Just held out hope that Ratmansky would cast Lane. Like Leah said, there's still the possibility of a secondary female role for her. Just hoping for ANY other roles for Lane. 

Share this post


Link to post

Heads up, there are some IG stories up now @abtofficial with rehearsal clips of the new ballet.

Edited by nanushka

Share this post


Link to post

On IG it has Whiteside in the role of Dionysius.

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, California said:

Wow! Notable absences: Copeland, Cornejo, Lane

And Lane is notably absent from the engagements in Chicago, North Carolina, UAE, Detroit!

Not surprising that Copeland wasn’t cast. She hasn’t been in a Ratmansky piece for some time (was replaced in Whipped Cream the last time it was performed and Brandt replaced her as Columbine before Harlequinade even opened).

Lane is doing the second act in Bayadère in Chicago with Ahn, at least, but missing from the other tours as you mentioned. Disappointing she’s apparently not in Love and Rage (unless she gets a very little part...).

At least Blaine Hoven finally has something to do. He is inexplicably missing from all plum casting on tour and at the Met (after an incredible year last year).

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Not surprising that Copeland wasn’t cast. She hasn’t been in a Ratmansky piece for some time (was replaced in Whipped Cream the last time it was performed and Brandt replaced her as Columbine before Harlequinade even opened).

Lane is doing the second act in Bayadère in Chicago with Ahn, at least, but missing from the other tours as you mentioned. Disappointing she’s apparently not in Love and Rage (unless she gets a very little part...).

At least Blaine Hoven finally has something to do. He is inexplicably missing from all plum casting on tour and at the Met (after an incredible year last year).

I noticed Keith Roberts in one of the shows as King of Babylon? Isn't he a ballet master for the company? So I do wonder why Blaine couldn't have done this or even an actual company member, since I can't imagine they are short on male dancers who can mime as well as Roman? I would think it is to the advantage to any company to give their dancers opportunities vs a teaching staff.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, stuben said:

I noticed Keith Roberts in one of the shows as King of Babylon? Isn't he a ballet master for the company? So I do wonder why Blaine couldn't have done this or even an actual company member, since I can't imagine they are short on male dancers who can mime as well as Roman? I would think it is to the advantage to any company to give their dancers opportunities vs a teaching staff.

OTOH perhaps giving a member of the teaching staff a role in a prominent premiere is one way of motivating staff retention when they may not be able to pay highly competitive salaries.

But yeah, seems a little unfortunate.

Share this post


Link to post

I’m going to assume that the King of Babylon is a purely acting role, as Zhurbin does many of those in the full lengths as does Roberts. Roberts is an exceptional actor so casting him makes sense to me. Hoven is in the same cast as Dionysius, which is a dancing role (based off of Whiteside’s Instagram post in the same role).

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I’m going to assume that the King of Babylon is a purely acting role, as Zhurbin does many of those in the full lengths as does Roberts. Roberts is an exceptional actor so casting him makes sense to me. Hoven is in the same cast as Dionysius, which is a dancing role (based off of Whiteside’s Instagram post in the same role).

Oops good catch I missed that one of Blaine, I stand corrected 😊 and I completely agree about Roman as a wonderful actor as I have enjoyed his performances for so many years! However, it is still unfortunate that no other dancer is able to step in vs a teaching staff, then again, even the wonderful Georgina Parkinson has stepped in for so many years herself wonderfully. Well at least Hoven has something better than nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, California said:

Wow! Notable absences: Copeland, Cornejo, Lane

And Lane is notably absent from the engagements in Chicago, North Carolina, UAE, Detroit!

*sigh* Well there goes my hope for additional performances for Lane. Very disappointed. Oh well. Still looking forward to seeing Schevchenko and Forster. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...