ABT Fan

New Ratmansky full-length to premiere in 2020

I just received an email from ABT (Pointe of View) and the first article is asking folks to vote for the 2019 FEDORA Van Cleef & Arpels Prize for Ballet for Ratmansky's next full length production for 2020 - "Of Love and Rage" (working title).

The ballet (which will be co-produced with the Nat'l Ballet of Canada) will be a modern take on Callirhoe, apparently the oldest surviving novel ever written.

You can read about the story of Callirhoe, below. I can't visualize how this may play out on stage, but I really hope it doesn't turn out to be another Tempest.

https://www.fedora-platform.com/competition/shortlist/of-love-and-rage-working-title/109?utm_source=American+Ballet+Theatre+Email+List&utm_campaign=d92fdb5e9b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_02_04_08_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b753a183e0-d92fdb5e9b-135047773

Edited by ABT Fan

33 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I just received an email from ABT (Pointe of View) and the first article is asking folks to vote for the 2019 FEDORA Van Cleef & Arpels Prize for Ballet for Ratmansky's next full length production for 2020 - "Of Love and Rage" (working title).

The ballet (which will be co-produced with the Nat'l Ballet of Canada) will be a modern take on Callirhoe, apparently the oldest surviving novel ever written.

You can read about the story of Callirhoe, below. I can't visualize how this may play out on stage, but I really hope it doesn't turn out to be another Tempest.

https://www.fedora-platform.com/competition/shortlist/of-love-and-rage-working-title/109?utm_source=American+Ballet+Theatre+Email+List&utm_campaign=d92fdb5e9b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_02_04_08_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b753a183e0-d92fdb5e9b-135047773

Intriguing. 2020 looks to be a busy year for him. I believe Miami City Ballet is also staging his reconstruction of Swan Lake in 2020, although we haven't seen any dates.

I think Ratmansky's wife may handle a great deal of the work of staging his ballets on other companies after the works have already premiered.  

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

It sounds a bit like Corsaire to me--a beautiful woman is kidnapped, sold as a slave, etc. Very 19th century.

Callihroe is a latist Hellenistic novel, a first century BC form, when Greek art had lost its way with too much fullness as we're taught in school, and they're proposing to superimpose a 500 BC classical ideal over it – which should be very strange. I read a couple of that group of novels once and they seemed like soap operas or prototypes for Richardson novels. (Daphne and Chloe was like a Stephen Boyd Cinemascope version of a Sappho fragment.) Ratmansky's new project could turn out to be something like a Pre-Raphaelite ballet or a series of Puvis de Chavannes paintings. Not exactly advancing the art.

Added: Actually the novels were fun to read, my response was colored by my disappointment that Ratmansky is not doing a contemporary work.

Edited by Quiggin