pherank

SFB Classes & Events 2019

There will likely be a handful of seminars and master classes this season. Currently, I only know of classes planned for Lander's Etudes, and Sleeping Beauty.

If anyone has plans to attend the Etudes 1-day course [Sunday, February 10, 2pm], or attend/observe the Etudes Master Class with Sofiane Sylve [February 3, 2019], we would love to hear your report.

Edited by pherank

Posted (edited)

SFB has sent out another reminder of upcoming ballet-related events, and it all sounds like fun. [I'm quoting from the SFB announcements below]

Ballet + Film + Television
Starting Sep 22, we're covering everything from dance films to live streams in three interactive sessions. Hear from former SF Ballet dancers about what it's like dancing for film, plus delve into the history of American ballet on film and TV. Pick your favorite topic, or join us for all three—tickets are just $35.

https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/balletinsights

Life Behind the Curtain
Ballet Basics gives you everything you need to appreciate a night at SF Ballet. On Sunday Oct 20, take a ballet class, hear from an artist, and learn all about the history of classical ballet.

https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/ballet-basics-1020

See the First Ever Clara Panel
What was it like to dance in the first full-length production of Nutcracker in 1944? On Sunday Nov 3, hear from the original cast members, a Nutcracker expert, and Claras through the years in a one-day event diving into the history and legacy of this iconic ballet.

https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/Exploring-Nutcracker/

Nutcracker wasn’t always an American holiday tradition. Seventy-five years ago, SF Ballet Artistic Director Willam Christensen made it one with the first performance of a full-length Nutcracker in the United States, right here in San Francisco.

In celebration of that anniversary, join Nutcracker expert Jennifer Fisher, PhD, members of the original 1944 Nutcracker cast, and Claras from throughout the years for a one-day event diving into the history and legacy of this iconic ballet.

Features

•     Hear from noted Nutcracker expert Jennifer Fisher, a professor at UC Irvine
  •     Learn about what it was like to participate in that very first 1944 Nutcracker from Janet Sassoon and Joan Vickers, both original cast members
  •     See the first-ever SF Ballet “Clara Panel,” and discover what kind of impact Nutcracker had on several remarkable women

I wonder if soloist Elizabeth Powell will be on the Clara Panel?

Edited by pherank

The Nutcracker panel sounds very exciting -- I hope these will be recorded.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:28 PM, pherank said:

I wonder if soloist Elizabeth Powell will be on the Clara Panel?

I hope so. I had always been pretty indifferent to her dancing (couldn't tell you why, just never "felt" it) until the Ballet Sun Valley festival in Idaho last month. She was amazing in a pas from Peck's Hurry Up We're Dreaming. Even my partner — who thinks all ballet is pleasant enough but never has strong options  — couldn't stop talking about how special she was in it.

34 minutes ago, Syzygy said:

I hope so. I had always been pretty indifferent to her dancing (couldn't tell you why, just never "felt" it) until the Ballet Sun Valley festival in Idaho last month. She was amazing in a pas from Peck's Hurry Up We're Dreaming. Even my partner — who thinks all ballet is pleasant enough but never has strong options  — couldn't stop talking about how special she was in it.

That's the general problem with dancing in the Corps de Ballet - the audience isn't going to see a lot of distinct personality in the dancing. The whole point of the Corps is to dance and appear as one uniform mass of perfection/loveliness/whatever. But there aren't many chances to develop a distinct approach to anything. That's why the audience is often surprised by the new soloist - I've never seen her/him dance like THAT before! Powell was dancing full out on a high level in every role I saw her in last season. She definitely proved herself (which was a relief). But I had been keeping an eye on her progress as I knew that Tomasson was a believer - she was on the fast track until she suffered a serious injury to her foot (at about the same time that Vanessa Zahorian suffered the same kind of injury). So Powell spent almost a year out of the public eye trying to recover. Major injuries just take the momentum out of everything, but unfortunately they are here to stay in the world of dance.

When Dores Andre was promoted to Principal she danced with a whole other level of confidence and flair, so these promotions can make a big difference in how a dancer feels about his/her self and career.

[Lizzy Powell was Clara at the time of the SFB DVD filming, so she's probably the most high-profile Clara for that reason.]

An update on the upcoming Ballet Insights seminars:

September 22, 1–3 pm: Early Days

Get a quick history of American ballet on film and television.
    See footage of SF Ballet productions from the 1950s and 1960s.

Hear from former SF Ballet dancers Sally Bailey, Henry Berg, and Carlos Carvajal about what it was like to perform in these productions.

September 29, 1–3 pm: The Dance Boom

What was it like to film dance for television at the height of the dance boom? Hear from producer and SF Dance Film Executive Director Judy Flannery about managing the production department for KQED during the 1980s and its partnership with SF Ballet.

Hear from former SF Ballet dancers Anita Paciotti and Jim Sohm who performed in SF Ballet’s major works for television, including Romeo & Juliet (1980) and The Tempest (1981).

October 6, 1–3 pm: New Modes, New Media

With the advent of the internet, modes of transmission have dramatically increased. Learn about what it takes to produce dance films and live streams from SF Ballet General Manager Debra Bernard.
    Screendance and the SF Dance Film Festival offer opportunities for SF Ballet dancers and choreographers to flex new muscles.

Hear from Principal Dancer Benjamin Freemantle and Soloist Madison Keesler about their work in this medium, how dancing on film is different from dancing on stage, and how they transfer their skills behind the camera.

Tickets:
https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/balletinsights

Edited by pherank

On 8/28/2019 at 2:00 PM, pherank said:

That's the general problem with dancing in the Corps de Ballet - the audience isn't going to see a lot of distinct personality in the dancing. The whole point of the Corps is to dance and appear as one uniform mass of perfection/loveliness/whatever. But there aren't many chances to develop a distinct approach to anything. That's why the audience is often surprised by the new soloist - I've never seen her/him dance like THAT before! Powell was dancing full out on a high level in every role I saw her in last season. She definitely proved herself (which was a relief). But I had been keeping an eye on her progress as I knew that Tomasson was a believer - she was on the fast track until she suffered a serious injury to her foot (at about the same time that Vanessa Zahorian suffered the same kind of injury). So Powell spent almost a year out of the public eye trying to recover. Major injuries just take the momentum out of everything, but unfortunately they are here to stay in the world of dance.

[Lizzy Powell was Clara at the time of the SFB DVD filming, so she's probably the most high-profile Clara for that reason.]

Sure? I understand who is she, how corps works, how much the audience sees, etc. Still, like everyone else, I've always had corps favorites. Powell wasn't one of mine, sounds like she one of yours.