This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center casting, April 2019

F.Y.I. casting from KC site, sent by a D.C. friend

Mariinsky Ballet
with the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra 

“Unrivaled... studded with virtuosic displays”
—The Washington Post

For more than two and a half centuries, Mariinsky Ballet has been a crown jewel of the art form, celebrated for its dancers of unmatched skill and majesty. For its annual engagement, the legendary company presents Marius Petipa’s captivating story of bold pirates, passionate maidens, shocking betrayal, and a dramatic shipwreck rescue. The Mariinsky last performed this grand masterpiece at the Kennedy Center more than a decade ago to sold-out crowds, and they return to the Opera House once again with extraordinary technique. Beloved for its breathtaking choreography, virtuosic dancing, and spectacular scenery and costumes, Le Corsaire is an unmissable, swashbuckling adventure. Petipa revived the ballet for the Mariinsky more than a century ago, and the company continues to perform it with exhilarating freshness and tradition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PRINCIPLE CASTING (subject to change)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tue., Apr. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
Medora: Viktoria Tereshkina
Conrad: Timur Askerov
Gulnara: Renata Shakirova
Ali: Kimin Kim
Lankedem: Alexei Timofeyev

Wed., Apr. 10 at 7:30 p.m.
Medora: Ekaterina Kondaurova
Conrad: Andrei Yermakov
Gulnara: Elena Evseyeva
Ali: Vladimir Shklyarov
Lankedem: Philipp Stepin

Thu., Apr. 11 at 7:30 p.m.
Medora: Maria Khoreva
Conrad: Xander Parish
Gulnara: Maria Shirinkina
Ali: Timur Askerov
Lankedem: Victor Caixeta

Fri., Apr. 12 at 7:30 p.m.
Conrad: Konsantin Zverev

Sat., Apr. 13 at 1:30 p.m.
Medora: Maria Khoreva
Conrad: Xander Parish
Gulnara: Maria Shirinkina
Ali: Timur Askerov
Lankedem: Victor Caixeta

Sat., Apr. 13 at 7:30 p.m.

Medora: Ekaterina Kondaurova
Conrad: Andrei Yermakov
Gulnara: Elena Evseyeva
Ali: Vladimir Shklyarov
Lankedem: Philipp Stepin

Sun., Apr. 14 at 1:30 p.m.
Conrad: Konstantin Zverev

Thank you for posting @rg -- the person who predicted D.C. would be seeing Khoreva as Medora called it correctly.

If all goes well, then I will be going to D.C. and have a chance to see each of these casts over the weekend. Looking forward to it!

On 2/4/2019 at 9:13 PM, Drew said:

If all goes well, then I will be going to D.C. and have a chance to see each of these casts over the weekend. Looking forward to it!

Did you attend last night, Drew? Here's my thoughts about my first time seeing Mariinsky Ballet live. I went in without any judgement or concrete expectations and left looking forward to seeing them again in the fall for Paquita :)

1 minute ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

Did you attend last night, Drew? Here's my thoughts about my first time seeing Mariinsky Ballet live. I went in without any judgement or concrete expectations and left looking forward to seeing them again in the fall for Paquita :)

May Nagahisa did not perform last night. While the program had her name, Maria Bulanova performed in her place. 

11 minutes ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

Oh - thank you for pointing that out! I had no idea - how did you learn that? Clearly, I am not as familiar with Mariinsky's dancers.

Xander Parrish’s Instagram stories, and I also had friends who went. There’s been a big shift in casting for this tour, so I wouldn’t be surprised if more names are incorrect in the Soloist/smaller roles. 

1 hour ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

Thanks -  I enjoyed reading your comments. If my travel plans pan out, then I will be there this weekend.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:48 PM, Dreamer said:

The reason that three Odalisques did not appear to be musical or in formation might have to do with the orchestra not fully comfortable with the score and the stage being of a smaller size from what these dancers were used to. At the open rehearsal, many adjustments had to be made to the placement of dancers to allow them to perform all the steps without bumping into each other and several dancers made suggestions/requests as to how the music should be played. 

Thanks for this insight.