This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Colorado Ballet 2019-20 season

Just announced: https://www.coloradoballet.org/performances/2019-2020-season

Very glad that they are back to five programs a year, all at the Opera House!

Don Quixote

October 4 - 13, 2019

Don Quixote remains one of today’s most frequently performed works with original classical choreography by Marius Petipa, restaged for this production by Colorado Ballet’s Artistic Director Gil Boggs and Ballet Mistresses Sandra Brown and Lorita Travaglia. This production delights with stunning Spanish sets and costumes. Follow Don Quixote and Sancho Panza's search for a noble adventure—let this story take you on a journey that encounters a band of gypsies, dreams and a surprising turn of events. 

The Nutcracker

November 30 - December 24, 2019

Audiences simply can’t get enough of Colorado Ballet’s acclaimed production of The Nutcracker. Returning for its 59th season, this beloved holiday favorite sells out every year. Experience this whimsical trip to the sugar plum kingdom where magical dances come alive. Last year’s production hit record breaking ticket sales, so patrons will want to secure their seats early for this holiday tradition—most performances fill up prior to opening night.  

Peter Pan

January 31 - February 9, 2020

Peter Pan will take audiences on a high-flying adventure to Never, Never Land—where Peter Pan, Wendy, John and Michael experience pirates, Lost Boys, Captain Hook, an infamous crocodile and a little bit of pixie dust as this brilliant story unfolds. With choreography by Michael Pink and music by Philip Feeney, this ballet features the same artistic duo that created the acclaimed ballet Dracula, which Colorado audiences will recall from sold-out performances in fall of 2017.    

Tour de Force

March 6 - 8, 2020

This season’s Tour de Force program continues in the spirit of innovative dance with dynamic and acclaimed contemporary works. Colorado Ballet’s dancers will open the program with Feast of the Gods by choreographer Edwaard Liang, who won the Prince Prize for Choreography and was nominated for the Golden Mast Award in Russia for Best Production. The program will include the world premiere of an all-new work, and close with Celts, by choreographer Lila York. "…an astonishing array of dance images of Ireland, a piece that is both profound and thrilling." - The Boston Globe on Celts 

Ballet MasterWorks

April 3 - 12, 2020

To close the 2019/2020 season, Colorado Ballet presents monumental favorites in Ballet MasterWorks. Featuring Petite Mort by choreographer Jiří Kylián and Twyla Tharp’s In The Upper Room, this program showcase works that profoundly impacted the art form and remain central masterpieces of the 20th century ballet repertoire. 

EDITED TO ADD: Theme and Variations has just been announced as the third work. They did a very nice job with this a few years ago, although the principal dancers are now different.

Edited by California
additional announcement

Only a handful of people on this site ever see the Colorado Ballet, but excuse me for a little hometown bragging today. Last night was the opening night of their Nutcracker season which is almost sold out already. Highlights:

• Francisco Estevez and Asuka Sasaki did a gorgeous torch lift in the PdD. They did this a year ago and I'm glad to see them make it a regular feature. There was a time when I never thought I'd see non-Russians do this at all, let alone well. They were my favorite pair in Don Quixote this fall and they are developing into a wonderful partnership. I was up front and caught some knowing smiles between them when they knocked out some great moves. Fun to see.
  • Kevin Gael Thomas whipped off his revoltade 540 in the Russian dance. It's a regular trick for him, always done well. I see him throw it in whenever he can.
  • Sean Omandan, newly promoted to demi-soloist, did his aerial walk-over, always a hit, in the Russian dance.
  • MacKenzie Dezens did four solid Italian fouettes as Dewdrop.
  • Tracy Jones and Fernanda Oliveira sizzled in the Spanish dance, as both did as Mercedes last fall. So much presence and charisma!
  • Several dancers of color in the corps - very nice to see.

This company has used their sets/costumes for 15 years -- after buying them from the San Francisco Ballet, so they're getting pretty rag-tag. They just started a big fund-raiser to get new ones for next year. Personally, I'd like to see them rethink the Chinese dance, as other companies are doing now.

Edited by California
5 hours ago, California said:

Only a handful of people on this site ever see the Colorado Ballet, but excuse me for a little hometown bragging today.

Good for you - it's not fair that so many small and regional companies are mostly unsung on the forums. Most companies deserve having their efforts recorded (and discussed) for posterity.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, what is Colorado Ballet's current Chinese Dance like?

Edited by pherank
44 minutes ago, pherank said:

EDIT: I forgot to ask, what is Colorado Ballet's current Chinese Dance like?

A lone male with a pole jumping over a "dragon" (three people under a cloth thing). It's actually not as bad as some I've seen, but the silly caricature of an historic civilization always bothers me. 

3 minutes ago, California said:

A lone male with a pole jumping over a "dragon" (three people under a cloth thing). It's actually not as bad as some I've seen, but the silly caricature of an historic civilization always bothers me. 

As you probably know, the current SFB version is a reference to the SF Chinatown New Year parade (shown in this video after the Disney Fantasia version). My main problem with this divertissement is that it is so darn short.  ;)

1 hour ago, pherank said:

As you probably know, the current SFB version is a reference to the SF Chinatown New Year parade (shown in this video after the Disney Fantasia version). My main problem with this divertissement is that it is so darn short.  😉

I like that. The man's costume is understated, not silly, just vaguely Chinese.  The choreography is impressive classical steps with only the slightest bow to "Chinese" stereotypes. Making it less "authentic" works for me!

On 12/1/2019 at 3:53 PM, California said:

I like that. The man's costume is understated, not silly, just vaguely Chinese.  The choreography is impressive classical steps with only the slightest bow to "Chinese" stereotypes. Making it less "authentic" works for me!

There are a few actual Kung-fu martial arts stances used in the choreography, and that fits with what goes on at the Chinese New Year parade (lots of local martial arts studios participate in the parade). That may be "cliche" but it's real life.

Edited by pherank

The Colorado Ballet has posted on Facebook that they have cancelled Masterworks. Not that they had any choice since Denver has prohibited gatherings of more than 250 people through April 12.

Totally infuriating, as this disease did not have to happen. SARS and 2 deadly strains of bird flu developing out of Chinese wildlife markets should have given the Chinese government more than enough motivation to close down the markets.