I enjoyed White Crow... I took a 20 year old who knew almost nothing about Nureyev and it touched her...  i had little hope for the movie, after all who could match Nureyev's charisma, but I thought it was well done.  One get's the turmoil involved...   I thought it interesting how the actor tried to portray Pushkin... seemed close to the youtube clips... but Lifar made out like a bandit...

I saw White Crow yesterday and loved it! It's not a "ballet film" with extensive performing, just brief glimpses of the classroom, rehearsal, and performance. But for ballet lovers who know Nureyev's story, it's fascinating to see it spelled out in narrative detail. The childhood in Siberia, the desperate poverty, the reminder that his father went off to fight in WWII and made it home, the supreme confidence in his own dancing, the excitement of experiencing Paris for the first time, the terror at the realization that the KGB was sending him back to Moscow to prison or worse. . .  Lots of cutting back and forth in time which worked for me. I hope it makes it to Netflix or HBO eventually so I can study details.