This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

And a list of Royal Ballet live performances

Season 2011/2012
https://www.roh.org.uk/news/cinema-season-201112-launched

The Sleeping Beauty-ROH-15.12.2011-L. Cuthbertson-S. Polunin
Romeo and Juliet-ROH-22.03.2012-L. Cuthbertson-F. Bonelli
La Fille mal gardée-ROH-16.05.2012-R. Marquez-St. McRae

Season 2012/2013
https://www.roh.org.uk/news/cinema-season-201213-announced

Swan Lake-ROH-23.10.2012-Z. Yanowsky-N. Kish-1080p
The Nutcracker-ROH-13.12.2012-St. McRae-R. Marquez-L. Morera-chor. P. Wright
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland-ROH-28.03.2013-Sarah Lamb-Federico Bonelli

Season 2013/2014
https://www.roh.org.uk/news/roh-live-cinema-season-201314-tickets-on-sale

Don Quixote-ROH-16.10.2013-M. Nunez-C. Acosta-chor. C. Acosta
The Nutcracker-ROH-12.12.2013-L. Morera-F. Bonelli
Giselle-ROH-27.01.2014-N. Osipova-C. Acosta
The Sleeping Beauty-ROH-19.03.2014-S. Lamb-St. McRae
The Winter's Tale-ROH-28.04.2014-L. Cuthbertson-E. Watson-S. Lamb-St. McRae-Z. Yanowsky-F. Bonelli

Season 2014/2015
https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-live-cinema-season-201415

Manon-ROH-16.10.2014-Nunez-Bonelli
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland-ROH-16.12.2014-S. Lamb-F. Bonelli
Swan Lake-ROH-17.03.2015-N. Osipova-M. Golding
La Fille mal gardee-ROH-05.05.2015-N. Osipova-St. McRae

Season 2015/2016
https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-live-cinema-season-201516

Romeo and Juliet-ROH-22.09.2015-S. Lamb-St. McRae
Viscera-Afternoon of a Faun-Tchaikovsky PDD-Carmen-ROH-12.11.2015-Mixed Bill
The Nutcracker-ROH-16.12.2015-L. Cuthbertson-N. Kish-Fr. Hayward-A. Campbell
Rhapsody-The 2 Pigeons-ROH-26.01.2016-N. Osipova-St. McRae-L. Cuthbertson-V. Muntagirov
Giselle-ROH-06.04.2016-M. Nunez-V. Muntagirov
Frankestein-ROH-18.05.2016-F. Bonelli-L. Morera-St. McRae

Season 2016/2017
https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-live-cinema-season-201617

Anastasia-ROH-02.11.2016-N. Osipova
The Nutcracker-ROH-08.12.2016-L. Cuthbertson-F. Bonelli 
Woolf Works-ROH-08.02.2017-A. Ferri-F. Bonelli
The Sleeping Beauty-ROH-28.02.2017-M. Nunez-V. Muntagirov
Jewels-ROH-11.04.2017-M. Nunez-Th. Soares-S. Lamb-St. McRae
The Dream-Symphonic Variations-Marguerite and Armand-ROH-07.06.2017

Season 2017/2018
https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-live-cinema-season-201718

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland ROH-23.10.2017-L. Cuthbertson-F. Bonelli
The Nutcracker-ROH-05.12.2017-S. Lamb-St. McRae
The Winter's tale-ROH-28.02.2018-R. Hirano-L. Cuthbertson-S. Lamb-V. Muntagirov-L. Morera-M. Ball
Bernstein Centenary triple bill-27.03.2018-Yugen (W McGregor)-The Age of Anxiety  (L Scarlett)-Corybantic Games  (C Wheeldon)  Manon-ROH-03.05.2018-S. Lamb-V. Muntagirov
Swan Lake-ROH-12.06.2018-M. Nunez-V. Muntagirov

Season 2018/2019
https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-2018-19-season-announced

Mayerling-ROH-15.10.2018 -St. McRae-S. Lamb
La Bayadere-ROH-13.11.2018-N. Osipova-V. Mugadirov-M. Nunez
The Nutcracker-ROH-03.12.2018-M. Nunez-V. Muntagirov
Don Quixote-ROH-19.02.2019-Chor. C. Acosta-A. Takada-A. Campbell
Flight Pattern (Pite) / Within the Golden Hour (Wheeldon) / New work (Cherkaoui)-ROH-16.05.2019
Romeo and Juliet-ROH-11.06.2019-Y. Naghdi-M. Ball

Edited by sofiabn

Thanks for this, sofiabn.

I'd add:

----------------------------------------------------------

2016.01.26  Rhapsody / The Two Pigeons  - Osipova-McRae, Cuthbertson-Muntagirov

2018.03.27  Bernstein Centenary triple bill - 

Yugen (W McGregor)

The Age of Anxiety  (L Scarlett)  

Corybantic Games  (C Wheeldon)  

----------------------------------------------------------

5 hours ago, sofiabn said:

Anastasia ROH 11.02.2016 Osipova

The correct date for this is 2 November 2016. It was the first relay for the 2016-17 season.

The Nutcracker-ROH-16.12.2015-L. Cuthbertson-A. Campbell

The cast was Cuthbertson as the Sugar Plum Fairy, Nehemiah Kish as her cavalier, Francesca Hayward as Clara and Campbell as Hans-Peter.

Alice's Adventures  in Wonderland ROH-2011-L. Cuthbertson-S. Polunin

I don't remember this being a live relay.  It may have been shown later in some cinemas (I don't know), but I believe it was filmed for the DVD.

For the first cinema season, the Royal Ballet showcased their heritage: the 19th-century classics, MacMillan and Ashton - The Sleeping Beauty, Romeo and Juliet and La Fille mal gardée, as you have on your list.

Edited by grey
formatting

As far as I can tell, the Royal Ballet's first live-to-cinema broadcast was The Nutcracker on 28 December 2008 with Alexandra Ansanelli, Valeri Hristov, Iohna Loots, Ricardo Cervera and Gary Avis.
https://www.timeout.com/london/dance/the-nutcracker-live-screening-4

Ashton's Ondine, with Mikayo Yoshida and Edward Watson, was broadcast live on 3 June 2009.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8080034.stm

This was followed by:
The Nutcracker, 8 December 2010, with Yoshida, Steven McRae, Loots, Cervera and Avis

Giselle, 19 January 2011, with Marianela Nunez, Rupert Pennefather, Helen Crawford and Avis

The broadcast of The Sleeping Beauty with Cuthbertson as Aurora took place on 15 December 2011.

The dates for the 2012 broadcasts of Romeo and Juliet, Fille and Swan Lake are correct, but their order is jumbled on your list.

The first fillm of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was not live, but it should be said that I was watching pre-recorded performances from the Royal Ballet at the cinema as early as 2006. In some cases these were significantly older films, such as Sylvia with an already retired Bussell, or Fille with Nunez and Acosta. But in other cases, such as Sleeping Beauty and Giselle with Cojocaru, they were shown in cinemas before being issued on DVD. Also, the Royal Opera House has a long-standing practice of broadcasting summertime performances to outdoor screens throughout the UK, which is not exactly the same thing, but something similar.

6 hours ago, grey said:

For the first cinema season, the Royal Ballet showcased their heritage: the 19th-century classics, MacMillan and Ashton - The Sleeping Beauty, Romeo and Juliet and La Fille mal gardée, as you have on your list.

36 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

The first fillm of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was not live, but it should be said that I was watching pre-recorded performances from the Royal Ballet at the cinema as early as 2006. In some cases these were significantly older films, such as Sylvia with an already retired Bussell, or Fille with Nunez and Acosta. But in other cases, such as Sleeping Beauty and Giselle with Cojocaru, they were shown in cinemas before being issued on DVD. Also, the Royal Opera House has a long-standing practice of broadcasting summertime performances to outdoor screens throughout the UK, which is not exactly the same thing, but something similar.

Thank you both of you.

I edit the list and I left only the live performances from the first cinema season (2011/2012) till today.

1 hour ago, grey said:

Thank you, volcanohunter.
It was interesting to read about the earlier live relays. Were they screened live outside the UK as well?
The date I have for this performance is 2 Dec 2009.

I think I got it from here: https://www.roh.org.uk/showings/the-nutcracker-recorded-2009

Good question. You must be correct. This cast was also advertised for December 2010, but it may have been a repeat. It also wouldn't be unusual for the Royal Ballet to field an identical cast. No one other than Gary Avis has ever played Drosselmeyer in a Nutcracker broadcast. (And with all due respect to him, that's a pity.)

Up until this season, all the Royal Ballet relays I saw I watched in Canada. I don't recall Ondine being broadcast, but I did see the Ansanelli-Hristov Nutcracker with a one-year delay (which is why I may have been confused about the Yoshida-McRae broadcast :blink:). None of the broadcasts I saw was actually live, because on weekdays in particular the broadcast time would have been very inconvenient. At best they were same-day broadcasts delayed by several hours.

The Royal Opera House solved the DVD thing early by buying Opus Arte, which is why so many of its broadcasts are available on disc. But it's been through a dizzying number of cinema distributors, and outside of Europe, the availability of broadcasts has been a hit-and-miss affair for years.

Edited by volcanohunter

Two points - I know there was one broadcast where Dowell was Drosselmeyer (Yoshida/Cope) - That I do remember .... and the ROH has - as of last November - sold Opus Arte to Naxos.  See here.  According to the article it was at a considerable loss.  

Edited by meunier fan

I wrote my reply in haste and should have specified that Avis has played Drosselmeyer in every cinema relay of The Nutcracker. Obviously he did not play the part in the original television broadcast of 1984, where Dowell was the SPF's Prince, nor did Avis play it in the subsequent television broadcast in 2000, where Dowell was Drosselmeyer. Incidentally, I prefer those two performances to any of the ones that followed.

My aside about Opus Arte was merely to highlight the subsequent fate of these cinema broadcasts. Since the Bolshoi got into the live-to-cinema market, it has maintained its presence in North American multiplexes pretty steadily. However, of 38 performances filmed so far, only eight have been released on DVD, in part because it has practically no control over the process. What is or isn't released is up to Bel Air Classiques to decide.

The Royal Ballet's ratio has been much higher because the opera house also owned the DVD production line. However, it's had the darndest time trying to maintain its presence in North American cinemas. Trying to track down the relays is a feat in itself, and huge swaths of territory aren't covered.

I wonder if, with the patchy distribution in North America and the possible reduction of DVD releases under Naxos, the Royal Ballet will eventually start streaming performances, for limited periods, the way Bolshoi and some companies in Europe are doing. That would be great.

21 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Obviously he did not play the part in the original television broadcast of 1984, where Dowell was the SPF's Prince, nor did Avis play it in the subsequent television broadcast in 2000, where Dowell was Drosselmeyer. Incidentally, I prefer those two performances to any of the ones that followed.

Would these broadcasts be of the same performances as the 1985 and 2000 DVDs? 
If they are, I'd be interested to hear why you prefer the earlier performances to the subsequent ones, especially since the two earlier ones are quite different from each other.

Just confirmed (what may have been known to others for a while) that the Royal Ballet Triple Bill with Medusa, that is, the new Cherkaoui, Flight Pattern, and Within the Golden Hour will make it to the Atlanta area-- not live but about a month later. Thrilled because I'm very curious about all three works on that program!  In fact, I have known for a while that RB broadcasts make it to Atlanta in recorded showings a month and longer after the live broadcast goes out--that's not really news--but the midweek nighttime scheduling has made them unrealistic options for me. And honestly I had long since forgotten that this triple bill would be one of the broadcasts.

Anyway,  June allows a little more freedom in my schedule and I will try my hardest not to miss this showing.

Edited by Drew
typo
9 hours ago, Drew said:

Just confirmed (what may have been known to others for a while) that the Royal Ballet Triple Bill with Medusa, that is, the new Cherkaoui, Flight Pattern, and Within the Golden Hour will make it to the Atlanta area-- not live but about a month later. Thrilled because I'm very curious about all three works on that program!  In fact, I have known for a while that RB broadcasts make it to Atlanta in recorded showings a month and longer after the live broadcast goes out--that's not really news--but the midweek nighttime scheduling has made them unrealistic options for me. And honestly I had long since forgotten that this triple bill would be one of the broadcasts.

Anyway,  June allows a little more freedom in a my schedule and I will try my hardest not to miss this showing.

It's coming to Seattle in June as well -- I'm really looking forward to this one.

On 5/12/2019 at 11:02 PM, sandik said:
On 5/12/2019 at 1:23 PM, Drew said:

Anyway,  June allows a little more freedom in a my schedule and I will try my hardest not to miss this showing.

It's coming to Seattle in June as well -- I'm really looking forward to this one.

June is a busy dance month here, but I managed to get to the theater this week to see this program.  I'll have more thoughts later, but just on the top, I was so glad to get a look at the Pite.  She seems to use her commissions from ballet companies to work on big cast projects, and that's the case here as well -- 30+ dancers on stage, mostly in large group forms.  She's trained in ballet, but the style she creates in has some significant differences from that tradition, and the dancers really seemed to give her what she wanted -- it was a stunning performance. 

According to my totally non-scientific poll (chatting it up with the people around me during the intervals) almost everyone was there to see the Pite.  And there were more people in the house for this than there have been for any of the other Royal Ballet in Cinema programs I've seen for the last several years.

Did anyone else here get a look at this program?