This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Maria Juncal (flamenco dancer)

Last night, I was dragged back to the Kennedy Center for a performance by the "Pan American Symphony Orchestra". This orchestra apparently consists of free-lance musicians organized by an Argentinian-born conductor to present Spanish/Latin American music to DC audiences . The quality of the musical performance wasn't in the same league as the major professional orchestras in the DC area, and their guest singer was good but nothing special (of course, I got to hear Renee Fleming sing on Friday, and not a whole lot of other singers are going to seem great in comparison). But they also had a flamenco dancer named Maria Juncal. I thought that her performance was close to the most intense dance performance that I've ever seen (she danced primarily to music by Manuel  de Falla). Has anyone ever heard of her? This being only the third professional flamenco performance that I've attended, I know neither how to describe nor evaluate it.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:06 PM, Petra said:

I've heard of her, but I'm embarrassed to say that I did not know she was still a performer. Maria Juncal comes to Israel once or twice a year and my teenage daughter has taken workshops with her. The girls love her classes.

I had the good fortune to interview her years ago for a local Seattle arts bulletin and found her inspiring. How I wish I might be able to take her class as your girls have but with two artificial hips it seems unlikely. 😉