This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thank you for posting, ABTFan. Interesting to reflect that Channing had only two major Broadway roles to her credit, Lorelei and Dolly.

An appreciation by Sylvie Drake in The Los Angeles Times:

As a former Times theater critic and reporter, I recall the instances in the late 1970s and early ’80s when, no matter how ritzy the eating establishment might be, Channing came to the interview with her own food and water. Never mind that she asked for ice from the nearest waiter and never questioned how her personal water might theoretically get contaminated once the ice melted. But that was Carol Channing. She picked her battles.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:33 PM, dirac said:

Interesting to reflect that Channing had only two major Broadway roles to her credit, Lorelei and Dolly.

As cruel as this may be, I imagine the vast majority of people, upon hearing this news, would say, "Who's Carol Channing?" Outside of musical theater devotees, Channing's portrayals of Lorelei Lee and Dolly Levi have long since been eclipsed by the portrayals of her movie counterparts, especially in regard to "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" and "Hello Dolly".

Perhaps Channing fell victim to the phenomenon Van Johnson talked about at the end of his very long life -- living long enough to see your fame disappear.

Edited by miliosr

I don't know. I know who she is and I am not really a musical theater devotee. I consider her ultra famous. Of course, I am 51 years old. I am sure you are right concerning much younger people. However, I suspect all gay men know who she is. If not, their card in the club needs to be revoked. 

I’d say both of you have a point. I’d also add that Channing played her cards better than many one or two hit wonders in terms of keeping her name before the public, although as time went on – and on, and on - I’m sure even her biggest fans probably wished she would just pack it in already. It sounds as if she was hooked on the attention, though, an occupational hazard for performers.

The cast of the current "Hello, Dolly!" pay tribute.