This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2019 Opening Night Gala

OPENING NIGHT GALA: THIS IS PASSION

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23 AT 8PM

Pas de Deux from "Rubies"

Choreography: George Balanchine
Music: Igor Stravinsky
Conductor: Martin West

Ana Sophia Scheller
Vitor Luiz

UnSaid

Choreography: Danielle Rowe
Music: Ezio Bosso
Natasha Feygina (piano) / Eric Sung (cello)

Sofiane Sylve
Aaron Robison

Pas de Deux from Handel—A Celebration

Choreography: Helgi Tomasson
Music: George Frideric Handel

Mathilde Froustey
Tiit Helimets

Excerpt from Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Choreography: Justin Peck
Music: M83

Elizabeth Powell
Luke Ingham
Gabriela Gonzalez
Ulrik Birkkjaer
Dores Andre
Joseph Walsh

Soirées Musicales

Music: Benjamin Britten

Misa Kuranaga
Angelo Greco

Pas de Trois from Agon

Music: Igor Stravinsky

Soloists to be announced.

Excerpt from Diving into the Lilacs

Choreography: Yuri Possokhov
Music: Boris Tchaikovksy

Yuan Yuan Tan
Carlo Di Lanno

Excerpt from Études

Choreography: Harald Lander
Music: Knudåge Lander after Carl Czerny

Sasha De Sola
Aaron Robison
Ulrik Birkkjae

I hope the result on the stage is a little more exciting than it appears on the page:  I can’t picture the lovely, but rather aloof Ana Sophia Scheller in the Rubies PdD; two unfamiliar (to me) Tomasson ballets which I expect will be as prettily bland as his other works; and Justin Peck’s sneaker ballet ‘Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming”, which I didn’t like.  At least we get something from Agon, plus the lovely pas de deux (which is the usual excerpt from this ballet) from Diving Into the Lilacs.

I’m unfamiliar with Danielle Rowe, choreographer of UnSaid:  according to Wikipedia (so no guarantees for accuracy), she’s from Australia and has danced with Houston Ballet, The Australian Ballet, and Nederlands Dans Theater, and “has been in a long term relationship with fellow South Australian [SFB principal dancer] Luke Ingham”.  

Edited by PeggyR
Added link
3 minutes ago, pherank said:

Misa Kuranaga dancing in the gala? What's the meaning of that? 'Enquiring minds want to know'.  😉

It does seem a little odd, bringing an outside dancer (Boston Ballet) in for a performance that's supposed to show off the company dancers.  Maybe it's an 'audition'?

4 minutes ago, PeggyR said:

It does seem a little odd, bringing an outside dancer (Boston Ballet) in for a performance that's supposed to show off the company dancers.  Maybe it's an 'audition'?

Certainly has that feel to it. Appearances in someone else's Nutcracker is another way to "try out" a company. I think Sarah Lane danced in SFB's Nutcracker a year or two ago. But I didn't really expect her to stick around - she got promoted at ABT around the same time. Maybe it was a ploy to get McKenzie to finally promote her.

Danielle Rowe is married (or maybe they are just partners) to Luke Ingham and they are parents of  the cutest little girl whose pictures can be found in their instagram. Danielle is a member of SFDanceWorks, a company founded by James Sofranko. I saw a piece she choreographed for that company and liked it a lot. Looking forward to seeing her new work commissioned for SFB. 

The appearance of Misa Kuranaga is very strange indeed when Frances Chung, Sarah Van Patten and Jennifer Stahl are missing from the program. 

Edited by Dreamer
28 minutes ago, pherank said:

I've heard before that BB and SFB enjoyed a "special relationship" though I'm not sure what that consists of.

Boston Ballet's Artistic Director is Mikko Nissinen (https://www.bostonballet.org/Home/The-Company/Board-Staff/Mikko-Nissinen.aspx).  He was a Principal Dancer at SFB for 10 years.

So I just went through my old programs and pulled a couple from 2002.  The apprentices that season were Jaime Garcia Castilla, Margaret Karl, Misa Kuranaga, Jonathan Mangosing, and Mariellen Olson.  Misa is the only apprentice who did not become a Corps De Ballet member the following year.  

Edited by sf_herminator
7 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

Danielle Rowe is married to Luke Ingham. She is a member of SFDanceWorks, a company founded by James Sofranko. I saw a piece she choreographed for that company and liked it a lot. Looking forward to seeing her new work commissioned for SFB. 

The appearance of Misa Kuranaga is very strange indeed when Frances Chung, Sarah Van Patten and Jennifer Stahl are missing from the program. 

Not to mention Frantziskonis, Julia Rowe, Zhao, Park, Ishihara, Strongin (probably injured), and more. But, it's not exactly a secret that not everyone love's the gala craziness.

Edited by pherank
28 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

21 minutes ago, pherank said:

Not to mention Frantziskonis, Julia Rowe, Zhao, Park, Ishihara, Strongin (probably injured), and more. But, it's not exactly a secret that not everyone love's the gala craziness.

The Pas de Trois from Agon is still to be cast, so maybe some of the above will show up there.

Why is Strongin 'probably injured'?

8 minutes ago, PeggyR said:

The Pas de Trois from Agon is still to be cast, so maybe some of the above will show up there.

Why is Strongin 'probably injured'?

She never participated in the Nutcracker program series, as far as I know (tell me if I'm wrong). Scheller was briefly injured (and mentioned it online) but seems to be ready to go. The same for Natasha Sheehan who missed the Nutcracker series.

Nice program this year. Of course I'm always interested in seeing Rubies and Agon (though "soloists to be announced" is a bit inauspicious). I did like Peck's Hurry Up We're Dreaming but hopefully the lighting will be brighter this time around so there'll be more of it. Alastair Macaulay listed Dreaming in his NYT Best of 2018 but it seemed to have lost out in the Unbound cut for reprise in 2019, so this is a bit of compensation.

I liked Aaron Robison very much in Violin Concerto and Urik Birkkjaer in the Chairman Dances male duet and Snowbound last year, so I'm looking forward to seeing them both in the Lander Etudes. Looking over old programs I realize Birkkjaer had danced here in 2011 when he was a member of the Royal Danish Ballet in Sylphide and Bournonville Variations at Zellerbach, so this will be something of old turf for him.

Harald Lander in rehearsal with Toni Lander and Erik Bruhn (music begins at the 3 minute mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3dkd5dC5oI

36 minutes ago, Quiggin said:

Nice program this year. Of course I'm always interested in seeing Rubies and Agon (though "soloists to be announced" is a bit inauspicious). I did like Peck's Hurry Up We're Dreaming but hopefully the lighting will be brighter this time around so there'll be more of it. Alastair Macaulay listed Dreaming in his NYT Best of 2018 but it seemed to have lost out in the Unbound cut for reprise in 2019, so this is a bit of compensation.

I liked Aaron Robison very much in Violin Concerto and Urik Birkkjaer in the Chairman Dances male duet and Snowbound last year, so I'm looking forward to seeing them both in the Lander Etudes. Looking over old programs I realize Birkkjaer had danced here in 2011 when he was a member of the Royal Danish Ballet in Sylphide and Bournonville Variations at Zellerbach, so this will be something of old turf for him.

Harald Lander in rehearsal with Toni Lander and Erik Bruhn (music begins at the 3 minute mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3dkd5dC5oI

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, thrill to the artistry of TO BE ANNOUNCED!"

The Gala has been shuffled around, plus the cast (previously TBA) for the Agon pas de trois is announced.  As far as I can see, the only dancer substitution is Luke Ingham for Ulrik Birkkjae in Etudes, which is really too bad:  this type of role isn't really Ingham's strong point, and Birkkjae would probably be stunning.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23 AT 8PM

Excerpt from Études

Choreography: Harald Lander
Music: Knudåge Lander after Carl Czerny

Sasha De Sola
Aaron Robison

Luke Ingham 

Pas de Deux from Handel—A Celebration

Music: George Frideric Handel

Mathilde Froustey
Tiit Helimets 

Pas de Trois from Agon

Music: Igor Stravinsky

WanTing Zhao
Ben Freemantle
Jennifer Stahl

Soirées Musicales 

Music: Benjamin Britten

Misa Kuranaga
Angelo Greco 

Pas de Deux from "Rubies"

Music: Igor Stravinsky

Ana Sophia Scheller
Vitor Luiz 

UnSaid

Choreography: Danielle Rowe
Music: Ezio Bosso
Natasha Feygina (piano) / Eric Sung (cello)

Sofiane Sylve
Aaron Robison 

Excerpt from Diving into the Lilacs

Choreography: Yuri Possokhov
Music: Boris Tchaikovsky

Yuan Yuan Tan
Carlo Di Lanno 

Excerpt from Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Choreography: Justin Peck
Music: M83

Elizabeth Powell
Luke Ingham
Gabriela Gonzalez
Ulrik Birkkjaer
Dores Andre
Joseph Walsh

21 minutes ago, PeggyR said:

The Gala has been shuffled around, plus the cast (previously TBA) for the Agon pas de trois is announced.  As far as I can see, the only dancer substitution is Luke Ingham for Ulrik Birkkjae in Etudes, which is really too bad:  this type of role isn't really Ingham's strong point, and Birkkjae would probably be stunning.

Yep. I've wondered if Birkkjaer was nursing an injury given that he didn't participate in The Nutcracker program (at all?), although he managed to appear in LA for Festival Ballet Theatre's Nutcracker, as I recall. Sofiane being paired with Robison should be memorable - I'm not sure if they've really danced together before. And Zhao and Stahl make an appearance so that's good.

2 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Where is Frances Chung? She is not scheduled for DQ and is missing from the gala cast. As far as I remember she was always part of the opening night gala. Hopefully she is not ill or injured.

Hopefully. She mentioned on Instagram - last summer, I think it was - that she was finally past a long period of "dancing in pain". But those long term injuries can always re-assert themselves.

It's always possible she decided to step aside so someone else could have a chance (like Wona Park), and she'll be dancing in upcoming programs. Finger's crossed.

Edited by pherank
4 minutes ago, pherank said:

Hopefully. She mentioned on Instagram - last summer, I think it was - that she was finally past a long period of "dancing in pain". But those long term injuries can always re-assert themselves.

It's always possible she decided to step aside so someone else could have a chance (like Wona Park), and she'll be dancing in upcoming programs. Finger's crossed.

Yes, fingers crossed. One of the pieces on Program 2 is Divertimento No.15; if I had to chose only one ballet to see this season it would be this one with Frances Chung.

32 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

Yes, fingers crossed. One of the pieces on Program 2 is Divertimento No.15; if I had to chose only one ballet to see this season it would be this one with Frances Chung.

Chung danced Divertimento in the 2018 NYC tour, I believe. I'm planning on seeing Program 2. Finger's crossed.  😉

Edited by pherank

This year opening night gala was a rather low key event, which I didn’t mind. The program was sweet and short. The audience was almost on time and respectful of the other attendees—no late comers, no leavers and no music enthusiasts humming along the tune. In The Etudes, Luke Ingham who replaced Ulrik Birkkjaer was replaced by Ulrik Birkkjaer. Present in the audience were Tamara Rojo, Isaac Hernandez, Frances Chung and Sarah Van Patten, who will be missing this season for a happy reason.

2 hours ago, Dreamer said:

This year opening night gala was a rather low key event, which I didn’t mind. The program was sweet and short. The audience was almost on time and respectful of the other attendees—no late comers, no leavers and no music enthusiasts humming along the tune. In The Etudes, Luke Ingham who replaced Ulrik Birkkjaer was replaced by Ulrik Birkkjaer. Present in the audience were Tamara Rojo, Isaac Hernandez, Frances Chung and Sarah Van Patten, who will be missing this season for a happy reason.

"Luke Ingham who replaced Ulrik Birkkjaer was replaced by Ulrik Birkkjaer"
LOL!

All pregnancies? (not Isaac, obviously)
Two female principals out at the same time is unfortunate. I wonder if that has something to do with Elizabeth Powell learning/rehearsing the Little Mermaid role. There's going to be a lot of substitutions then.

7 hours ago, pherank said:

All pregnancies? (not Isaac, obviously)
Two female principals out at the same time is unfortunate.

😆 Can’t say for sure about all of the ballerinas.  But Sarah most definitely. I was looking forward to her Mercedes, the Lilac Fair, Mermaid and one of the three female protagonists in Chamber Symphony of Schostakovich Trilogy.

Davit Karapetyan, another San Francisco Ballet alumnus, was in attendance as well. I did not see him but the San Francisco Chronicle posted his picture amongs other guests at the pre-performance dinner. 

Edited by Dreamer