This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter 2019

On 3/2/2019 at 6:36 PM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Sigh. Liebeslieder is like Halley's Ballet: it only comes around every seven seasons. This wouldn't be the first time that NYCB threw a bunch of new dancers at Liebeslieder for a single performance at the tail end of the season and then didn't bother to give them a chance to dance in it again until three years later (if then). The last time this happened I had the same happy thought you did, cobweb, but alas it wasn't to be.

I agree that today's performance was a uncharacteristically muted, which I chalked up to a mostly new cast. It looked as if they hadn't quite sorted out who they were, or at least, how to convey who they were. The vocal quartet and the two pianists were very, very good, however. 

Agreed on the pianists and the singers. They brought much poetry and drama. 

I only saw the Sat. one so couldn't compare. But a friend who saw both said she thought this "new" cast was the best. I thought Tiler was fantastic, Sarah quite good and all four men danced elegantly. 

On 3/7/2019 at 9:47 PM, BalanchineFan said:

At the Friday evening performance I was surprised that people applauded after each of the waltzes. Each half of the ballet is one opus. I would expect the house to hold their applause until the end, which the Saturday matinee audience did (for all of Part 1, and most of Part 2). The applause struck me as strange, since the dances are so intimate and soul-baring. It's not like the dancers are performing for an audience (like Aurora's Wedding or the divertissement in Nutcracker). It was as if you walked in on a cultured husband and wife arguing about emotional betrayal and people burst into applause when they finished.

It did appear that the Fourth Ring was empty, or nearly empty. Perhaps it was just SAB students watching from the nosebleed seats.

I think for Spring performances other than SB, the fourth ring was just closed for tickets. I remember looking to buy individual tickets but the fourth ring was faded out on the website, hence not for selection. I'm not sure if this was the best strategy. They must have felt the pull of certain ballets during this time of year wouldn't be large enough? But I for one would have bought a few more tickets if they had opened up the fourth ring, considering the pricing. 

On 3/2/2019 at 10:33 AM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

The Business Couple?!? I had to wipe away more than few tears every time I saw Wendy Whelan and Nikolai Hübbe dance that pas! No couple has packed more yearning and tenderness into those oh-so-simple but oh-so-glorious moments when the man gently lowers his partner to the floor and then even more gently lifts her into an arabesque while she slowly sweeps her foot forward along the floor. 

Since it's beyond description (like the last few moments of the glorious Midsummer Divertissement pas) here's some footage with Lauren Lovette and Jared Angle. The moments I'm trying but failing to describe start at about 23 second mark:

This same couple also get a few iconic moments in the first half when they dance to "Am Donaustrande." To me it always looks like they're recalling a lovely spring day when he pushed her in a swing. 

Thank you for this clip! The most intriguing sequence originally danced by McBride. I was looking for clips to share with friends but found most to be from the first half.