This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter 2019

7 minutes ago, DC Export said:

I hope they extend a redesign to Tschai Pas! 

Would you envision/prefer something quite different from the current designs, or just a freshening up? I've never thought of it as one that I'd want to see looking very different.

Edited by nanushka
3 hours ago, angelica said:

Does anyone know when casting will be online for Week 2 of the Winter season?

Pretty soon, I think. The day varies, but typically it's posted Wednesday or Thursday two weeks in advance, and usually I've noticed it gets posted late in the day, 5 or 6pm or even later. 

ETA: I'm eagerly waiting, too!

Edited by cobweb
1 hour ago, Leah said:

NYCB just streamed a live rehearsal of Agon as an Instagram story. Probably will only be available until tomorrow so check it out!

I caught a glimpse of Peter Walker in the first Pas de trois. To be honest I was really not impressed by his last outing in this part.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, abatt said:

I guess Adrian D-W is still injured.  I enjoyed his Apollo very much. 

Garcia apparently did Apollo back when he was at SFB.  I guess it's a stroke of luck for him that the male ranks are now so depleted at NYCB that in the twilight of his career he is again cast as Apollo.

I saw him a couple nights ago as the host of a talk/screening series on Robbins. No visible hindrance or extra care in his movement---he even danced some steps from NY Jazz Export on stage in his regular pants and boots.  I guess it wasn't healed in time for rehearsal. And he may still be going through PT now. though probably at a late stage. 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Pretty soon, I think. The day varies, but typically it's posted Wednesday or Thursday two weeks in advance, and usually I've noticed it gets posted late in the day, 5 or 6pm or even later. 

ETA: I'm eagerly waiting, too!

Thank you, cobweb. I assumed it would be yesterday, so I've wasted a lot of time looking for it!

6 hours ago, nanushka said:

Would you envision/prefer something quite different from the current designs, or just a freshening up? I've never thought of it as one that I'd want to see looking very different.

I think there is a way to freshen while still maintaining a tie to Karinska's original designs. My biggest beef is with the male lead's shirt, which I think looks like  an old-fashioned little boy's costume. Little Lord Fauntleroy style. That bow needs to go.

09VAILFEST_SPAN-superJumbo-v2.jpg?qualit

I think a more updated but romantic shirt is completely possible, see Kimin Kim's tailored bodice and flowy sleeves from the "Balanchine: the City Center Years" program last year. It maintains a similar collar style, but it's modern.

merlin_146166666_16f0607a-e3bf-43b8-9b30

34 minutes ago, DC Export said:

I think there is a way to freshen while still maintaining a tie to Karinska's original designs.

Gotcha, yes, so a freshening of the details but not a major change in design. I'd be very happy with that. I just wouldn't want to see the basic style of the ballerina's dress change, I don't think. Thanks for the pics and explanation.

48 minutes ago, DC Export said:

My biggest beef is with the male lead's shirt, which I think looks like  an old-fashioned little boy's costume. Little Lord Fauntleroy style. That bow needs to go.

Thank you for your thoughts and those photos, DC Export. I agree about the little bow and while I have great  hesitation about tampering with Karinska, a more sophisticated top for the man would be welcome. 

51 minutes ago, DC Export said:

I think there is a way to freshen while still maintaining a tie to Karinska's original designs. My biggest beef is with the male lead's shirt, which I think looks like  an old-fashioned little boy's costume. Little Lord Fauntleroy style. That bow needs to go.

OMG, yes. I have hated that shirt since forever. (OK, at first, in my earliest newbie days, I was mostly puzzled by it. "Why is that grown man dressed like Tsarevich Alexei?") I've assumed the costumes were a nod towards the kind of idealized peasant garb that's become so firmly embedded in productions of the 19th century classics that it's practically a uniform. I think that at some point (after Balanchine's death?) a sort of satiny peasant corset was added to the ballerina's bodice, which added to that impression. (Compare what today's NYCB ballerinas wear in the role to what McBride wears in the video with Baryshnikov.)

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell
2 hours ago, DC Export said:

My biggest beef is with the male lead's shirt, which I think looks like  an old-fashioned little boy's costume. Little Lord Fauntleroy style. That bow needs to go.

I always thought this was a throwback to the poet's shirt in Les Sylphides, although the bow in that is usually longer and less silly looking. 

SO excited to see Ashly Isaacs will be back, though she seems to be cast only in Times are Racing at this point.  Where was she?? 

Also, I totally agree about the weird bow on the man in Tschai Pas.

Saw the rehearsal today.  Looks like it was the cast with Gerrity and Wellington and I thought that was Erica Pereira but maybe it was Sara Adams?  Who were the men besides Harrison Coll, Peter Walker and Schumacher?  I saw Jansen in the background but he's in a different cast. Also in the studio from the other cast, Paszcoguin, Kretzschmar, and Reichlen.

Edited by nanran3
45 minutes ago, nanran3 said:

SO excited to see Ashly Isaacs will be back, though she seems to be cast only in Times are Racing at this point.  Where was she?? 

Also, I totally agree about the weird bow on the man in Tschai Pas.

Saw the rehearsal today.  Looks like it was the cast with Gerrity and Wellington and I thought that was Erica Pereira but maybe it was Sara Adams?  Who were the men besides Harrison Coll, Peter Walker and Schumacher?  I saw Jansen in the background but he's in a different cast. Also in the studio from the other cast, Paszcoguin, Kretzschmar, and Reichlen.

I thought Ashly Isaacs was injured. Glad she's back even if it's in tennis shoes.

1 hour ago, Leah said:

As per the Annual Luncheon invitation the Janice Levin honoree for 2019 is Kristen Segin.

Interesting. While I think Segin is a lovely dancer and always appears to be so happy on stage, I had thought the purpose of the Levin award was to acknowledge potential in junior members of the corps. Perhaps the purpose of the award is changing now to award longstanding corps members to boost morale?

46 minutes ago, Emma said:

Interesting. While I think Segin is a lovely dancer and always appears to be so happy on stage, I had thought the purpose of the Levin award was to acknowledge potential in junior members of the corps. Perhaps the purpose of the award is changing now to award longstanding corps members to boost morale?

You may be thinking of the Wein award, which is given out by SAB.

1 minute ago, DC Export said:

You may be thinking of the Wein award, which is given out by SAB.

No, the Levin. If you look into past winners and the year they won, it was typically awarded to young corps dancers. For example, Taylor Stanley and Lauren Lovette received the award after a year and two years respectively in the corps. Actually, it seems in the past few years it's changed.

I thought it was supposed to be for young corps as well but maybe that’s a mistaken impression. I don’t see it written anywhere and Claire Kretzschmar last year was already in the corps several years. Segin is a lovely sparkling dancer with a smile that would be the pride of any toothpaste commercial, but this honor surprises me. I would have thought Roman Mejia was the most likely candidate . Next year?

Thanks for posting the news Leah!

3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I found the end-note a little troubling. City Ballet in jeopardy of losing a major talent because of the lack of clarity on the artistic vision? Could be author commentary.... but what if it isn't?

I found the end-note a little troubling. City Ballet in jeopardy of losing a major talent because of the lack of clarity on the artistic vision? Could be author commentary.... but what if it isn't?

I just read the article.  It is a little disturbing to think that Taylor Stanley might eventually leave the company to seek artistic fulfillment elsewhere.  Frankly when they lost Ramasar, Stanley was my only consolation among the principal men.  Not happy with the Angle brothers... 

I didn't read it that way at all. I thought it was more a comment on ballet in general than anything specific about the NYCB. I feel a change in that direction might be a good move for him.