This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter 2019

1 hour ago, Leah said:

I’m thrilled to see Stanley do Apollo. Is this the first time a person of color has done the role at NYCB?

In 2011, Craig Hall performed Apollo at NYCB as part of a special Dancers' Choice program: https://www.dancemagazine.com/dancersaeur-tm-choice-day-of-democracy-2306864886.html. I believe this "counts" even though casting was selected outside of the normal process. 

I'm absolutely thrilled about Stanley as well!

Agree with everyone else re: Stanley in Apollo.  He will be mesmerizing.

Also glad to see Pazcoguin getting a role in Agon, but Miriam Miller in the principal part?  (Head scratch here). 

Also notice they're casting LeCrone more than Peter had done in the last few years.  

All in all really looking forward to getting back into the theater!!

I guess Adrian D-W is still injured.  I enjoyed his Apollo very much. 

Garcia apparently did Apollo back when he was at SFB.  I guess it's a stroke of luck for him that the male ranks are now so depleted at NYCB that in the twilight of his career he is again cast as Apollo.

3 minutes ago, abatt said:

I guess Adrian D-W is still injured.  I enjoyed his Apollo very much. 

Garcia apparently did Apollo back when he was at SFB.  I guess it's a stroke of luck for him that the male ranks are now so depleted at NYCB that in the twilight of his career he is again cast as Apollo.

It's too bad. I really enjoyed his Apollo, as well, and I remember him posting a photo of him in Apollo earlier this fall on Instagram, with a caption to the effect of it being motivation for the winter season (it was a story, I believe, so I can't locate it).

I'm curious about Garcia in the role. I've found him to be a let-down in roles requiring bravura technique and speed, so perhaps I'll enjoy him more in Apollo, which is of course very demanding, but in a different way than, say, Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux. I was also surprised to see La Cour is making a late-career debut in Serenade; I would have assumed he'd danced that role before. 

I can't wait to see Reichlen in Piano Concerto No. 2, but I can't say the same for LeCrone. The second ballerina is such a great role, and I'd love to see a dancer who approaches the ability of the lead. Maybe she'll be a surprise; no one can be as bad as Savannah Lowery opposite Sara Mearns. 

Echoing others, I'm very glad to Stanley is debuting in Apollo. Martins obviously had a very specific mold in mind when he cast Apollo, but it's been nice to see the interim team has been thinking outside the box a bit with type-casting (e.g., Claire Kretzschmar as the tall girl in Rubies, which I know everyone wasn't crazy about). 

12 hours ago, Josette said:

The casting at last! I'm in New York to see the performances on January 23 and 24, as well as the opera, Pelleas et Melisande, on the 22nd! 

:offtopic:I really, really like the Met's production of Pelleas et Melisande, although I don't think  it's universally beloved.  I hope you enjoy the show!

I last saw it on New Year's day in 2011; Simon Rattle was conducting and the great baritone Gerald Finely was Goloud. He stole the show, IMHO. That ticket was some of the best money I ever spent. 

21 minutes ago, California said:

Speaking of...Amar Ramasar will be a guest with BalletNext in February

http://www.balletnext.com/press-release-december-20-2018

I didn't see this.  He was one of my favorite dancers at NYCB and I was so sad to think that he would not be able to continue developing his amazing talent, at least somewhere.  Glad to see he has this opportunity, though compared to being in NYCB it's of course a step way down.  Not condoning what he did while at NYCB though.

Edited by nanran3

Per her instagram photos, Bouder has indicated that she will dance Aurora in SB, and her Desire will be Garcia.

If memory serves, wasn't Garcia partnered with Lovette during the last run of SB? 

I hope they give Huxley a shot at Desire this time around.

3 hours ago, abatt said:

Per her instagram photos, Bouder has indicated that she will dance Aurora in SB, and her Desire will be Garcia.

If memory serves, wasn't Garcia partnered with Lovette during the last run of SB? 

I hope they give Huxley a shot at Desire this time around.

My bet would be that Gordon and Huxley will be the ones to debut as Desire.

I'm rooting for Indiana Woodward as Aurora, but I think Pereira might get cast (with Huxley).

Edited by yukionna4869
1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Woodward yes, Pereira please no. Who are the men who have done Desire last time around? 

So agree. I will buy my ticket as soon as casting comes out. I'd see a Woodward debut in a second. I'm sure there are Pereira fans out there, but I'd avoid her if she was cast.

1 hour ago, yukionna4869 said:

The cast from the last run were Bouder/Veyette, Hyltin/Finlay, T. Peck/T. Angle, Fairchild/de Luz, and Lovette/Garcia. 

Thanks for the info yukionna. They're definitely going to need a few new men in the role. I agree with the suggestion above of Huxley and Gordon, and Harrison Ball also seems like an obvious choice.