This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter 2019

I got a promotional email from ABT yesterday which featured last year's Harlequinade trailer by Ezra Hurwitz. To me the City Ballet Sleeping Beauty trailer is a howl. Delightfully short, Aaron Sanz is wonderful, but when Maria Kowroski gets out of that Lincoln Navigator like a supermodel arriving for a runway show, it made me laugh out loud.  Her brush-off of the make-up person and then her response to the question were both perfectly done. I think she's hilarious. And there's the heart of the story - right there - what it's all about - in a couple of minutes. I think it's terrific.

That trailer is adorable!

I have tickets for both Balanchine programs on the 26th.  It’ll be my first time back in NYC since I moved to Baltimore last year, so I’m looking forward to it.  The evening Balanchine/Stravinsky program will be my first time viewing all of those ballets.   Will be so nice to have my ballet-loving soul restored by a whole day of Balanchine.

11 hours ago, Kaysta said:

That trailer is adorable!

I have tickets for both Balanchine programs on the 26th.  It’ll be my first time back in NYC since I moved to Baltimore last year, so I’m looking forward to it.  The evening Balanchine/Stravinsky program will be my first time viewing all of those ballets.   Will be so nice to have my ballet-loving soul restored by a whole day of Balanchine.

I can't wait for the season to begin.  I also have tix for the 26th, evening, plus the 24th, and that's just the first week!  It is soul restorative for sure!

On 1/8/2019 at 10:00 PM, nanran3 said:

Agree with everyone else re: Stanley in Apollo.  He will be mesmerizing.

Also glad to see Pazcoguin getting a role in Agon, but Miriam Miller in the principal part?  (Head scratch here). 

Also notice they're casting LeCrone more than Peter had done in the last few years.  

All in all really looking forward to getting back into the theater!!

Miriam Miller has danced the lead in Agon numerous times. She danced it last performance of the spring 2018 season. That and Titania put her on the map as an apprentice, I believe. (Or maybe it was only Titania that she danced as an apprentice).  What’s the head scratch?

On 1/9/2019 at 9:27 AM, DC Export said:

Anyone know which dancers correspond to parts in Orpheus?

I think this is the order, but someone please correct me if I’m mistaken:

Eurydice : Sterling Hyltin

Orpheus : Gonzalo Garcia

the Dark Angel : Peter Walker

leader of the Bacchantes/Furies : Unity Phelan

after looking at wikipedia, the Furies and the Bacchantes seem to have a different dancers leading them. I saw Orpheus on television in the 70's or 80's but I don't remember the ballet well. I do remember being shocked though. I'm not sure what roles the men dance who follow Phelan. Perhaps one of them is Apollo.

Edited by BalanchineFan
1 hour ago, BalanchineFan said:

Miriam Miller has danced the lead in Agon numerous times. She danced it last performance of the spring 2018 season. That and Titania put her on the map as an apprentice, I believe. (Or maybe it was only Titania that she danced as an apprentice).  What’s the head scratch?

I like to see that role danced by someone really solid with a commanding presence.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:29 AM, wonderwall said:

I wish Laracey would get a shot at Aurora, but I definitely think Woodward would be great.

I know Ashley Laracey has her fans, but she doesn't  project enough for me. She seems kind of small and pretty and bland.

Miriam Miller reminded me of a baby swan in Agon (not incredibly commanding as nanran3 said), but she held the pencheé (when the man falls to his back) so long it showed real guts and determination. I'm interested to see  how she develops. 

20 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Miriam Miller reminded me of a baby swan in Agon (not incredibly commanding as nanran3 said), but she held the pencheé (when the man falls to his back) so long it showed real guts and determination. I'm interested to see  how she develops. 

I love that penchee.  Okay, I'll keep my eye out for her... :)

8 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Wonderful news! The current costumes are so similar to the Tchai Pas and Allegro Brillante costumes, while the ballet seems to call for something grander. I assume with a bodice that ornate they must be going with tutus rather than chiffon skirts.  

I hope so. I love the colors, too.