March 28   Don Quixote   Natalia Osipova and Vladimir Shkylarov

March 29   The Sleeping Beauty     Lauren Cuthbertson and Xander Parish

March 30   Swan Lake      

March 31   Carmen Suite

Divertissement

Gentle memories  Jiri Bubenicek

Tarantella  George Balanchine

Méditation  Evgueni Kliavine

Pas de deux  Giselle  Marius Petipa after Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot

Pas de deux  Talisman  Marius Petipa

Adagio 2nd Act Swan Lake  Lev Ivanov

Tchaikovsky pas de deux  George Balanchine

Marguerite and Armand

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/festivals/fest2018_2019/ballet_fest_236

I've been checking daily but a friend got here first. Much thanks.

My favorite will probably be Olga Smirnova as Giselle. I believe that this will be a first for her.  

[Correction: Apparently Olga Smirnova debuted her Giselle at the Bolshoi in 2017]

Edited by Buddy

Honestly, I am disappointed with this year's Festival.  And yes, Olga Smirnova has danced Giselle at Bolshoi already and, although I never thought this would be the role for her, she was wonderful, especially in her ethereal act 2.   She is definitely worth seeing in Giselle - but   I honestly cannot say the same for her partner, Kimin Kim  This is an extremely stronge pairing to me.  

14 minutes ago, MadameP said:

And yes, Olga Smirnova has danced Giselle at Bolshoi already and, although I never thought this would be the role for her, she was wonderful, especially in her ethereal act 2.   She is definitely worth seeing in Giselle.

Very glad to hear this, MadameP.

Now all I need is for my 'beloved' Alyona to appear.  😊

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MadameP said:

Olga Smirnova has danced Giselle at Bolshoi already and, although I never thought this would be the role for her, ...  

… and it isn't. Smirnova's Giselle didn't convince me at all, taking acting classes is not enough, she is simply not credible in the parts of naïve, vulnerable, pure heroines. I would like to see her in the roles of powerful women, like Lady Macbeth, eliminating all her rivals in a premeditated manner.

What is wrong with Kim? I saw him several times this year, sometimes from the closest possible distance, he is an exceptional artist.

Edited by Laurent
spelling

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

I would like to see her in the roles powerful women, like Lady Makbet, eliminating all her rivals in a premeditated manner.

LOL

Posted (edited)

I also look forward to seeing Maria Alexandrova in Legend of Love. It’s a very interpretive role in which she could excel. She does have range. As I’ve mentioned before, I saw her perform a Raymonda with the Paris Opera Ballet about ten years ago in which she was absolutely lovely and compelling. Vladislav Lantratov is of coarse a phenomenon of the highest order.

If Natalia Osipova can get near to the ceiling like she did almost twelve years ago it’ll be a sight to see. She still has plenty of spring and her delightful and growing expressiveness make her Kitri in Don Quixote one of the finest ever. Vladimir Shkylarov continues to grow in power of portrayal, which might not be totally necessary in this work. His main problem, as with Kimin Kim, is not to get caught in the rafters.

The Royal Ballet’s Lauren Cuthbertson was rushed in at the last minute to do the opening of several of Sir Frederick Ashton’s Sylvias in November. She apparently made a very good impression. To be offered The Sleeping Beauty at a Festival is quite a compliment. Xander Parish should be an excellent partner.

And once again, Olga Smirnova…..and Kimin Kim !  I love her [LOL - Lots Of Love] and he should be great.

Edited by Buddy
word added

I heard  that Kimin Kim gave a beautiful, moving performance as Albrecht in Vienna, Austria, in September, 2018, under the direction of Manuel Legris.   It will be interesting to see how this Smirnova-Kim partnership works out.

19 hours ago, Laurent said:

… and it isn't. Smirnova's Giselle didn't convince me at all, taking acting classes is not enough, she is simply not credible in the parts of naïve, vulnerable, pure heroines. I would like to see her in the roles of powerful women, like Lady Macbeth, eliminating all her rivals in a premeditated manner.

What is wrong with Kim? I saw him several times this year, sometimes from the closest possible distance, he is an exceptional artist.

LOL!  Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.  I thought her Giselle was entirely convincing and well acted and I find Kim extremely UNconvincing in the role of Albrecht.

Posted (edited)

Seats are now on sale. It's fairly easy to do. There are lots of seats available and there's usually no big hurry necessary. This is the best official way I know of to get seats at the best (ticket office) prices.Click on the "Buy Ticket" boxes. Because the Ruble is down in value these are the best price that I've seen in 15 years. I just got mine. Also March is not a busy tourist month so hotel prices, etc. can be very reasonable.

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/festivals/fest2018_2019/ballet_fest_236

Seats are still not available for Jewels. I've read that these were made part of the subscription package before the Festival was planned. Further sales for this night were stopped quite awhile ago, so I would guess that there will soon be more seats available. Also the final Gala evening seats are not yet for sale.

Added: I think that Kimin Kim has great theatrical potential. Inspired by being alongside Olga Smirnova, whom I feel is perhaps the finest at this ever on a ballet stage, he could really rise to the occasion.  

Edited by Buddy
"Added" added

Sign in to follow this