This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Raven Wilkinson

17 hours ago, pherank said:

My introduction to Wilkinson was actually the great 2005 Ballets Russes documentary (which is also available on iTunes and Amazon Prime). I was impressed that the film devoted some time to discussing Wilkinson's trials and tribulations in the ballet world, especially when touring southern states during the Jim Crow era.

I just looked this up on Amazon Prime and it's not available. I can add it to my watchlist but it's not avail for free viewing.... :(

Edited by ABT Fan
45 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I just looked this up on Amazon Prime and it's not available. I can add it to my watchlist but it's not avail for free viewing.... :(

Hmmm ... It shows up when I log into my Prime account. I'm watching on my computer rather than on my TV — maybe that makes a difference? (It pops up on my iPad in the Prime Video app as well.)

7 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Hmmm ... It shows up when I log into my Prime account. I'm watching on my computer rather than on my TV — maybe that makes a difference? (It pops up on my iPad in the Prime Video app as well.)

I'm logged into the app (works the same as on a computer or TV, I believe). It says it's only avail to watch with a Fandor subscription on Amazon. Oh well. I'll keep it on my watchlist in case it becomes available for me.

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Very strange! I just tried my Amazon Prime again and it's free. I only watch on a laptop or tablet, not a TV, if that's what makes the difference.

4 hours ago, California said:

Very strange! I just tried my Amazon Prime again and it's free. I only watch on a laptop or tablet, not a TV, if that's what makes the difference.

My TV says that I can "Watch with Fandor - Start your 7-day free trial" [$3.99/month after trial], but there's no truly free option.

Anyway, if there's anyone in the ballet universe who hasn't seen Ballet Russes by now, they have to see it.  😉

Edited by pherank
3 minutes ago, pherank said:

My TV says that I can "Watch with Fandor - Start your 7-day free trial" [$3.99/month after trial], but there's no truly free option.

Anyway, if there's anyone in the ballet universe who hasn't seen Ballet Russes by now, they have to see it.  😉

I get the same message for Fandor for Ballet Russes.

Black Ballerina is free on Amazon Prime.

Wilkinson is in both of them. 

On 12/19/2018 at 7:49 AM, California said:

This seems like a good time to remind everybody: Raven Wilkinson is included in a wonderful documentary called Black Ballerinas. It's available for free viewing on Amazon Prime and I would recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Ballerina-Joan-Myers-Brown/dp/B07HF7KSTC/

Bless you for the heads up about this documentary. Seeing all those  pioneering black ballerinas is inspiring.  Too bad that many of the gatekeepers of the art form in America will never see it. 

14 hours ago, Tapfan said:

Bless you for the heads up about this documentary. Seeing all those  pioneering black ballerinas is inspiring.  Too bad that many of the gatekeepers of the art form in America will never see it. 

I'm not sure why they wouldn't (?) It's been broadcast on PBS in my vicinity several times, for one thing.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:36 AM, Tapfan said:

Thank you. I will check this out. RIP to an artist and pioneer. 

On 12/23/2018 at 1:51 PM, dirac said:

I'm not sure why they wouldn't (?) It's been broadcast on PBS in my vicinity several times, for one thing.

Because possessing a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of American ballet history, is unfortunately, not a priority for far too many of American ballet's  AD's, administrators, fundraisers, educators and tastemakers. 

In interviews, too many of them show a shocking level of artistic and historical myopia. 

Edited by Tapfan