fondoffouettes

Gillian Murphy is Pregnant

From the company:

GILLIAN MURPHY TO TAKE MATERNITY LEAVE

American Ballet Theatre Principal Dancer Gillian Murphy has announced her maternity leave. She and her husband, former ABT Principal Dancer Ethan Stiefel, are expecting their first child in June 2019.

Ms. Murphy, who joined American Ballet Theatre in 1996, will not perform on the Company’s National Tour or during the 2019 Metropolitan Opera House season, but plans to return to the Company in the Fall.

1. Congratulations to Gillian and Ethan! What happy news! 😍

2. NO!!! I was planning on seeing her O/O for the first time this spring! 😩

Edited by mille-feuille

3 minutes ago, abatt said:

Hmm.  Who will get  her roles this spring? 

My money's on Teuscher. Hoping for some increased Shevchenko and Brandt as well though!

29 minutes ago, mille-feuille said:

1. Congratulations to Gillian and Ethan! What happy news! 😍

2. NO!!! I was planning on seeing her O/O for the first time this spring! 😩

I feel exactly the same, as I was also planning to see her in Swan Lake for the first time! Though I suppose I should know better by now than to expect casting not to change. But I am happy to lose the chance to see her dance O/O for a reason like this, instead of (for example) an injury.

She was scheduled to dance O/O with Hallberg... and so I kind of expect either Boylston or Seo to take her place, since those are the two principals Hallberg seems to be paired with most often. Shevchenko would be my preference though—fingers crossed!

Very bizarre casting change... Teuscher and Ball are now dancing on the Friday night that Hallberg and Murphy were scheduled for... now Hallberg is dancing with Copeland on Saturday 6/29.

3 minutes ago, JuliaJ said:

Very bizarre casting change... Teuscher and Ball are now dancing on the Friday night that Hallberg and Murphy were scheduled for... now Hallberg is dancing with Copeland on Saturday 6/29.

Hallberg with Copeland????

And Copeland is getting both of Murphy's Manon's (19th and 22nd).  I think that will be a debut in the lead, no?

25 minutes ago, Dancerboy90210 said:

I was hoping stella would get the Manon performances. I’ll take a hard pass on Copeland in Manon. 

Ditto.

Congrats to Gillian and Ethan. Sad that I won't be able to watch Murphy perform next year, but I'm very glad that it's for that reason.

I was concerned when she was replaced in Nutcracker and worried that injury was the issue. I'm so happy it's not the case.

Also, so glad I made it to her Don Q performance this past MET season.

Wonderful news for this special couple who have given so much joy to their ballet fans. They have always been my favorites and now their lives will be even more enriched. 

On 12/14/2018 at 1:35 PM, abatt said:

Hmm.  Who will get  her roles this spring? 

Jesus ..my ballet traveling incentives keep shrinking, ABT wise. .😶