Buddy

Mariinsky 2018-2019 Season

Oxana Skorik has returned from maternity leave and yesterday performed the third couple, with Andrei Yermakov, from Jerome Robbins’ In The Night. There’s a video clip of part of this.

Needless to say she’s entered a new crossroads in her life. Already, and not surprisingly, she shows an added warmth and maturity. I would wish her as much happiness and success as possible.

Posted (edited)

Towards the beginning of the video clip, Andrei Yermakov cradles her in a circling lift. She looks like a child herself being embraced. It’s possibly the loveliest moment of the dance and seems touchingly appropriate. In the Night, with its focus on couples in love and very beautiful music, is a fine choice for her return.

Next Wednesday she’s scheduled to perform Swan Lake.

Added thought:

I think that we’re seeing a new person here. It will hopefully be a beautiful experience for herself and for everyone who follows her exceptional artistry.

Edited by Buddy

Olga Smirnova will be performing 'Carmen' on the 26th, which will be exciting, seeing as she pulled out of 'Giselle' during the festival. 

Due to injury, the Sklyarov Gala has been postponed and 'Swan Lake' will be performed instead. 

Two nice video glimpses.

One is Viktoria Tereshkina recently dancing Carmen Suite. Perhaps the most worthwhile parts to this work are the opening Habanera solo and the dance with the toreador. They are rich in dramatic artistry. She continues to show a very fine development and maturity in characterisation and expression Both her facial and physical expression are quite noteworthy. Her Carmen is very well modulated and convincing. The required dramatic temperament fits her very well. She uses it with a fine subtlety and sympathetically embracing aura.

At her side, Alexander Sergeev, in such works as this and Don Quixote, continues to hone his ’Latin’ temperament. His is always a highly likeable and accomplished presence.

And speaking of….Video Two is his wife, retired Mariinsky Principal, Daria Pavlenko, dancing The Swan (Fokine). This seems to be a non-Mariinsky Gala performance. She’s a loveable and wonderfully talented ballerina. It’s always a pleasure to see her.

Posted (edited)

I’ve continued to watch the brief video clip of Viktoria Tereshkina’s recent Carmen with fascination -- the Habanera solo and the dance with the toreador.  Is this really her ?!

Remarkably performed — And darn ‘sensual.’

I wrote: “Both her facial and physical expression are quite noteworthy.” — or said somewhat differently — A good example of why men have been chasing after women for how many millions of years.

Edited by Buddy