Buddy

Mariinsky 2018-2019 Season

More video watching of recent performance excerpts and Alina Somova looks as lovely, in some ways lovelier, than ever. Here she is in Le Corsaire.

I’ve long felt that she’s one of the basically most graceful and beautiful of all ballerinas. In this group I’d include Oksana Skorik and the very young Alyona Kovalyova. At the beginning of her career when she was getting more attention for huge extensions and athleticism she also had a noticeable ‘gazelle-like’, airy loveliness that was very apparent in her jumps, etc.

As she matures with two children this beauty is even more noticeable. She seems to appear more selectively, maybe because of her children, and I tend to forget about her. Yet, at this year’s Festival she danced at the Gala, along with Oksana Skorik, and was equally beautiful.

In the Le Corsaire views, she again shows an airy wonderfulness in all her motion. I’ll add in the ‘prowess department’ that she did as clean and impressive a set of fouette turns (including about six doubles) as I’ve seen. I don’t usually pay a great deal of attention to these, dreamlike gracefulness being my primary interest, but these did capture my attention.

She’s also capable of very compelling drama and characterization.

I hope that we’ll be able to see a lot more of her as her focus and basic loveliness continue to grow.

Edited by Buddy
spelling and brief addition and minor correction

At the Mariinsky Ballet press conference in Tokyo 2 weeks before, Alina Somova said she decided not to tour overseas after having 2 children (it was 9 years since her last visit here), but as there were withdrawals of several dancers, cast changes happened and she managed to come. I could not see her in a full performance but her performance in Chopiniana was lovely, she seemed to matured a lot. I hope she would be on tour again as well as dancing in St.P 

(She danced in Swan Lake in Hyogo, which is the west part of Japan so I could not see her) 

15 hours ago, naomikage said:

At the Mariinsky Ballet press conference in Tokyo 2 weeks before, Alina Somova said she decided not to tour overseas after having 2 children (it was 9 years since her last visit here), but as there were withdrawals of several dancers, cast changes happened and she managed to come. I could not see her in a full performance but her performance in Chopiniana was lovely, she seemed to matured a lot. I hope she would be on tour again as well as dancing in St.P 

(She danced in Swan Lake in Hyogo, which is the west part of Japan so I could not see her) 

Thanks, Naomikage, for this added information. I’m glad that you enjoyed her. One quality that I forgot to mention is her beautiful long lines.

And yet another ‘veteran’ surfaces on video excerpt as lovely as ever. This would be Viktoria Tereshkina who performed Giselle yesterday.

I mentioned awhile ago that we could be witnessing a new Viktoria Tereshkina. I forget the exact performance. What accounts for this ?

Facially — she has a new relaxed loveliness and serenity. There is also an acuity, a heightened interest and rightness*, in her facial expression.

I’ve never seen her perform Giselle. It would have taken me some slight effort to visualize it. Giselle, for me, is about delicacy and airiness. Viktoria Tereshkina, as lovable as she is (apparently offstage as well), is more technically noteworthy.

But now something new has been added and it’s very commendable. It shows in her Giselle. As Alina Somova’s loveliness grows with her maturity so does Viktoria Tereshkina’s.

* and sublimeness

Edited by Buddy
* footnote added

It’s a Mariinsky world ?

Except that three-quarters of it is at the Bolshoi.

Some quick musings, ballerinawise.

It seems that my preference for ballerinas is for the tall, linear ones. At least they look tall. Why the preference? There’s just something special about the way that their wonderful beauty projects even further-out into space.

Oxana Skorik — Possibly the most beautiful ballerina in the world in terms of pure motion and statuesque fineness. She’s the one that stayed at the Mariinsky.

Olga Smirnova — At times, she’s perhaps the greatest today. At times, the name Anna Pavlova comes to mind. She also experiments. She’s already, probably, one of the greatest ballerinas ever. And it’s still not inconceivable that she’ll be one of the top two or three greatest ever, in the company of Anna Pavlova and Galina Ulanova.   

Alyona Kovalyova — At her very young age, on course to being, along with Oxana Skorik, the most beautifully moving ballerina in the world.

Svetlana Zakharova — Still Queen of the Bolshoi. I sort of consider her, at least in part,  a Mariinsky ballerina. It’s where her career started and where she probably would have stayed if events had been different.

The Bolshoi may possess the most stars, but the Mariinsky may have produced them and continues to be the overall home for graceful wonder. Beyond this, the Bolshoi is certainly equal in its own way, but perhaps because of this, I prize both companies equally.

Edited by Buddy
spelling correction

I’d like to continue this somewhat longer. It’s slightly complicated finding the right place to discuss this because it crosses company lines and concerns more than one ballerina. Since three of them are at the Bolshoi maybe that’s the better place, but I started here. The reason is that these four star ballerinas all have Vaganova and or Mariinsky roots and Vaganova/Mariinsky style is essential in all of them. 

The two that are primary for me at the moment are Oxana Skorik and Olga Smirnova. I think that Olga Smirnova may be considered as the greater because of her range. She has Vaganova fineness. She also has her own ‘genius.’ She has a power of expression that may be developing more because the Bolshoi emphasizes it, but it’s also something totally her own. She also has a stage presence that’s extremely captivating. I don’t think that videos have been able to show what I’ve seen her do so remarkably well on stage. One other element is less predictable. It’s her experimentation. It will certain increase her range and interest. If this all comes together in a sort of super-package then she could become one of the two or three greatest ever.

I’ve mentioned this other contrast. Although Olga Smirnova may be considered the greater because of her range, Oxana Skorik could be the most basically beautiful. I’ve not seen a more beautifully moving ballerina on today’s stage. Which is better or should and will be valued more — probably it’s a personal preference.

Alyona Kovalyova is rather amazing for her very young age. She also could be one of the most basically beautiful ballerinas ever. She may also develop an exceptional presence and sense of expression. For the moment I’m very happy just to enjoy her youthfulness. Her beauty of dance recently took a large step forward that shows in her Raymonda debut. There’s now an unbroken flow. In addition, her phrasing, which is very noteworthy, has now become a much more subtle yet even more compelling element.

Little more can be said about Svetlana Zakharova. She’s proven her brilliance over the years, grows in refinement and continues to captivate her audiences.

We don't seem to have a thread on this year's Mariinsky Festival yet, so I'm just going to put this announcement here. Pretty much anywhere I put it will be a little incongruous.

Page Six is reporting that a Mick Jagger "curated" work choreographed by Melanie Hamrick to music of the Rolling Stones will have its premier "in March at the Mariinsky Theatre’s ballet festival in St. Petersburg, Russia." Not clear that it will be danced by Mariinsky Dancers. Hamrick is taking a leave from ABT to make this happen and after premiering in Petersburg (assuming that actually happens) the ballet will be danced at the Youth America Grand Prix Gala in New York:

https://pagesix.com/2018/12/26/mick-jagger-curating-ballet-set-to-rolling-stones-music/

3 hours ago, Drew said:

We don't seem to have a thread on this year's Mariinsky Festival yet, so I'm just going to put this announcement here. Pretty much anywhere I put it will be a little incongruous.

Page Six is reporting that a Mick Jagger "curated" work choreographed by Melanie Hamrick to music of the Rolling Stones will have its premier "in March at the Mariinsky Theatre’s ballet festival in St. Petersburg, Russia." Not clear that it will be danced by Mariinsky Dancers. Hamrick is taking a leave from ABT to make this happen and after premiering in Petersburg (assuming that actually happens) the ballet will be danced at the Youth America Grand Prix Gala in New York:

https://pagesix.com/2018/12/26/mick-jagger-curating-ballet-set-to-rolling-stones-music/

Thanks for this information, Drew. The Mariinsky has not posted anything about the Festival, but the normal time slot from March 17 to April 4 is 'unbooked' so I'm hopeful that the Festival will occur at this time. If so, I hope to be there. It'll be my 15th in a row and I  would greatly look forward to it, as usual. I'll try to start a topic if it's announced  if someone else hasn't already done so.

It makes most sense as part of the young choreographers evening--I should have realized that must be the context.

I like that picture of Hamrick at the piano. Also the fact that her Instagram avoids the horrible new use (and over-use)  of "curate" to describe Jagger's contribution.

Edited by Drew

11 hours ago, Drew said:

Thank you for the information.

I guess the festival will be March 21-31. The only ballet performance in this week is Jewels which is marked “No Tickets” now.

Looking forward to what Mariinsky will present in this festival and who the guests will be.