dirac

Thursday, December 6

The best in 2018 dance chosen by Emma Byrne for The Evening Standard.

English National Ballet’s The Sleeping Beauty

Alina Cojocaru stole the show in the English National Ballet’s fairytale. The story remains one of classical ballet’s cornerstones and “ENB’s The Sleeping Beauty makes it look easy”. Kept as close as possible to choreographer Petipa’s original vision, this was “all airiness and light”.

A TV news item previewing Milwaukee Ballet's Nutcracker.

The Milwaukee Ballet brings back a Christmas tradition with "The Nutcracker" at the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts. The ballet is joined by the Milwaukee Ballet Orchestra and Milwaukee Children's Choir.

A preview of the Laurel Ballet's Nutcracker.

In Greensburg, “The Nutcracker” is a traditional yuletide collaboration between Laurel Ballet and the Westmoreland Symphony Orchestra.

This year is extra special, because it’s the 25th anniversary of that happy marriage.

Domestic abuse charges against a former dancer with the Milwaukee Ballet are dismissed.

Hovhannisyan faced a couple of misdemeanor charges for an alleged incident that happened on Nov. 18. The charges included misdemeanor battery and disorderly conduct.

Anastacia Holden comes out of retirement to appear in Colorado Dance Theater's Nutcracker.

In a phone interview from Chicago this week, Holden said she has done “three or four” guest artist appearances since her Joffrey retirement, and she is scheduled to perform the Sugar Plum Fairy role in the CDT production at the Union Colony Civic Center, Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon.

An interview with Carlos Acosta.

Pedro famously propelled his son towards ballet. “My father imposed this artform on me. I wanted to be the next Michael Jackson, but he clearly saw some other talent for dance”. It is often written that young Carlos was rebellious, but he is quick to deny it: “I wasn’t a rebel. I was just a kid that didn’t want to do ballet. I had other aspirations for my life and I was put onto a path that I hated at the beginning”. This distinction is clearly important, as he explains: “Even when I was reluctant to do ballet, I was always respectful to my teachers, which is not what you expect from a rebel! Today, I see dancers walking out of class without saying sorry or asking permission to leave. I teach my dancers old-fashioned morals because I think respect is essential”.

A review of the Royal Ballet's Nutcracker by Jann Parry for DanceTabs.

The heroine, Clara, used to be danced at one stage in the past by a youngster – memorably, by Sarah Wildor, while still a White Lodge pupil. Now the role is given to a company soloist or even principal, who can accomplish demanding choreography on pointe. Anna Rose O’Sullivan, the opening night Clara, dances charmingly but looks too mature in Act I to be surrounded by wee girls clutching their dollies. Why have her parents not invited other teenage girls to the family’s Christmas party? Why is there only one boy her age (Luca Acri) to dance with her? Without a back-story, he leaves the party wistfully at the end all on his own, in the snow.

A review of the Royal's Nutcracker by Joy Sable for The Jewish Chronicle.

Gary Avis has made the role of Drosselmeyer his own. All his tricks in the Act I party scene are pulled off with aplomb, and he twirls his magnificent turquoise cape and dispenses magic glitter around the stage with relish.