dirac

Friday, December 7

Lafayette Ballet Theatre presents its Nutcracker.

A full-length, classical ballet in two acts, “The Nutcracker” features LBT’s professional company dancers, principal guest artists from the Pacific Northwest Ballet of Seattle and 160 children who are studying ballet at local academies.  Fontenot used to be one of those young dancers during her 15 years in ballet.

American Repertory Ballet presents its Nutcracker.

Executive Director Julie Diana Hench says, "ARB's Nutcracker is a timeless family tradition and a wonderful way to celebrate the magic of the holiday season. It's a great way to introduce people of all ages to professional ballet, and a treat for our dances, as they know that it brings such joy to audiences year after year."  

Justin Peck writes in The New York Times Sunday magazine.

I began the process by devising simple, one-paragraph scenarios for each actor. Ethan Hawke’s short, “Table Manners,” is inspired by the anxiety of selecting the right fork at a fancy dinner. Eager to dive into his meal, his character keeps looking down at his plate to find that the silverware seems to be spontaneously multiplying until the entire table is covered with forks, knives and spoons. His anxiety builds to a breaking point that finally sets him off into a wild, toreadorlike dance, whipping up the tablecloth and sending the flatware and food flying.

TV news item on Mobile Ballet's Nutcracker.

Today, John Nodar welcomes Robert Adams from the Mobile Ballet's Board of Directors and Katia Garza, Artistic Director of the Mobile Ballet.

An interview with Natalia Osipova.

“It’s natural for me,” she says, speaking via a translator while perched on an old mattress amid scattered props at the side of the studio. She’s bashful about her English but sometimes breaks out into animated phrases. “I’ve always admired contemporary dance, maybe even more than classical dance, and contemporary dancers seem more natural to me, they look more like human beings – like real life. In classical ballet there are certain rules. I can’t be an ordinary contemporary woman, I can [only] be a princess – pointe shoes, pointe shoes. It’s a little bit…” She pulls a wry expression.

The New York City Ballet will return to Saratoga next year for seven performances.

“While we plan to share our full schedule in the New Year, we are eager to announce a few programmatic highlights to give our audiences a taste of the 2019 season,” said Elizabeth Sobol, president and CEO of SPAC, in a press release.