This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Last night I was taken to the most extraordinary concert performance of a hologram of Maris Callas backed by a live orchestra.  Has this been done elsewhere?

It was actually more enjoyable than it sounds, though Maria herself still remained slightly two dimensional  from where I was sitting, but was convincing enough to have her aficionados responding with floods of applause.  A new experience and great fun.

Yes, this is being done all over — more info is here.

I can imagine it being an engaging experience, but I wonder if I'd feel I'd had enough after a couple arias. I suppose a lot would depend on the crowd, the vividness of the sound (especially for opera, which is all about no amplification), etc.

I definitely don't think it would creep me out or anything—just another step up from video, really.

It seems to me that videos and other footage made of the live performer during that person's life are in a  different category from digital exhumations of that performer.  I'm not sure I'd ever be tempted to try it, myself, but  plainly there's a market for it, and if people get something from it then I'm happy for them.

Thank you for starting the topic, Mashinka, and telling us your impressions.