This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I am wondering how much longer we can enjoy DVDs and CDs as streaming takes over and new technology replaces old.  Recently a major UK store announced it would stop selling DVD players and the newest models of cars no longer have CD players.

Now, I have only come across one music lover prepared to ditch his CD collection and know opera buffs with thousands of complete operas on CD, the time it would take to download would be considerable.  I'm one of those people that like to pull a book, CD,  DVD off a shelf.  Am I a dinosaur?

16 minutes ago, Mashinka said:

I am wondering how much longer we can enjoy DVDs and CDs as streaming takes over and new technology replaces old.  Recently a major UK store announced it would stop selling DVD players and the newest models of cars no longer have CD players.

Now, I have only come across one music lover prepared to ditch his CD collection and know opera buffs with thousands of complete operas on CD, the time it would take to download would be considerable.  I'm one of those people that like to pull a book, CD,  DVD off a shelf.  Am I a dinosaur?

I wonder about this, too, but now it seems vinyl records are making a comeback - now that I have long since given all my old records and stereo players to Good Will. I still have a TV hooked to a working VHS player, as some of my most precious VHS tapes were never released on DVD. But this is a continuing issue -- remember cassette music tapes? Beta videotapes? Video disks? Super 8 movies? Floppies for your PC? For better or worse, there are always tech shops (for a price!) that will happily convert your old generation stuff to a new generation. Planned obsolescence...

On 11/17/2018 at 8:43 AM, Mashinka said:

...  Am I a dinosaur?

Yes, but not in the way you may think.  You're another person with taste - evolving or not, as may be - and so you and the people you know keep the old media around because you value what it stores.  You think independently of conforming to the principle that what's new is good or desirable because it's new.  (And we're dying out, like the dinosaurs did.)

I feel like a dinosaur too!  And I'm a GenXer!  I wandered into the electronics section of our local emporium to find a new CD player for my mother.  Trying to find one amongst all of the "Smart Home" technology, I thought "I don't want a smart home".  I am fine with turning on and off my stereo, unwinding the blinds, and flicking off the lights,.  Nor do I want to be cut off from the ability to operate them if my wifi fails (which it is prone to do at the occasional inopportune times). 

And I don't like that the Russian hackers have been happily hacking into smart phones, smart homes, smart security cameras, and various electrical control systems like crazy.   When the apocalypse comes, I don't want it to record my house, thank you very much.  

I like my CD collection (though I might ditch my CD cases for a portfolio finally).  I have a smart phone, but I mainly use it for the phone function, texting, facebook, and googling.  Outside of the apps that arrived with my phone, I think I downloaded about 5 free ones at the phone store  when I first got the phone, none since.  I've never purchased an app, or bought music from Apple, I'm weirded out that Siri is listening for me to call upon her at all times.   I'm not sure what my password is anymore to do that.  I like buying things in person.   Will I be able to function in the world in ten more years?  Or will there be a turning away from all the "apps" as we try to reconnect as humans?  I don't know.  But I  have hit my limit on technology.  I resent that I have to give companies my email, set up a password, and be forced on a list, just to pay a compliment for good service.  I've had store managers tell me they are judged on matrix by how many people are willing to give feed back to the website on the receipt, rather than a written thank you card.  They have pleaded with me to do it online, so it "counts". 

Sorry for the rant, one thing I do know:  that I'd rather spend my money on extra tickets to see ballets, and other forms of human-made art.  

Edited by Jayne