Jump to content
pherank

SFB Fall 2018/Winter 2019 Miscellaneous

Recommended Posts

Current situation - many of the dancers wearing masks due to the bad air quality from the Butte County "Camp" fire:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqMOailjACM/
43201382_320984118631778_133198131173214


Sasha De Sola announces bilingual children's book inspired by her life:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLltCLnvD4/

Angelo Greco and Sasha De Sola for NYC Dance Project:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqNxTG3lnMa/

Group photo from the NYC City Center tour:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpuJUpxBfKM/

Chairman's Council Dinner photos - Anna Sophia Scheller, Vladislav Kozlov, Angelo Greco, Yuan Yuan Tan, and major sponsor Yurie Pascarella:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqKwpTyg8Uz/

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Mathilde Froustey has a been nominated for an Izzie for her portrayal of Aurora in Sleeping Beauty (“Outstanding Achievement in Performance”) . Here's 3 nice production photos:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsMQCQJl2ui/

SFB was nominated for "Outstanding Achievement in Performance - Company" for the Unbound Festival, and a "Special Achievement Award" for Unbound Festival

http://www.izzies-sf.org/

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post

Nice to see the recognition especially for the Unbound Festival which was so much a company achievement....Do the Izzies ever livestream their ceremony?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Drew said:

Nice to see the recognition especially for the Unbound Festival which was so much a company achievement....Do the Izzies ever livestream their ceremony?

I don't think it has happened yet, but that's a good suggestion. Izzie Awards take note!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Sasha De Sola was one of the guest performers at YAGP:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsWG1R6HMTL/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsJkss5gjsI/

Justin Peck was apparently married (publicly) on the beach in Miami, to Patricia Delgado, and a number of SFB dancers were there (Walsh and Strongin, Frances Chung and ?)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsWIO3Bgamb/

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post

Today was the first time I've gone to the SFB website and received this message:

"This page will refresh automatically in 30 seconds
To ensure the best experience possible, you have been placed in a virtual waiting room to assist with traffic flow to our website.
Please don’t leave this page; your status in the queue will automatically be updated.
Once you reach the front of the queue you will automatically move forward to complete your purchase.
Thank you for your patience."

Can there really be that many people visiting the website? Or has the audience finally discovered all the video and audio files?


SFB recently posted an impressive-looking video of 4 minutes of Marston's Snowblind - all dance and mime.
https://sfballet.blog/2019/01/15/dance-film-snowblind/

There's also a short piece with Mathilde Froustey on Don Quixote's Kitri solo:
https://sfballet.blog/2019/01/14/talking-dance-mathilde-froustey-on-don-quixote/

There's also a general Don Q page with short videos of Frances Chung as Kitri and the Corp dancing "The Dream":
https://sfballet.blog/2018/12/29/the-story-of-don-quixote/

And a To-the-Pointe podcast on Don Q:
"Join Jennie Scholick, PhD for a deep dive into Don Quixote, appearing at San Francisco Ballet in January 2019. Learn about this iconic ballet’s history, story, and what to look for."
https://sfballet.blog/2018/12/27/to-the-pointe-don-quixote/


And, they've posted the hour long podcast interview with Tomasson, Patricia McBride and Jean-Pierre Frohlich (with a photo from the session - I just wish there was a video version to post):

"In this special episode moderated by Ellen Sorrin, Director of the Balanchine Trust, San Francisco Ballet Artistic Director and Principal Choreographer Helgi Tomasson is joined by Patricia McBride and Jean-Pierre Frohlich to discuss the life and choreography of Jerome Robbins, in honor of his centennial."

https://sfballet.blog/2018/09/14/celebrating-jerome-robbins-helgi-tomasson-patricia-mcbride-jean-piere-frohlich-and-ellen-sorrin/

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post

OK, I was flipping past one of the PBS channels, and on the Joanne Weir cooking show there was a young woman standing next to her that made me do a double take - it looked just like Sarah Van Patten. Once the friend began talking, then I knew it was definitely SVP. Unfortunately the episode was close to the end so I didn't get to watch the entire thing. I'm not sure if SVP was only part of the Pastitso segment or if she's also making Scordalia with Joanne Weir.  😉 I'm guessing Weir is a SFB supporter.
It was mentioned that SVP has Greek ancestors, so that kind of figured into the episode theme. It occurs to me that it's sad that seeing someone from the dance world on a non-dance TV program seems so startling. They are not part of the mainstream entertainment business in that sense.

Episode 110 The Greek Kitchen [from 04-09-2018]
"Travel to the tiny Island of Kea in Greece to learn all about Moussaka and Scordalia. Back home in Joanne’s San Francisco kitchen, we’ll make Scordalia and Pastitso."

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/joanneweirplatesplaces/266603863

Its looks like SVP is in more than one episode too [she's in Episode 101: Brassicas too]:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/27767/116019607

 

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, pherank said:

OK, I was flipping past one of the PBS channels, and on the Joanne Weir cooking show there was a young woman standing next to her that made me do a double take - it looked just like Sarah Van Patten. Once the friend began talking, then I knew it was definitely SVP. Unfortunately the episode was close to the end so I didn't get to watch the entire thing. I'm not sure if SVP was only part of the Pastitso segment or if she's also making Scordalia with Joanne Weir.  😉 I'm guessing Weir is a SFB supporter.
It was mentioned that SVP has Greek ancestors, so that kind of figured into the episode theme. It occurs to me that it's sad that seeing someone from the dance world on a non-dance TV program seems so startling. They are not part of the mainstream entertainment business in that sense.

Episode 110 The Greek Kitchen [from 04-09-2018]
"Travel to the tiny Island of Kea in Greece to learn all about Moussaka and Scordalia. Back home in Joanne’s San Francisco kitchen, we’ll make Scordalia and Pastitso."

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/joanneweirplatesplaces/266603863

Its looks like SVP is in more than one episode too [she's in Episode 101: Brassicas too]:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/27767/116019607

 

SVP is not the only SFB dancer to appear on Ms. Weir's show.  Both Pascal Molat and Joan Boada appeared on her show twice.  I also recall a FB post (I think on the SFB page) of James Sofranko with Joanne Weir.

I found this list of episodes of her show Joanne Weir Gets Fresh (https://www.joanneweir.com/getsfresh/) and scrolled down the list of Season 1 to find the episodes with SVP, Pascal, & Joan.  Joan also appears in the first episode of season 2.

James Sofranko appears on Episode 11 of Plates and Places Season 2:  https://ww2.kqed.org/pressroom/2019/01/11/joanne-weirs-plates-places-season-2/.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, sf_herminator said:

SVP is not the only SFB dancer to appear on Ms. Weir's show.  Both Pascal Molat and Joan Boada appeared on her show twice.  I also recall a FB post (I think on the SFB page) of James Sofranko with Joanne Weir.

I found this list of episodes of her show Joanne Weir Gets Fresh (https://www.joanneweir.com/getsfresh/) and scrolled down the list of Season 1 to find the episodes with SVP, Pascal, & Joan.  Joan also appears in the first episode of season 2.

James Sofranko appears on Episode 11 of Plates and Places Season 2:  https://ww2.kqed.org/pressroom/2019/01/11/joanne-weirs-plates-places-season-2/.

Ah ha! I suppose WEir's program is well known to Bay Area residents. But since I've been exiled to So Cal I'm not as up on SF TV shows. Weir has to have some kind of donor connection to SFB. Now I'm wondering if she talks much about the "students" backgrounds, or if it's kept quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, PeggyTulle said:

The post is no longer there... 

I did not expect Tiit’s post to stay there for long.  It does not reflect well on the company when one of its most senior  principal dancers is looking for moonlighting opportunities. It is a sad and frustrating situation but the 2019 repertory season with many returns of the works from the Unbound festival does not provide Tiit with much performance time.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I did not expect Tiit’s post to stay there for long.  It does not reflect well on the company when one of its most senior  principal dancers is looking for moonlighting opportunities. It is a sad and frustrating situation but the 2019 repertory season with many returns of the works from the Unbound festival does not provide Tiit with much performance time.

It's possible that he meant to be sending a private message to the people who "already follow" him. But he blew it.  😉
In the original post, Helimets stated that he had a rather long down period through March and early April, and he needed more dance work to stay in shape. I understand that, but I don't think it will be that hard for him to find a side project with a choreographer, or a  guest opportunity, to keep himself busy.

As one of the original post's commentators mentioned, at SFB, there are many young male dancers needing roles - so Tomasson has to find work for everyone. Last year was a hectic season with 12 new ballets added into the mix, but this season is much more 'normal' in its demands. If each male danseur gets into 4 ballets (the number Helimets said he would be dancing in) that's a believable number. I'm going to guess that Helimets is scheduled for lead roles in Sleeping Beauty, The Fifth Season, The Little Mermaid and Shostokovich Trilogy (with London tour). Not a terrible season, but I understand that it wasn't the quality he was complaining about, but the lack of steady dance work.

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post

On another note, count me as disappointed that Dawson's Anima/Animus has been withdrawn from Program 2 in favor of Peck's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (Peck's Rodeo already being part of the season). The only Dawson available in the U.S. goes bye-bye. Personally, I rather they had swapped out Millepied's piece.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Tiit Helimets did not dance last year in The Sleeping Beauty.   He was the original (and outstanding) Prince in The Little Mermaid at SFB. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, pherank said:

On another note, count me as disappointed that Dawson's Anima/Animus has been withdrawn from Program 2 in favor of Peck's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (Peck's Rodeo already being part of the season). The only Dawson available in the U.S. goes bye-bye. Personally, I rather they had swapped out Millepied's piece.

When did that change happen?  Yesterday I listened to the Podcast 'To The Pointe' via iTunes which included discussion about Anima Animus, but now I see the Podcast has been updated on the SFB website:  https://sfballet.blog/2019/01/28/to-the-pointe-kaleidoscope/.  I will have to check out iTunes again and see if it has been updated.

I am not going to guess the reason for the change, but I do hope Anima Animus will return next season.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Josette said:

Tiit Helimets did not dance last year in The Sleeping Beauty.   He was the original (and outstanding) Prince in The Little Mermaid at SFB. 

 

That's just my guess - that he has a role in SB. Unless he's dancing in Program 2, but I kind of doubt that. Lately the mixed rep programs have featured younger dancers. I've not heard anything about who is rehearsing the "Liam Scarlett World Premiere". So that's a possibility, but again, I expect the younger dancers to be taking up most of the roles.

1 hour ago, sf_herminator said:

When did that change happen?  Yesterday I listened to the Podcast 'To The Pointe' via iTunes which included discussion about Anima Animus, but now I see the Podcast has been updated on the SFB website:  https://sfballet.blog/2019/01/28/to-the-pointe-kaleidoscope/.  I will have to check out iTunes again and see if it has been updated.

I am not going to guess the reason for the change, but I do hope Anima Animus will return next season.

I received an email from SFB (you probably have it by now):

"Programming Change on Program 2: Kaleidoscope
This is to inform you that there has been a programming change on Program 2: Kaleidoscope. David Dawson's Anima Animus will be replaced by Justin Peck's Hurry Up We're Dreaming.
Information has been updated on our website. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to seeing you for Program 2 in February."

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if the program 2 change is due to SVP and Frances being sidelined...? 

Share this post


Link to post

As much as I admire Tiit Helimets as a brilliant dancer and one of the most reliable partners I don’t think I want to see him in The Sleeping Beauty. I am in favor of more dance opportunities to be given to the younger male soloists such as Benjamin Fremantle, Lonnie Weeks, Max Cauthorn, and especially Vladislav Kozlov who danced Desire at the Bolshoi.

24 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

I wonder if the program 2 change is due to SVP and Frances being sidelined...? 

That’s my guess too. The original cast of Anima Animus included Kochetkova. On the tour to DC last fall, Frances took over that role.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dreamer said:

As much as I admire Tiit Helimets as a brilliant dancer and one of the most reliable partners I don’t think I want to see him in The Sleeping Beauty. I am in favor of more dance opportunities to be given to the younger male soloists such as Benjamin Fremantle, Lonnie Weeks, Max Cauthorn, and especially Vladislav Kozlov who danced Desire at the Bolshoi.

And so it goes.  😉 That's the daily 'problem' that Tomasson has to deal with - there's lots of impressive talent chomping at the bit, to be allowed into the lead roles. It's a better problem for a company to have than most.

"That’s my guess too. The original cast of Anima Animus included Kochetkova. On the tour to DC last fall, Frances took over that role."
> My question is why there's no one else that can be brought into the 'Kochetkova' role? As per our comments above, it can't be for lack of interest among the dancers. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, pherank said:

My question is why there's no one else that can be brought into the 'Kochetkova' role. As per our comments above, it can't be for lack of interest among the dancers. I have to think there's something more happening...

Here is my take on the situation. In the last season Unbound festival Kochetkova was, I believe, the only dancer in that role. During the summer Chung and perhaps someone else learned the part. But now with Chung sidelined it was probably too risky to have only one dancer who knew the role to perform in a longer run of Program 2 as compared to only three performances at the festival. 

Share this post


Link to post

If the Company makes any announcement or there's official news on social media, it can be posted here.  Speculation about reasons that are deeper than what can be surmised from official news can't.

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...