This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB Fall 2018/2019 Miscellaneous

Another factor is that Hurry Up, We're Dreaming got good notices in the press both in Unbound and more recently in the Gala, so maybe the Ballet regretted not giving it a second run. Good press notices seemed to have helped get the full Shostakovich Trilogy a second season. 

Probably a relink, but in this recent Chronicle interview Justin Peck talks about how he likes to work with the company. (Also likes to watch the Warriors, so maybe there are some Steph Curry moves and screens in Dreaming... Or maybe Kerr and the Warriors watch old tapes of John Clifford in Rubies?)

https://www.sfchronicle.com/performance/article/Choreographer-Justin-Peck-brings-his-old-and-his-12500115.php?cmpid=gsa-sfgate-result

2 hours ago, Quiggin said:

Another factor is that Hurry Up, We're Dreaming got good notices in the press both in Unbound and more recently in the Gala, so maybe the Ballet regretted not giving it a second run. Good press notices seemed to have helped get the full Shostakovich Trilogy a second season. 

Probably a relink, but in this recent Chronicle interview Justin Peck talks about how he likes to work with the company. (Also likes to watch the Warriors, so maybe there are some Steph Curry moves and screens in Dreaming... Or maybe Kerr and the Warriors watch old tapes of John Clifford in Rubies?)

https://www.sfchronicle.com/performance/article/Choreographer-Justin-Peck-brings-his-old-and-his-12500115.php?cmpid=gsa-sfgate-result

Thanks for the link, Quiggin. There is another interview with Peck, and Marston and Tomasson worth a read (on Datebook):

Three wise choreographers talk past, present and future of SF Ballet
https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/dance/three-wise-choreographers-talk-past-present-and-future-of-sf-ballet

There were 7 performances of Anima Animus scheduled for February and so, would need 2 casts of principal women (2 principal women in each cast).  They need to be small and fast as the partnering is tour de force - both couples doing side by side bicycle lifts traveling across the stage and then repeated, Sofiane and one of the principal men do an over head press lift that is walked slowly offstage, etc.   The first and last movements have all ten dancers on stage - moving quickly, interchanging partners - tricky choreography.  With two of the four women out in February, SFB made the decision that there was not enough time to get another cast up and ready.

Edited by mira
4 minutes ago, mira said:

There were 7 performances of Anima Animus scheduled for February and so, would need 2 casts of principal women (2 principal women in each cast).  They need to be small and fast as the partnering is tour de force - both couples doing side by side bicycle lifts traveling across the stage and then repeated, Sofiane and one of the principal men do an over head press lift that is walked slowly offstage, etc.   The first and last movements have all ten dancers on stage - moving quickly, interchanging partners - tricky choreography.  With two of the four women out in February, SFB made the decision that there was not enough time to get another cast up and ready.

A good explanation, Mira.
An unhappy situation for so early in the season, but that's life. If it were up to me, I would move Anima Animus into the Björk Ballet spot.  ;)
But it's not up to me.

55 minutes ago, mira said:

A great disappointment, Pherank.  I'm hoping they still will do it in London as scheduled...

There's a couple months for people to heal up, so that's not a worry - yet [I've not heard any confirmation of whether or not Frances Chung is pregnant, at the same time as her good friend SVP]. And again, the young dancers are wanting their "star" moment, too. Wona Park just had hers in Don Quixote, so maybe someone else will step up for the abstract ballets...

Edited by pherank

Having computer problems, so just saw this info re Anima Animus being withdrawn.  I had purchased an extra ticket just to see that and Divertimento; I'm seriously upset about the change, particularly since the replacement is Hurry Up ..., which I loathed.  Fortunately, it's at the end, so I'll just leave early, but still.

Also (still trying to catch up):  Van Patten is pregnant again?  DELETED

Edited by PeggyR
Deleted comment.

Has SFB or Chung or a colleague on public-facing social media confirmed anything about why she is or isn't dancing?  Did she show at a public ballet-related event visibly pregnant, like van Patten?   

If yes, please provide a source.  If not, the only official news is whether she has or hasn't been cast. 

22 minutes ago, Helene said:

Has SFB or Chung or a colleague on public-facing social media confirmed anything about why she is or isn't dancing?  Did she show at a public ballet-related event visibly pregnant, like van Patten?   

If yes, please provide a source.  If not, the only official news is whether she has or hasn't been cast. 

My apologies; I didn't mean to start rumors but was just trying  to clarify comments re Chung upthread and on other threads that I didn't fully understand.  Offending comment has been deleted.

6 hours ago, PeggyR said:

Having computer problems, so just saw this info re Anima Animus being withdrawn.  I had purchased an extra ticket just to see that and Divertimento; I'm seriously upset about the change, particularly since the replacement is Hurry Up ..., which I loathed.  Fortunately, it's at the end, so I'll just leave early, but still.

Also (still trying to catch up):  Van Patten is pregnant again?  DELETED

Because there are multiple SFB threads active at present, it gets confusing...
Regarding SVP's 'condition' - that was mentioned by Dreamer (who was there in person to see SVP, Chung, and Tamara Rojo with Hernandez in the audience) in the 2019 Gala thread.
https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/44427-sfb-2019-opening-night-gala/

As per Helene, I've seen no official, or unofficial, statements about Chung's condition (and she's a private person), nor has Scheller posted anything yet regarding any injuries. I'm sure Scheller would love to dance Sleeping Beauty again.
If anyone is likely to make a public announcement it's Scheller.

Last season was an "all hands on deck" situation, and the company made it through mostly intact, but now that things are back to 'normal', all manner of difficulties suddenly crop up.  😉
How very human that is.

I'd like to see Anima Animus in Program 2 because it is likely one of the last ballets featuring, and created on, Sofiane Sylve. I'm really hoping that it stays in the upcoming London tour and the Europeans get a chance to see it.
The sad reality is - that unless Sylve is trying to beat Sylvie Guillem's record for longevity - we likely only have a small number of opportunities to see her dance again. The same goes for Yuan Yuan Tan. This is the final stretch.

Four Freely Mad submissions to the 2019 SF Danceworks Festival are available now on YouTube
(Freely Mad is: Benjamin Freemantle and Madison Keesler)

Director: Benjamin Freemantle
Cinematographer: Madison Keesler
Choreographers: Brett Conway, Dana Genshaft, Laura O'Malley, Nicholas Korkos
Post Production: Benjamin Freemantle & Madison Keesler

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHagAsO_BieA53rOSC-XmYw

San Francisco Ballet:
SF Ballet Fan Fest: Company Class Observation

"Celebrate Bay Area Dance Week with us! On April 27, watch an SF Ballet Company class led by one of our ballet masters, on stage at the beautiful War Memorial Opera House. It's free to attend, but make sure you RSVP!

Plus, from 10 am-2 pm, Fan Fest returns with family friendly booths where you can try on a tutu, learn about pointe shoes, and learn the history of SF Ballet. And, you can grab a picnic lunch (or breakfast!) from Crepes 'N' Waffles' food truck, all in the outdoor courtyard between the Opera House and the Veteran's Building."

Special Instructions for Participants:
"Fan Fest is open from 10 am - 2 pm. Company Class viewing is from 12 pm - 1 pm. Doors open at 11:45 am. Enjoy open seating in the Opera House auditorium. No food, drink, or photography is permitted inside the Opera House."

https://bayareadance.org/event-details/?e_id=98

Edited by pherank

Quite unbeknownst to most of us, Yuan Yuan Tan was a nominee for the Best Dancer (ballerina) category at this year's Prix Benois de la Danse:

YUAN YUAN TAN – Duet Take a Deep Breath, Bound to, K.Henson/Ch.Wheeldon. San Francisco Ballet.

The eventual two winners were:

ASHLEY BOUDER – Swanilda, Coppelia, L.Delibes/G.Balanchine. New York City Ballet
ELISA CARRILLO CABRERA –Juliet, Romeo and Juliet, S.Prokofiev/N.Duato. State Ballet Berlin

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxxHHnxhXgU/

The nominees for the various categories:

https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/90111/