This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Woohoo! Onegin DVD now available!!!!

Finally! What ballet lovers have been yearning for: a DVD of John Cranko's Onegin. Starring Alicia Amatriain, Friedemann Vogel, David Moore, Elisa Badenes, Jason Reilly and Marcia Haydee and the Stuttgart Ballet, with the time-honoured designs by Jurgen Rose.

Available in all formats from amazon worldwide.

I'm wondering what triggered this release. I can't find any other Cranko or Stuttgart ballets on DVD, although it appears there was an ancient VHS no longer available. I'd also love to get his R&J, especially because of the intriguing comparisons with MacMillan's. European companies are usually so generous in releasing DVDs (unlike the American companies!). Perhaps they need money? Or perhaps they feel overshadowed by all the other companies gaining worldwide recognition with their DVDs? Anybody know the story?

16 hours ago, California said:

I'm wondering what triggered this release. I can't find any other Cranko or Stuttgart ballets on DVD, although it appears there was an ancient VHS no longer available. I'd also love to get his R&J, especially because of the intriguing comparisons with MacMillan's. European companies are usually so generous in releasing DVDs (unlike the American companies!). Perhaps they need money? Or perhaps they feel overshadowed by all the other companies gaining worldwide recognition with their DVDs? Anybody know the story?

I believe there were rights issues, but in the last year all of the Cranko story ballets have been filmed, and I am sure they will be released in due course.

1 minute ago, kbarber said:

I believe there were rights issues, but in the last year all of the Cranko story ballets have been filmed, and I am sure they will be released in due course.

Very glad to hear this. It would be fun to be able to do a close comparison of the two R&Js (Cranko-MacMillan). 

Speaking of rights: I'm reminded that there was a problem with the LeClerq cookbook. Wish they'd get that resolved!

Mine arrived today. I've never seen these principals in the theater (Vogel and Amatriain) but they were terrific on this DVD from 2017. With a dark set, it was sometimes difficult to see dancers clearly (despite my fiddling with settings), but it will do. A second DVD is included with an interview with the costume designer Jurgen Rose, Marcia Haydee and Reid Anderson. Almost two hours long (in German with English subtitles) it has some interesting tidbits, e.g.: Cranko had originally been commissioned to create this ballet for the Royal Ballet with Nureyev, Fonteyn, Dowell, and Sibley. But it was cancelled by the Royal (no explanation given) before he could get started and decided to just do it for Stuttgart instead.

You'll find the explanation in Jann Parry's "Different Drummer", the biography of Kenneth MacMillan - it was the board of the Royal Opera House that had problems with choreographers using music that was not written for dance. Cranko intended to make Onegin with the opera music by Tchaikovsky, it was only at Stuttgart that someone, I guess the opera director, talked him out of it. The ROH board also forbid MacMillan to use Mahler's "Song of the Earth", so he went to Stuttgart to create it there.

Stuttgart's Cranko series has continued post-pandemic with a DVD of The Taming of the Shrew. With Elisa Badenes, Jason Reilly, Veronika Verterich and Marti Fernandez Paixa, filmed in May 2022.

I hope that Katherine Barber will no longer mind when I say that I hope this performance is better than the videos of Onegin and Romeo & Juliet were. :beg:

https://www.amazon.com/Crankos-Taming-Shrew-Domenico-Scarlatti/dp/B0BHN5C34D/