This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2018

4 minutes ago, mille-feuille said:

I love all of it, with my personal low point of Act II being Mother Ginger and her children.

I love the tiny children! They are adorable, and I am always impressed with the level of their technique and how well rehearsed they are. 

I take my luck with Nut tickets, which I buy way in advance. In this case glad/not glad for Dec 5. Look forward to Hyltin who can play with the celesta, Veyette to see how he’s doing, and Pereira, not so much. But I really go for the beautiful vision of the first and second acts. 

43 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I take my luck with Nut tickets, which I buy way in advance. In this case glad/not glad for Dec 5. Look forward to Hyltin who can play with the celesta, Veyette to see how he’s doing, and Pereira, not so much. But I really go for the beautiful vision of the first and second acts. 

Hyltin's SPF is always worth watching. I think of all the ballerinas she gets the "fairy" aspect of SPF the most.

Robert Fairchild was my favorite Candy Cane, so bright and brilliant. 

I look forward to any reports from opening weekend and beyond. This board tends to get fewer reports on Nut than during the regular season, but I love hearing about the different casts. 

13 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Robert Fairchild was my favorite Candy Cane, so bright and brilliant. 

I look forward to any reports from opening weekend and beyond. This board tends to get fewer reports on Nut than during the regular season, but I love hearing about the different casts. 

I already have tickets to two performances: Dec 4 and 5. I'm curious to see how the Peck/Gordon partnership goes.

the following names are indicated as "Apprentice" in the opening NUTx program: LaJeromeny Brown, Jules Mabie, Davide RIccardo (Mice); Lauren Collett, Lily-Frances Cosgrove, Uma Deming (The Snowflakes); Lauren Collett, again, Lily-Frances Cosgrove, again,  Jules Mabie, again, (Hot Chocolate); Naomi Corti, Uma Demng, again, Ally Helman and Lily Zerivitz (Flowers)

Week 4 of casting up. Debuts for Sebastian Villarini-Velez as the Cavalier and Kennard Henson as Tea. 

Very excited to find I have a ticket for the Woodward-Ball-Phelan cast, with the bonus of Roman Mejia as Tea. Can't wait. The Adams-Villarini-Velez-Kikta cast also looks terrific, I would love to see that one. 

I have tickets for December 4, 5, 12, and 14.

I want to see Joe Gordon as Cavalier, Tess Reichlen as both Dewdrop and SPF, Sterling Hyltin as SPF and Dewdrop, Indiana Woodward as SPF, Harrison Ball as Cavalier, and Unity Phelan as Dewdrop. Also welcome the return of Georgina Pazcoguin's Coffee, looking forward to Roman Mejia's Tea, the Candy Canes of Ulbricht, Huxley, and of course Robert La Fosse's Drosselmeier.

20 hours ago, cobweb said:

Week 4 of casting up. Debuts for Sebastian Villarini-Velez as the Cavalier and Kennard Henson as Tea. 

Just about the only thing I remember about Matthew Neenan's "The Exchange" is Kennard Henson's beautiful, eye catching jump in the midst of a sea of dancers rushing hither and thither. There's more to his dancing than that —  the company cast him opposite Lauren Lovette in Afternoon of a Faun, too  — but Tea will give him an opportunity to show it off. 

Good for him, and good for Villarini-Velez.

This is a review of last night's performance. I buy my Nut tickets way in advance, without knowing the casting. When I find I'm scheduled to see Tiler Peck's Dewdrop, it's like winning the lottery. She did not disappoint her fans last night, turning in yet another dazzling and daring performance. Sara Mearns was a majestic Sugarplum Fairy. She is so beautiful. There is something exotic about her eyes, but when you zoom in, they're sparkling blue and friendly. Truly alluring. Russell Janzen was a perfect Cavalier, attentive and noble. Other standouts were two tall and beautiful flowers, the grand Emilie Gerrity and Miriam Miller. The Nutcracker prince, little Athan Sporek (sp?) has a charisma and poise beyond his years. I gather he's already an accomplished performer, and I can see why. Keep going, little Athan! Sebastian Villarini-Velez made his debut as the Soldier. He was not as "wooden" as others have been, but boy he gives everything his all. Not sure I've seen Devin Alberda do Candy Cane before, but he was terrific. It was great to see all the dancers I'm so familiar with, but also great to see unknown and beaming new faces, apprentices and children. I really go for the first act, the charm of the party scene, and the magic of the violin solo and transformation and battle scenes. Look forward to at least two more performances this season. And would be really glad to read any other reviews!

27 minutes ago, cobweb said:

This is a review of last night's performance. I buy my Nut tickets way in advance, without knowing the casting. When I find I'm scheduled to see Tiler Peck's Dewdrop, it's like winning the lottery. She did not disappoint her fans last night, turning in yet another dazzling and daring performance. Sara Mearns was a majestic Sugarplum Fairy. She is so beautiful. There is something exotic about her eyes, but when you zoom in, they're sparkling blue and friendly. Truly alluring. Russell Janzen was a perfect Cavalier, attentive and noble. Other standouts were two tall and beautiful flowers, the grand Emilie Gerrity and Miriam Miller. The Nutcracker prince, little Athan Sporek (sp?) has a charisma and poise beyond his years. I gather he's already an accomplished performer, and I can see why. Keep going, little Athan! Sebastian Villarini-Velez made his debut as the Soldier. He was not as "wooden" as others have been, but boy he gives everything his all. Not sure I've seen Devin Alberda do Candy Cane before, but he was terrific. It was great to see all the dancers I'm so familiar with, but also great to see unknown and beaming new faces, apprentices and children. I really go for the first act, the charm of the party scene, and the magic of the violin solo and transformation and battle scenes. Look forward to at least two more performances this season. And would be really glad to read any other reviews!

Thanks for the review. According to Mearns' instagram she almost fell off the slider last night, so it sounds as if Janzen covered for the almost-blooper very well.

One does get the impression from her Instagram posts that she's frequently teetering on the edge of certain failure or disaster. Whether that is all in her head, or if she really is declining in strength and ability is the question. I haven't seen her perform in many years so I can't make that judgment myself, so I'm always interested in reviews from audience members.