This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sara Mearns Weds Josh Bergasse

Marc Happel could develop a nice little revenue stream on the side by designing a capsule collection of  wedding dresses,  although he probably doesn't  have time.  One of my guilty pleasures is watching Say Yes to the Dress on TLC,  a show that consists of nothing but monied women and their entourages deciding on which over-the-top  gown to choose.  Most popular are Cinderella-like ballgowns and form-fitting "mermaid" looks.  Interestingly,  the one time they had a professional ballerina on the show,  she was adamant that the last thing she wanted was to look like a princess on her wedding day,  because as she put it,  "I dress like a princess every day."  She chose a modern architectural style dress.

I love "Say Yes to the Dress," and I refuse to feel guilty about it :) .  We don't have cable at home, so whenever I'm in a hotel, if there is a "Say Yes to the Dress" marathon on, I am a happy person.  

I didn't see the ballet dancer episode, but I did see one where the bride-to-be was a wedding dress model.  Her dilemma was trying to differentiate what was really her vs. the kind of dress she'd be hired to model.  The difficulty was that she looked stunning in everything, so there were lots of ooo's and ah's from staff and her entourage, and she had to hold her line. 

One thing that bothers me, though, are the number of mothers who insist that their daughter, granddaughter, or future daughter-in-law wear white, and off-white/cream/ivory need not apply, let alone any other color, even the lightest tint or pastel.  Besides the gorgeous design and detail, the color of Mearns' dress is a real delight to me, and she looked gorgeous in it.

3 hours ago, cassieallison said:

I thought Gretchen Smith's purple suit was stunning

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

I hope Gretchen is back dancing soon. Seems like she's been out for ages. 

I love Sara's dress too. 

Loved both. The neckline of Gretchen's suit is so good. Well done, Marc Happel. 👏

Agreed on the lovely wedding dress!

I'm scratching my head over this line in the NYT, though:  The groom’s previous marriage ended in divorce.

I've never seen the like in a wedding announcement.  Is this type of pronouncement common, and just something I've missed?

1 hour ago, bluejean said:

I'm scratching my head over this line in the NYT, though:  The groom’s previous marriage ended in divorce.

I've never seen the like in a wedding announcement.  Is this type of pronouncement common, and just something I've missed?

Yes. Sometimes it's even worse, such as "The groom's previous two marriages ended in divorce, as did the bride's."

I love the photo of Sara in the embroidered jumpsuit (minidress?). That is a gorgeous piece of clothing, and she looks beautiful. 

My understanding is that the happy couples who submit their announcements to the Times and are thus presumably eager for the publicity gained thereby have a say in how previous unions are written about or even mentioned. I'd suggest that such mentions could and should be regarded as welcome doses of candor amidst the flaunting of pedigrees and resumes.

In any case, congrats to Mearns and Bergasse. They look very happy, and I hope they continue so.

8 hours ago, dirac said:

My understanding is that the happy couples who submit their announcements to the Times and are thus presumably eager for the publicity gained thereby have a say in how previous unions are written about or even mentioned. I'd suggest that such mentions could and should be regarded as welcome doses of candor amidst the flaunting of pedigrees and resumes.

I have a close friend who discovered that her relationship of many years with a Broadway star,  had apparently ended when she read the New York Times' featured coverage of his wedding to another woman.  She would have appreciated a bit more candor on his part.