This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Promotions 2018-19

Congratlations to Khoreva.

(I have enjoyed video of her dancing quite a bit, but still would have said she decidedly could use a little seasoning. Apparently the company leadership does not agree or is happy to have her get that seasoning AS a leading soloist. Let’s hope this works to the benefit of her development. If she is smart, then she has a good idea of how much she still has to grow.)

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

Congratlations to Khoreva.

(I have enjoyed video of her dancing quite a bit, but still would have said she decidedly could use a little seasoning. Apparently the company leadership does not agree or is happy to have her get that seasoning AS a leading soloist. Let’s hope this works to the benefit of her development. If she is smart, then she has a good idea of how much she still has to grow.)

Yes, I hope she will not let this rapid promotion go to her head.  She is so talented, but to be promoted so far in her first season?  It's unprecedented.   She is superior to Nagahisa though, who was promoted recently to second soloist, so if Nagahisa was worthy of second soloist (which I personally do not think she was) then Khoreva should certainly be ranked higher - in my opinion.    Also, it is surprising to see Khoreva promoted ahead of the previously favoured Renata Shakirova in the second soloists.  

Renata Shakirova has just been promoted to first soloist, per the Mariinsky website, well-deserved imo. Given these recent promotions, are promotions to principal rank for certain dancers on the horizon? (pretty please)

Edited by silena197

Currently Mariinsky Ballet is touring Japan and I saw Shakirova in the dress rehearsal of Don Quixote, she was phenomenal. with brilliant technique and stage presence. Her fouettes included triples, great musicality as well. (And I interviewed her for the official site of the promoter here, lovely person)  So I am very happy for her.    

A photo from the dress rehearsal in Tokyo on Wednesday

.resize1545.jpg

Wonderful news that Renata Shakirova has received this recognition and that there are other possibilities this season. Advancing the young, promising dancers is fine and totally understandable. I try not to places an over-amount of importance on these things, but, for me, it would be equally fine if someone like Yekaterina Osmolkina was also included.

Edited by Buddy
On 12/1/2018 at 7:06 PM, Buddy said:

Wonderful news that Renata Shakirova has received this recognition and that there are other possibilities this season. Advancing the young, promising dancers is fine and totally understandable. I try not to places an over-amount of importance on these things, but, for me, it would be equally fine if someone like Yekaterina Osmolkina was also included.

Buddy, I agree.  I, too am very happy that Renata Shakirova was promoted, but there are several others who of course I would like to see promoted.  I would love to have seen Maria Shirinkina promoted.  She has gone from strength to strength since her year away, and is a beautiful, lyrical ballerina.  Female promotions to the role of principal would be VERY welcome and yes, Osmolkina is long overdue a promotion, but every year it seems a little more unlikely, given her age.  Novikova, too, should have been a principal long ago, in my opinion.  And then there are the men .... Stepin, Ermakov and Zverev ... where are the promotions for them???

I just found some video clips of Renata Shakirova in Ratmansky's Cinderella. She's precious ! In addition she's got Vrooma ! (This is a word from a far away part of this world that is as it sounds. Anyone who can tell me the exact definition gets a big smile.)

And in addition to that and many, many other qualities she makes you feel good and that's not bad. 

Edited by Buddy