This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

promotions 2018

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Anyway. I still think about seeing Laracey in her Concerto Barocco debut last Spring and how magnificent she was. She danced like a principal. Has anyone at NYCB ever been promoted to principal at 35+? I know that's rare anywhere, but maybe she'll get "lucky" like Abrera did across the plaza.

Maybe Judith Fugate? She joined the company in 1973, was promoted to soloist in 1979, and then to principal in 1986. So, it took her 13 years to get from corps to principal, and she spent about 7 years as a soloist.  (And one also had the sense at the time that she was going to finish her career there.) Laracey's been with the company for 15 years and a soloist for five of them. 

It took Rebecca Krohn a very long time to move up to principal.   I think it may have been around 13 years, but I can't recall.

I missed Laracey's Concerto  Barocco performances last spring.  I was surprised they didn't give her a single performance of that ballet during the fall season.  Note that she is debuting on the tour this week in Shanghai in Stravinsky Violin Concerto.

It took Adrian D-W 10 years to be promoted to principal: he joined in 2003, was promoted to soloist in 2010 and principal in 2013.

Ask La Cour was 11 years -- joined in 2002, soloist 2003, principal 2013.

It took Georgina Pazcoguin and Lauren King 10 years just to be promoted to soloist.

It took Troy Schumacher 12 years to be promoted to soloist.

2 hours ago, abatt said:

I missed Laracey's Concerto  Barocco performances last spring.  I was surprised they didn't give her a single performance of that ballet during the fall season.  Note that she is debuting on the tour this week in Shanghai in Stravinsky Violin Concerto.

I stupidly watched the Farrell video the night before and still found Laracey's performance incredibly moving and beautiful. She and Reichlen have set the bar really high when it comes to that role. I'm so glad she's getting more opportunities thrown her way. 

On 10/14/2018 at 8:12 PM, vipa said:

I believe Ashley Hod has been out injured. If memory serves she hurt her foot during performance at the end of last season. If she comes back strong, I believe she'll be in line for promotion.

Ashley Hod is dancing again in Shanghai:

22 hours ago, yukionna4869 said:

fabulous news. glad to see her back.

I hope Kikta and LaFreniere can return soon, as well.

In LaFreniere's pubic instagram account, she posted “Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in your mind.”   In the comment section, someone posted "Merde! I heard the exciting news! I am so pumped for you!".

Seems like she is not out due to injury or illness.

Just watching the Paris video and enjoying Kretzschmar and Mann as the soloists in the first movement. Not totally sure of my memory when I first started watching NYCB but I think the first movement soloists at that time were LeCrone and the lovely Gwyneth Muller. Since both Mann and Kretzschmar will need to be replaced, I wonder who!

On 10/17/2018 at 12:23 PM, abatt said:

It took Rebecca Krohn a very long time to move up to principal.   I think it may have been around 13 years, but I can't recall.

Laracey in CB last spring was very beautiful and sweet but I'm not sure there was enough depth or expansiveness. But then again, I was sitting in the fourth ring and maybe from that distance very few can project expansiveness. I mean it was certainly a much better performance than the frustratingly reserved and flat one Reichlen gave in the Fall. 

I was more struck by her dancing in Emeralds in the Fall, which I thought was superior to Unity Phelan's.