This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dance Your Ph.D - "All science should be explained with dance"

I had no idea this existed! For once social media has added more to my day than it subtracted.

TIL (Today I Learned) that Science magazine and the AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science) sponsors an annual "Dance Your Ph.D." competition. From the competition website:

"The party is just getting started when the dreaded question comes: “So, what’s your Ph.D. research about?” You launch into the explanation, trying to judge the level of interest as you go deeper. It takes about a minute before someone changes the subject.

At times like this, don’t you wish you lived in a world where you could just ask people to pull out their phones to watch an online video explaining your Ph.D. research through interpretive dance?

You do live in that world! Not only can you have such a video, you can win $1000, achieve geek fame on the internet, and be recognized by Science for your effort.

This is the 11th year of the “Dance Your Ph.D.” contest sponsored by AAAS and Science, challenging scientists to explain their research without PowerPoint slides or jargon—in fact with no talking at all. It doesn’t matter if you’re just starting your Ph.D. or you completed it decades ago. All science should be explained with dance."

Here's a link to last year's winner:

Here's a link to a playlist of all of 2017's entrants: