This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A Brief Intro

Hello Everyone!

I am former professional ballet dancer, ABT National Training Curriculum Affiliate Teacher, and recently-established ballet magazine editor! I have just created a website called The Traveling Ballerina as a resource dedicated solely to all of us ballet lovers out there. It includes a growing database of performances as well as a magazine containing relevant news and reviews.

I'm also an avid traveler, who loves to attend performances whenever possible. Have you ever been planning travel or already in a place and wondered if there’s a ballet performance near you? You can search The Traveling Ballerina by location, company, or date to find the answer! Or...if there is a particular ballet or choreographer you want to see or a specific theater that you want to visit, you can filter results by those keywords as well. You can also leave ratings and reviews for any of the ballet performances listed. Perhaps you have seen that company or ballet before, or maybe you’re on the fence whether to go or not.

I hope you all will have a look - thank you for your support!

Edited by The Traveling Ballerina

I am always happy to read reviews of "Jewels" -- it makes me feel like I was there.  I don't get to see NYCB often, but I have seen most of the dancers you reviewed in other roles or in short videos of "Jewels," so I was able to envision them in your descriptions.

PNB tends to do the two-peat or three-peat when they have the rights over a limited time, to get the most out of their contracts.  I haven't read or heard (in Q&A's or lectures) that the Balanchine rep has these time restraints, and while I wish "Jewels" were performed as regularly as "Swan Lake," it isn't.  I've got my fingers crossed that, because PNB invested heavily in Jerome Kaplan's redesign that we'll see it more often.  (Although that hasn't happened with their custom and gorgeous "Giselle.")

So in the meantime, I live vicariously through reviews.

44 minutes ago, Helene said:

I am always happy to read reviews of "Jewels" -- it makes me feel like I was there.  I don't get to see NYCB often, but I have seen most of the dancers you reviewed in other roles or in short videos of "Jewels," so I was able to envision them in your descriptions.

PNB tends to do the two-peat or three-peat when they have the rights over a limited time, to get the most out of their contracts.  I haven't read or heard (in Q&A's or lectures) that the Balanchine rep has these time restraints, and while I wish "Jewels" were performed as regularly as "Swan Lake," it isn't.  I've got my fingers crossed that, because PNB invested heavily in Jerome Kaplan's redesign that we'll see it more often.  (Although that hasn't happened with their custom and gorgeous "Giselle.")

So in the meantime, I live vicariously through reviews.

I feel so fortunate to have been able to see the ballet in its entirety. Aside from limited engagements, I feel that many companies often only perform one of the sections at any given time. I will think of you when the time (hopefully) comes to post a listing of PNB doing "Jewels"!