This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

World Ballet Day 2018, October 2

Helene

I know that a certain percentage of dancers and staff don't enjoy having their 'private' classes and rehearsals interrupted by a film crew. And SFB is preparing for their upcoming tour dates in New York and Washington DC in late October, so perhaps the decision was made not to spend the money and sacrifice even a day of their time (granted, the video crew requires a number of days to prepare the building for live streaming). Tours, even really short tours, are expensive, I get that, but performances in NYC don't do anything for the Asian, European and Latin American markets. And performances in Washington DC don't do anything for any market. It's just 'an honor'.

If the companies involved are not raising separate monies for WBD, they should be - there can be specific donors for WBD just like anything else.

Edited by pherank

Pacific Northwest Ballet posted to Facebook that they will do a segment featuring a rehearsal of "Dances at a Gathering" for World Ballet Day. The stagers were Jenifer Ringer and Philip Neal.  

https://www.facebook.com/PNBallet/videos/417032288827285/

The post says 11am on October 2.  I'm assuming that's PDT.

Here is the World Ballet Day Facebook events page link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1783694561719615/

It looks like there are only three hosts this year.

I love World Ballet Day, but per usual it makes me feel like an idiot as I can never figure out where to go to watch things when they are happening. (Every year someone on THIS website helps me out.)

Is there one FB page where everything is being shown?  I have found a FB page for" World Ballet Day," but it's not at all clear that's where I go to watch everything.  They don't give a link or say--or even say, watch it HERE.

(I do greatly prefer youtube which is easier to search and which I can watch on my television--hence much better picture too.)

I hope there is a great deal more that is live than last year--from all companies--but I'm not hopeful. Last year often felt like a bunch of infomercials and not just from the Bolshoi. The company classes have actually come to be my favorite part.

Edited by Drew
1 hour ago, Drew said:

I love World Ballet Day, but per usual it makes me feel like an idiot as I can never figure out where to go to watch things when they are happening. (Every year someone on THIS website helps me out.)

Is there one FB page where everything is being shown?  I have found a FB page for" World Ballet Day," but it's not at all clear that's where I go to watch everything.  They don't give a link or say--or even say, watch it HERE.

(I do greatly prefer youtube which is easier to search and which I can watch on my television--hence much better picture too.)

I hope there is a great deal more that is live than last year--from all companies--but I'm not hopeful. Last year often felt like a bunch of infomercials and not just from the Bolshoi. The company classes have actually come to be my favorite part.

The WBD website used to have a live stream going on the day, and so did the SFB website, but it does change each year, so who knows? I'm sure we'll post directions again once the schedule is settled. Facebook streaming remains a pain in the neck - it's always better when someone offers a YouTube live stream.

From the WBD Facebook page - it's confusing because this implies there's no one place to watch the live stream:

SCHEDULE (Click on the links to watch each company's stream)

The Australian Ballet, Melbourne
11:00-16:00 AEST (UTC+10hrs)

Большой театр России / Bolshoi Theatre of Russia, Bolshoi Ballet, Moscow
09:00-14:00 MSK (UTC +3hrs)

Royal Opera House, The Royal Ballet, London
12:00-17:00 BST (UTC +1hr)

Guest companies:

AUSTRALIA and ASIA 
The National Ballet of Japan, Tokyo - 11:00-11:15 JST (UTC +9hrs)
West Australian Ballet, Perth - 14:30-14:40 AWST (UTC +8hrs)
Queensland Ballet, Brisbane - 15:00-16:00 AEST (UTC+10hrs)
Royal New Zealand Ballet, Wellington - 15:00-16:00 NZST (UTC +12hrs)

MAINLAND EUROPE 
Nasjonalballetten UNG / Norwegian National Ballet 2, Oslo - 14:00 - 14:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
The Royal Danish Ballet, Copenhagen - 14:15-14:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Bayerisches Staatsballett, Munich - 14:30-15:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Das Stuttgarter Ballett, Stuttgart - 15:00-15:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Wiener Staatsballett, Vienna - 15:15-15:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris, Paris - 15:30-16:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Het Nationale Ballet - Dutch National Ballet, Amsterdam - 16:00-16:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Kungliga Operan, Stockholm - 16:15-16:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs)
Teatr Wielki - Opera Narodowa, Warsaw - 17:00-17:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs)

UNITED KINGDOM 
Scottish Ballet, Glasgow - 11:00-11:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Birmingham Royal Ballet - 13:00-13:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
English National Ballet, London - 14:00-14:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Royal Academy of Dance, London - 14:30-15:00 BST (UTC +1hr)
Northern Ballet, Leeds - 16:00-16:30 BST (UTC +1hr)

AMERICA and CANADA
Ballet Concierto De PR, San Juan - 10:00-11:00 AST (UTC -4hrs)
Carlos Acosta Acosta Danza, Cuba - 12:00-12:40 EDT (UTC -4hrs)
Houston Ballet, Texas - 12:30-13:30 CDT (UTC -5hrs)
Pacific Northwest Ballet, Seattle - 11:00-11:30 PDT (UTC -7hrs)
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, New York - 15:00-15:30 EDT (UTC -4hrs)
Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal - 16:00-17:00 EDT (UTC -4hrs)

Edited by pherank

Link didn't work for me. I did find the Australian National Ballet FB page but I don't seem to be able to get a genuine full screen picture with it--just a window-which I can enlarge somewhat--with the FB feed next to it. (That's when I hit the "full screen" icon--I get the full screen of the entire FB discussion side by side with the window.)  If that's the best picture I can get for the rest of World Ballet Day...then...ugh....

Edited to add: I did finally get a "full screen" picture--much better--though I'm still not sure why sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. ! Still can't get to World Ballet Day's own feed....not sure what the problem is, but will try harder...

Edited by Drew
1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

The Facebook stream is embedded into the main World Ballet Day page. We'll see how it handles the switch-over between companies.

https://worldballetday.com

I've actually been getting a "The page isn’t redirecting properly" message when following that address. Two days ago, there was no problem, but now, nothing I do to adjust cookie settings makes a difference (in either Safari or Firefox). So I'm having to stick with the above Facebook schedule and links.

Edited by pherank

No luck on the link. Thank you very much for trying. Unfortunately, my work week is such that I should go to sleep pretty soon anyway....I always love the Bolshoi class but will hope they put it online and that I can pick up some other things live tomorrow.

Am enjoying what I have seen of the Australian National Ballet. (Had no idea a contemporary choreographer had decided to revisit Spartacus...)

Edited by Drew

If the page is crumbling under user demand, that's a bad sign. The viewership of the stream itself doesn't seem to be that impressive. About 1,200 people are watching the Australian Ballet stream, which isn't exactly overwhelming. 

LIke pherank, I was much happier on YouTube. The Australian Ballet just promised to put the archived version up there, so that's something.

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

If the page is crumbling under user demand, that's a bad sign. The viewership of the stream itself doesn't seem to be that impressive. About 1,200 people are watching the Australian Ballet stream, which isn't exactly overwhelming. 

LIke pherank, I was much happier on YouTube. The Australian Ballet just promised to put the archived version up there, so that's something.

Hopefully the companies don't worry so much about the viewership of the live stream, because the archived videos on YouTube get far more viewers in the end.

I found the Australian Ballet broadcast to be very 'down to earth' (befitting the Aussies), and informative. Some people will find that kind of pace dull, but for anyone wanting to know what company classes and rehearsals are really like, it's a great example. I'm glad to see the Bolshoi Ballet is having a regular class as well...

I actually could not resist watching the Bolshoi class and was disappointed when they cut away from it, as seemed to me, early and a bit abruptly --  especially since the next segment was recorded anyway. Then when I saw the company was doubling down on last year's Bayadere rehearsal with Vaziev drilling the corps, I couldn't resist staying up for that as well.   (He is undoubtedly tough, but watching the dancers and reading the sub-titles...his corrections did seem pertinent.)

I'm afraid I will spend the rest of my work week paying for this, and now really will go and try to get some sleep.

Edited by Drew

Have ABT and NYCB ever participated?

Also, some thoughts on watching the Royal Ballet feed as well as the Staatsballet:

• Osipova's leaps are as dynamic as Vadream's!
  • I'm always amazed at how quickly dancers can make the corrections given to them.
  • I go back and forth on liking Polunin. Sometimes I just feel like he doesn't enjoy what he's doing and then it makes me want to go watch someone else. But it's hard to deny his talent.

Edited by howpureisivory
Adding thoughts on the feeds....
6 hours ago, howpureisivory said:

No, not yet. And if there are any 'politics' surrounding the inclusion/exclusion of companies, I've never heard any of it. The fact that SFB and NBC dropped out this year, may come down to lack of funds, but no one is talking. Does anyone know if they will return next year?

8 hours ago, howpureisivory said:

A few years ago ABT contributed a segment to the National Ballet of Canada stream, and it was as feeble as the rest of ABT's video offerings, with terrible lighting and snowy performance footage. It compared badly with the packages that were coming out of Houston and Seattle.

It's entirely possible that the organizers (i.e., the Royal Ballet) didn't want the Americas represented by a single country, so the National Ballet of Canada, as the largest troupe in its country, was recruited to represent the east coast, and San Francisco Ballet, as the largest company in the region, was invited to represent the west coast.

in the lead up to the first World Ballet Day, San Francisco Ballet conducted a crowd-funding campaign, which wasn't repeated, but I'll assume it and the National Ballet of Canada did the math and decided the project was an unsustainable investment. in the meantime, however, lots of companies that weren't part of the official program got into the act by streaming morning class online and sometimes rehearsals at their own initiative. This year these were included in the program, even if by the time the streams crossed the Atlantic, the whole affair felt diffuse and a little chaotic without the umbrellas provided previously from Toronto and San Francisco (and YouTube). The fact that the WBD home page appeared to crash and then stay crashed didn't help people trying to keep track of the scattered streams from the Americas.

It was definitely easier in the "old days" when one could turn on the YouTube channel of any of the five main participants and watch the entire event from there.

Edited by volcanohunter
timed out