This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Color Me Blue

The spate of news relating to sexual misconduct within the dance community brings a certain sadness with it. At least for me.  Clearly, some of the accused have brought the art form to us with great power and grace. And while I would not diminish the seriousness of sexual abuse, I will sorely miss those magnificent artists whom I may never see perform again. 

Edited by altongrimes

It has been dispiriting, for sure.  I just refer to the long arc of the art: in the future, more talent will emerge, more revelations will grace the stage, and more care will be given to the professionalism backstage.  I've been yearning for an essay that "explains it all" when it comes to the psychology of men who are tempted into this type of behavior to know what makes them tick.  And to wonder if redemption is possible, and what it might look like.  

The difficult thing about social media is the impossibility to divine the true intentions (fantasy or malignant intention) in posting their words.  We all have social media and emails that we would take back if we could.  But the normalization of typing out these malignant words on the internet without realizing consequences needs to be examined.  

What a fantastic response. Thank you, Jayne. Wonderful to receive this. "And more care will be given to the professionalism backstage" is the desperately needed imperative that needs to be implemented. And as I ponder your words: "men who are tempted into this kind of behavior", I recall myself at twenty five being greatly distracted by a libido that sometimes threatened to act as a "runaway train". Even so, this is no excuse for behavior that is clearly beyond the pale of acceptability. Perhaps, we the people have yet to plumb the necessary depths in discussion relating to human sexuality? Finally, your words: "the difficult thing about social media is the impossibity to divine the true intentions in ...  their words". In this regard, I wrote the following. I hope you find it relevant to your above thought. "By the time our sometimes unprincipled media finishes with its clever spin on "sexual abuse",the accused has already been ruined. Even if due process of law has had opportunity to gain traction, it's often too late. The damage has already been done. I would submit that to the extent we are yet pawns of the media and it's machinations that we are no better than a lynch mob. While I wholeheartedly applaud the new found freedom that women are finding in this matter, I am vehemently opposed to "guilty until proven innocent". 

Edited by altongrimes
4 hours ago, altongrimes said:

While I wholeheartedly applaud the new found freedom that women are finding in this matter, I am vehemently opposed to "guilty until proven innocent". 

NYCB did an investigation and found all three dancers "guilty" of behavior that violated company norms.  I'm not sure how "guilty until proven innocent" applies here.  AGMA didn't contest the suspensions for Catazaro and Ramasar; they are contesting the firings.  The Company now says they were going to fire Finlay, had he not resigned first, so we will never know if AGMA would have contested his firing, had the company been able to contact him to do so.

You are right. I wrote that several months ago, when it seemed that such an observation appeared correct. Accusations seemed overabundant at that time amplified by what appeared to be a rush to judgement. I was simply delighted that Jane responded to my initial thought with such care and deliberation that in my enthusiasm, I threw something of a "wild gourd" into the mix.

Edited by altongrimes

I too thank you Jayne.  I will miss these dancers. I loved watching them. I hope the panic and horror  these three men must be enduring moves  them into a profound self-examination and change, as would a fatal car accident shock an alcoholic into sobriety and responsibility for the hurt that he inflicted.