This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet Fall Season

15 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I remember Unity saying that the "apprentices now have contracts," as well.

Just fyi, Clara Ruf-Maldonado is now a member of PNB. I bet she was injured. I can't imagine AGMA would make an exception otherwise.

https://www.pnb.org/artist/clara-ruf-maldonado/

I agree. Her one year apprenticeship could have been put on hold. Unions are, justifiably, wary of performers being used as cheap labor such as apprentices, for long periods of time. I know Actors' Equity has a limit on the number of audition call backs a person can be asked to do before being hired. They don't want call back "auditions" turning into an unpaid rehearsal period.

18 hours ago, vipa said:

I agree. Her one year apprenticeship could have been put on hold. Unions are, justifiably, wary of performers being used as cheap labor such as apprentices, for long periods of time. I know Actors' Equity has a limit on the number of audition call backs a person can be asked to do before being hired. They don't want call back "auditions" turning into an unpaid rehearsal period.

Actually under Actors Equity rules,  you can be called back many times,  but after the third audition,  you have to be paid for each one.

Some actors refuse to play the game,  even when paid,  and they tell the producers that they've seen enough of their talent to make a decision.  Often they end up getting the role.

Edited by On Pointe
Addendum

I like the long red dresses, the red makeup masks, the back of the black dresses in the group huddle at the end, and the black and white short dresses with the ruffles, although, the last, I'd want to see how they move.  I'm guessing the black and white set would register well to the upper tiers.

23 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

The only costume I like is the first one, the dress in teal. All the others are pretty bad. And, the fluffy headpieces? Eeek.

I also like that teal dress. Poor Gina Pazcoguin. And the poofy shorts(?) on SVV. I also dislike the covered faces/red makeup with the red dress. It will be interesting to hear from everyone how they look in the performances.

Week 4 casting is up. I'm intrigued to see new debuts in Afternoon of a Faun: Lauren Lovette and Kennard Henson. This may tempt me to see a program I would otherwise skip. Henson seems very promising. In my past week of marathon performances, I've noticed his elegance, and the especially wide and elegant line of his arms. 

A few quick notes about last night's performance, before I head to tonight's. I saw the new cast of Emeralds, with Lauren King, Megan LeCrone, Andrew Scordato, and Daniel Applebaum. I didn't think any of them brought anything new or special to the role, although Scordato was elegant and courtly. I'm not sure if Harrison Ball is new to the pas de trois, but he looked great, and boy is it good to see him back in action. 

I loved Lauren Lovette and Gonzalo Garcia in Rubies. Reminiscent of his very fun performances with Megan Fairchild (last year?). Lovette and Garcia seemed to be having a lot of fun, great rapport, and both so so warm and sexy. Kretzschmar making the best of Tall Girl, but I just think she's miscast. Do they tend to cast corps women in the role? Where in the ranks were Reichlen and Lowery when first cast, anyone know? Because I'm trying to figure out why they thought Kretzschmar would be a good fit for this role, overlooking someone who seems a much more obvious choice - Emilie Gerrity, tall and fierce.

Reichlen and Janzen were cool, composed, and serene for Diamonds. I loved them, although if I had to choose favorites, I prefer the warmth and human-ness of Mearns and Joseph Gordon.

On to tonight...

24 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Reichlen and Janzen were cool, composed, and serene for Diamonds. I loved them, although if I had to choose favorites, I prefer the warmth and human-ness of Mearns and Joseph Gordon.

On to tonight...

See I appreciate Mearns but I think she's overwrought for Diamonds. Her facial expressions often convey too much angst. I think Diamonds' true sister pas de deux is the Kingdom of the Shades scene between Solor and Nikya. The Diamonds girl not quite of this world, and always just a hair out of reach. So I prefer the cooler, more serene Diamonds couples. Of the ones I've seen I thought Olga Smirnova/Semyon Chudin were amazing, as are Reichlen/Janzen. 

And of course I never got to see them live but there is this:

Edited by canbelto

Hello from the intermission of a not-quite-packed but very enthusiastic house. 

Teresa was pure poetry in Barocco. Beautiful arms, gorgeous lifts, and she really allowed the music to breathe. Miriam Miller in the corps looked a bit lost or unfocused. 

Tiler and Joaquin brought down the house. There were moments when it seemed like the house would bring down Tiler and Joaquin, though; my sense is that the rambunctiousness of the audience threw the orchestra and dancers out of sync in a couple of spots. 

Edit after the show: Kowroski was wonderful in Stravinsky Violin Concerto. Equal parts smouldering intensity and effortless joy. (It occurred to me that back-to-back excerpts from Violin Concerto, Mozartiana, and Slaughter on Tenth Avenue would make for an awesome and sartorially striking Kowroski farewell performance.) Stravinsky is such an expressive corps showcase piece, too, and I wish they'd stage it a little more frequently. I look forward to seeing more of Christina Clark. She also stood out in the corps of Symphony in C, as did Emma Von Enck, who projects so much warmth and character. Consistent with reviews from earlier this week, Indiana Woodward's 3rd movement was terrific.

Edited by sappho
On 9/13/2018 at 7:59 PM, cobweb said:

“Inner life” - my most favorite ballerina attribute. I have not been viewing the NY ballet scene for nearly as long as many of you. In that mystical category, Veronika Part, Kowroski, and Laracey come top of mind. As we all wait for performances to begin, who else in recent years populates this category?

Also I echo CTballetfan’s call to Megan Fairchild: come back soon!!

Agree about who gives us glimpses of  their "inner life", especially  Veronika  Part.  I don't know if any other women in ABT are in that category. Kowroski and Reichlen do share some roles but they are quite different. Jennie Somogyi comes to mind too. She was a very individual dancer that I saw too little of. 

On 9/13/2018 at 11:15 PM, California said:

As someone on this board said long ago: Symphony in C is bread and  water for ballet lovers. And if there's anybody who has not yet discovered Nancy Goldner's brilliant essay, I would highly recommend that, too, in More Balanchine Variations (pp. 14-23), including her analysis of that amazing tendu sequence for the corps in the last movement.

Thank you California! I just got my copies of the two Nancy Goldner books in the mail, Balanchine Variations and More Balanchine Variations. They are fabulous, detailed, easy to read and really get to the heart of Balanchine's choreography. 

4 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I just got my copies of the two Nancy Goldner books in the mail, Balanchine Variations and More Balanchine Variations. They are fabulous, detailed, easy to read and really get to the heart of Balanchine's choreography. 

Glad you have these wonderful books! I typically re-read her essays on specific Balanchine ballets before I see them again. She alerts me to things I would otherwise not notice in the performance. 

28 minutes ago, California said:

Glad you have these wonderful books! I typically re-read her essays on specific Balanchine ballets before I see them again. She alerts me to things I would otherwise not notice in the performance. 

I do the same! I also read them when NYCB is on layoff and I miss the ballet :)

No new casting up. Adrian Danchig-Waring still listed for tonight and more. Please reports from tonight. Maybe just wishful thinking, but I certainly hope last night was not as bad as it seemed. I always hope to see him perform. Before he went out, I thought he and Kowroski looked absolutely fantastic. At this age, I like her better in leotard roles versus tutu. She looked limber, fresh, and commanding. 

A few other random thoughts from last night. Troy Schumacher in the fourth movement of Symphony in C, who/which I saw for the second time, looked totally bright and sharp. To me this looks like a new high for Troy, vindication of his promotion (which I questioned), and promising more for him. Villarini-Velez again looked incredible in the third movement, performing way beyond his pay grade, and begging for bigger roles. I was thrilled to see Mearns and J. Angle in the second movement, which is why I bought this ticket after seeing a couple of performances of this program, and glad I did. Finally, as I've said in previous posts, I'm in love with Joseph Gordon, first movement. 

As sappho said up-thread, Tiler Peck and Joaquin de Luz seemed to get a little sloppy. They looked sentimental, very fond of dancing with each other, and a little teary. The audience sentiment sent them over the edge. But I think everyone went away happy. 

23 minutes ago, cobweb said:

As sappho said up-thread, Tiler Peck and Joaquin de Luz seemed to get a little sloppy. They looked sentimental, very fond of dancing with each other, and a little teary. The audience sentiment sent them over the edge. But I think everyone went away happy. 

I hated to miss this. I'm sure they were a little sentimental, as you say, since Tiler mentions on her Instagram that this is the first of their ballets to say goodbye to before Joaquin retires.